Orioles on pace to shatter MLB team strikeout record

amdcpus

o

For the first time ever in Major League Baseball history, there were more Strikeouts than Hits in a month (April of 2018.)

Also, since 1871, a full Major League season has never been completed with more Strikeouts than Hits.

SOURCES: ) ESPN.Com News Services, )Elias Sports Bureau, )The Wall Street Journal, )and )The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-baseball-season-when-strikeouts-overtook-hits-1525098290

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/04/27/mlb-strikeout-rate-hits-launch-angle-statcast-clint-hurdle-pirates-hitting/stories/201804290042

o

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Luke-OH said:

GB rates as a proportion of batted balls are down so far this season, if that holds up, it'd be the fourth straight year of declining GB rates.

Obviously changing one's swing is a process that doesn't yield the same results for everyone, and increasing the attack angle of a swing can definitely go too far, to the point of being exploitable or leading to unfavorable outcomes.

However, the focus on increasing the loft in players swings when necessary to increase launch angle is not falling out of favor at all. Actually, it's being ramped up in player development as teams try to mimic the success the Astros and a couple other teams have had as early adopters.

Even at the LL level they are teaching the elevated swing. But with the new bats (hit qualities the same as wood) that must be used at that youth level, fly balls resemble dying quails, ground ball velocities are way down too. In the majors all have the possibility of hitting one out. LL the percentage drops drastically. Don't know the value of teaching hitting fly balls to kids 45 inches tall. Would prefer bunting and even ground balls to infield pop outs.

48 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Even at the LL level they are teaching the elevated swing. But with the new bats (hit qualities the same as wood) that must be used at that youth level, fly balls resemble dying quails, ground ball velocities are way down too. In the majors all have the possibility of hitting one out. LL the percentage drops drastically. Don't know the value of teaching hitting fly balls to kids 45 inches tall. Would prefer bunting and even ground balls to infield pop outs.

I’ll make a wrestling analogy, headlocks, bear hugs, and wing and rolls are extremely effective in youth wrestling. You could teach kids to use these techniques and they’d be more successful in youth wrestling but it’d likely hurt their development because those techniques are far less effective to the point of being detrimental as the kids get older.

Same thing with the swings, a contact, slap swing would be more successful in youth baseball but it becomes less effective as players get stronger and fielding improves.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:50 PM, amdcpus said:

Brewers set the record last year with 1571 strikeouts as a team. Orioles have 177 Ks through 16 games, which is slightly over 11 strikeouts per game. At this rate, they will strikeout 1792 times, shattering the old record by more than 200 strikeouts.

16 days later, the O’s are 3rd in strikeouts per game:

Padres 10.30

Phillies 9.96

Orioles 9.79

At that pace, the O’s would break the current record by 8 K’s, but they’d be and 84 short of where the Padres would end up this year.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I’ll make a wrestling analogy, headlocks, bear hugs, and wing and rolls are extremely effective in youth wrestling. You could teach kids to use these techniques and they’d be more successful in youth wrestling but it’d likely hurt their development because those techniques are far less effective to the point of being detrimental as the kids get older.

Same thing with the swings, a contact, slap swing would be more successful in youth baseball but it becomes less effective as players get stronger and fielding improves.

I understand that but don't a lot of kids top out at the youth leages level?

I would think that a disproportionate number of kids that ascend to higher levels are on travel ball teams at an early age.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Padres 10.30

Phillies 9.96

Orioles 9.79

At that pace, the O’s would break the current record by 8 K’s, but they’d be and 84 short of where the Padres would end up this year.

Don't give up hope on breaking the record, we are getting back Trumbo... and what happened to Rasmus any chance he gets back?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Padres 10.30

Phillies 9.96

Orioles 9.79

Strikeouts have been down a lot for them recently. To be fair, Rasmus and Beckham have been gone and Davis has been sitting a lot though.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Ramus is coming back.

Thankfully.

I wonder how a guy like Tony Gwynn would fare today.  It's funny to type that sentence and then realize Tony Gwynn was still playing 20 years ago and had just come off 4 straight batting titles.  But back then not every pitcher was throwing like they are now, seems like.  The amount of upper 90s and 100+ mph fastballs are ridiculous.  

I wish more than anything for the Orioles to just focus on guys who have good approaches at the plate, can take an outside pitch to the opposite field and can draw a walk.  It'd be so nice if they could figure out a way to draft and develop that type of talent.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Ramus is coming back.

Just curious, is there a quote, article, etc you are using for that thought?

The last word was he was "ramping up" activity from doing nothing to playing catch and jogging.

You think health, or just he doesn't have it anymore?

12 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Just curious, is there a quote, article, etc you are using for that thought?

The last word was he was "ramping up" activity from doing nothing to playing catch and jogging.

You think health, or just he doesn't have it anymore?

I think he retired last season because of his hip and it took all of a week for it to start bothering him again.

Archived