Looks like John Russell happened to Sisco's throws

wildcard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It would be ironic if it was Sisco's bat is what eventually holds him back.   26 strikeouts in 61 major league at bats.   19 in 43 this year.   His strikeout rate jumped in AAA last year with 99 in 344.    I found that alarming for a guy who doesn't hit for a lot of power.     The current numbers are certainly a SSS but his rate has gotten worse every year since 2015 as he's advanced.    

The interesting thing is that he’s missing a lot of pitches in the strike zone.   He has the lowest contact rate of anyone on the team on pitches in the zone (75.9%).   Seems like a timing thing.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 8:49 AM, Frobby said:

CERA so far:   Joseph 4.10, Sisco 5.65.     So, I wouldn’t go overboard with the “Joseph is the Sunday catcher” theory just yet.  

5/6 update.

Joseph 4.64

Sisco 5.55

The gap narrows.

Sisco has been struggling with the bat but I think at least part of that is the pinch hitting where he is brought in cold against relievers he hasn't seen before.  In 10 plate appearances as a pinch hitter he's put up a 125/300/125 slash line.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give it to Sisco. His throwing and overall defense is a whole lot better than what I saw from him the past few seasons. Not even a small jump of "well, he improved during this time," but a HUGE "is this the same guy!?" improvement.

Looks like he added the cheat step and is benefiting from Machado and Schoop being around the bag with the glove.

The bat is starting to be an issue though.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:27 AM, Can_of_corn said:

5/6 update.

Joseph 4.64

Sisco 5.55

The gap narrows.

Sisco has been struggling with the bat but I think at least part of that is the pinch hitting where he is brought in cold against relievers he hasn't seen before.  In 10 plate appearances as a pinch hitter he's put up a 125/300/125 slash line.

Good point. Sisco has been put in some tough spots. Let’s face it, relievers dominate today’s game. 

Plus he might have to adjust from the book getting out on him a little. Between this year and last, the opposing scouts have had enough time to figure him out. Like every rookie, he’s going to have to make the adjustment. 

How much does every hitter on our team cry about the weather, or not seeing a pitcher pitch before?  Sisco will be alright. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good point. Sisco has been put in some tough spots. Let’s face it, relievers dominate today’s game. 

Plus he might have to adjust from the book getting out on him a little. Between this year and last, the opposing scouts have had enough time to figure him out. Like every rookie, he’s going to have to make the adjustment. 

I'd like to see him get a few weeks where he is catching five days a week and see where he is at.  As long as he's holding his own with the glove they can wait a bit on the bat.

On 4/21/2018 at 3:50 PM, rudyrooster said:

Sisco certainly has way more upside at this point than Caleb.  Time to pass the baton to Chance.

You might even say, time to give him a chance....

*shows himself out*

On 4/24/2018 at 3:06 PM, Frobby said:

The interesting thing is that he’s missing a lot of pitches in the strike zone.   He has the lowest contact rate of anyone on the team on pitches in the zone (75.9%).   Seems like a timing thing.   

As I've mentioned in the past, he doesn't have great bat speed. He'll need to find a way to make better adjustments because it seems like he's cheating on fastballs leaving in vulnerable to offspeed.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As I've mentioned in the past, he doesn't have great bat speed. He'll need to find a way to make better adjustments because it seems like he's cheating on fastballs leaving in vulnerable to offspeed.

He looks really scrawny.  Do you think a bit of hitting the weights and bulking up/filling out would help him get around faster?

Archived