154? Or Less?

weams

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd love to.  If the game wasn't two hours away and cost $30 a head and ended at 10:00pm.  If I could walk to the park and pay $5 or $10 to see a two-hour game I'd go to any number of Monday games.  

Bingo. Which means if they don’t attract the locals during the week nobody goes until school is out. 

I have to think the players like playing on Monday’s. Except for the ESPN game, Sunday’s are day games and therefore you get into town earlier the next day. I’d rather play on a Monday after a day game then a Friday after a Thursday night game.  

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Bingo. Which means if they don’t attract the locals during the week nobody goes until school is out. 

I have to think the players like playing on Monday’s. Except for the ESPN game, Sunday’s are day games and therefore you get into town earlier the next day. I’d rather play on a Monday after a day game then a Friday after a Thursday night game.  

Players preferences shouldn't be taken into account.   I still think double headers every Saturday is the way to make most revenue.   The more revenue there is the more players get paid.   And the players main goal seems to be paid more. 

Just now, atomic said:

Players preferences shouldn't be taken into account.   I still think double headers every Saturday is the way to make most revenue.   The more revenue there is the more players get paid.   And the players main goal seems to be paid more. 

Go tell the union that.  

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The way this year is going I would be cool with ending the season on Memorial Day.  

I love baseball wether the O's are in or not. Now I know I am committing a sin but baseball is more important to me than the O's. Saturday afternoon baseball was a lot of fun when I was a kid. 

5 hours ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Seriously.  You remove a combination of week day April games and a few Mondays and you're not losing 5% of ticket sales.  Who wants to go to a ball game on a Monday?

I doubt they’d reduce many Monday games.   The objective would be to shorten the number of weeks in the season.   

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I love baseball wether the O's are in or not. Now I know I am committing a sin but baseball is more important to me than the O's. Saturday afternoon baseball was a lot of fun when I was a kid. 

I was also a big fan of Saturday afternoon baseball.  It figures the year I'm setting up a home theater the Orioles start the year ice cold.

At least these days there are options to watch other games if the Orioles don’t turn it around.  

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the teams that win their divisions can sit for a week and accumulate rust?

I’ve thought for a while the wild card should be a 3 game series.  The solution I came up with only adds 1 extra day of off time to the current format.  Wildcard team #1 hosts the series and game 3 is played as a double header if necessary.  So no extra days for travel or game 3.

3 minutes ago, bandy75 said:

I’ve thought for a while the wild card should be a 3 game series.  The solution I came up with only adds 1 extra day of off time to the current format.  Wildcard team #1 hosts the series and game 3 is played as a double header if necessary.  So no extra days for travel or game 3.

Don't think anyone is going to sign off on a playoff double header.

Of course I don't see why folks want a best of three.  Doesn't appeal to me at all.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't think anyone is going to sign off on a playoff double header.

Of course I don't see why folks want a best of three.  Doesn't appeal to me at all.

Maybe not, but it is a way for mlb to squeeze in 1 or 2 more games that would be nationally televised and add some decent revenue. 

In regards to the best of 3 series, I like it for the fact that they play series all season and everything else is decided by a best of series.  A 3 game series also provides a better opportunity for the best team to advance than a single game where any error, missed call or fluke play could end a season.

3 minutes ago, bandy75 said:

Maybe not, but it is a way for mlb to squeeze in 1 or 2 more games that would be nationally televised and add some decent revenue. 

In regards to the best of 3 series, I like it for the fact that they play series all season and everything else is decided by a best of series.  A 3 game series also provides a better opportunity for the best team to advance than a single game where any error, missed call or fluke play could end a season.

I don't care if the best team advances.  Both were lucky to get in in the first place.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love the one and done wildcard format.    It puts a premium on winning the division to avoid being subject to the randomness of a one game playoff.

I think it’s a fallacy that reducing the season by 8 games would result in a proportional reduction in revenue.    These games in cold weather that would be eliminated don’t draw as well as mid season games.  So there will be a revenue loss, but it’s not as simple as dividing 8/162 and applying that to total revenue.    

I don’t like the one game playoff for that reason.  Let’s say that the Red Sox and Yanks have 93 and 92 wins respectively and clinched playoff spot but with one game left. They are playing different teams  The Yanks have to decide if they should go for division and pitch Severino in that game and use him up or keep him for the one game playoff.  The Indians have 88 wins but clinched the 2nd wild card on Friday.  They can rust Kluber and just wait for their opponent.  The Yanks pitch Severino and win but the Red Sox win as well and win division.  Then the one game playoff you have to pitch Jordan Montgomery against Kluber even though you have the better record because you are fighting for division.  A three game series atleast give you a chance to pitch you top guy in a playoff game.

10 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don’t like the one game playoff for that reason.  Let’s say that the Red Sox and Yanks have 93 and 92 wins respectively and clinched playoff spot but with one game left. They are playing different teams  The Yanks have to decide if they should go for division and pitch Severino in that game and use him up or keep him for the one game playoff.  The Indians have 88 wins but clinched the 2nd wild card on Friday.  They can rust Kluber and just wait for their opponent.  The Yanks pitch Severino and win but the Red Sox win as well and win division.  Then the one game playoff you have to pitch Jordan Montgomery against Kluber even though you have the better record because you are fighting for division.  A three game series atleast give you a chance to pitch you top guy in a playoff game.

Interesting dilemma.   But I think it’s fun for MLB if a dilemma like that arises.   

1 hour ago, DRJacobs said:

I liked it originally for the main reason you outlined but one game determines zilch in baseball. It needs to be changed IMO. You might as well just flips coin, same credibility.

If you let in third places teams the goal obviously isn’t to see who was the best team. 

1 hour ago, DRJacobs said:

I liked it originally for the main reason you outlined but one game determines zilch in baseball. It needs to be changed IMO. You might as well just flips coin, same credibility.

The whole playoffs, indeed the World Series is simply that anyway. Who is hot at the right time. Who has a pitcher that is not hurt. 

Archived