Frobby

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Another inside the park job.

Cool, I wish I’d seen it. 

On another point, there had been some debate on Moesquit’s defense earlier in the thread.   I note he’s already made 6 errors this season.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On another point, there had been some debate on Moesquit’s defense earlier in the thread.   I note he’s already made 6 errors this season.   

I think it’s a philosophical difference that explains a bit of the difference of opinion on his defense with the caveat that I haven’t watched him carefully enough to have a strong opinion on his defense. 

I don’t really care much about consistency on defense until the upper minors (AA, AAA). I want to see range, quick hands, a good arm, footwork, etc. The mental mistakes usually decrease with additional years worth of reps, it doesn’t always happen but it’s more likely than range or arm strength increasing substantially.

Moesquit's 1st at bat Friday (May 4) at Perdue Stadium:   well hit ball to left field, left fielder Angomas and center fielder Heliot Ramos collide leaving both prone for several minutes as ball dribbles to wall, Moesquit rounds the bases for his inside the park homer - lucky Moesquit and unlucky outfielders.  

Moesquit's 2nd at bat: dribble single, to second with stolen base, to third on infield grounder, then a grounder to 3rd baseman who looks at Moesquit and freezes him, as soon as fielder throws to 1st Moesquit dashes for home and slides head first over the plate beating the 1st baseman's throw to home plate - super speedy Moesquit!

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Curious if you’ve seen him in person.

Is it that he’s not that defensively gifted or does he just have great range that leads to more plays on difficult balls?

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Curious if you’ve seen him in person.

Is it that he’s not that defensively gifted or does he just have great range that leads to more plays on difficult balls?

No, I’ve never seen him in person.   He’d be fun to see, though.    

More on Kirvin: not defensively gifted and does not have super range on defense. Never the less, he is the most interesting guy on the Shorebird's roster.  Is short and crouches to further reduce the strike zone, chokes up on the bat with two strikes, is the only Delmarva batter not to use batting gloves, speaks four languages (he's from Curacao), and is a absolute rocket on the basepaths.

10 minutes ago, KarlofDelaware said:

More on Kirvin: not defensively gifted and does not have super range on defense. Never the less, he is the most interesting guy on the Shorebird's roster.  Is short and crouches to further reduce the strike zone, chokes up on the bat with two strikes, is the only Delmarva batter not to use batting gloves, speaks four languages (he's from Curacao), and is a absolute rocket on the basepaths.

Not wanting to take away from Kirvin but wonder how Jarrett looks in the field - arm, speed?  Has stolen bases in college so speed might be ok.  But keep the attention on the Mosquito for grins anyway.

Archived