Adam Jones - "Hopefully we can go 20-4..."

TonySoprano

“It’s only May 3,” center fielder Adam Jones said. “There [are] 28 more days of May, probably 24 games. Hopefully we can go 20-4 the next 24 games and all of this will be behind us. The reality is we need to score more runs, we need to be more aggressive. We need to just be better. You can specify any part of the game which is calling people out, [but] we don’t do that here. We just overall need to be better.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angels-thursday-game-0504-story.html

Yeah, not buying, or even renting, that one, and I'd bet Adam privately doesn't either.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get to see the game but the the Anaheim announcers were shocked at how he jogged to first on the double play late in the game. They even speculated that he had a health issue because he did not return to the field after that inning.

They are so bad of a team that it would be impossible to give the blame to any one guy, but you need to at least act like you are interested in playing the game. I don't remember any of the "dark" years teams looking like they didn't give a crap...they were just bad teams. I've really never been this disinterested in baseball this early into the season.

The last thing this team need is the illusion that it was just a bad period, like Tillman's previous start. When this team starting going South, early in April, I did a quick search for worse starts and still make playoffs. Oakland, a team that won only 8 games through April and won the division. There were 4 or 5 with 9 wins and one team with 10 wins. This team is not an outlier. I'd rather have them play for 50 wins, discard players that are not part of the future, even if it means pushing a few guys up early. Develop in the majors and bring in coaches that can teach, not just good old boys that are fun to be around. I feel for Buck, but I have always had the sense (maybe wrong) that Buck has had a considerable amount of input in major decisions. Before Buck was hired, IIRC, Buck did some research before accepting the position and had more than a couple meetings with ownership. IMO, it wasn't just about being the "manager." It is past time to blow it up.

36 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I didn't get to see the game but the the Anaheim announcers were shocked at how he jogged to first on the double play late in the game. They even speculated that he had a health issue because he did not return to the field after that inning.

They are so bad of a team that it would be impossible to give the blame to any one guy, but you need to at least act like you are interested in playing the game. I don't remember any of the "dark" years teams looking like they didn't give a crap...they were just bad teams. I've really never been this disinterested in baseball this early into the season.

I always thought Brian Roberts mailed it in some of those bad seasons, as much as I liked him.

51 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

What else do you want him to say?  "We suck, we have no hope and it's early May, we just need to ride out the season."  

I'd hope he would say exactly what he did.

I'd leave out the 20-4 line certainly.  "Being more aggressive?"   The rest was fine.

32 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, hopefully Salma Hayek will run away with me. 

I like your odds better than a 20-4 run. :D Good luck

55 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The team needs a manager change so badly. Someone who sits guys who don't play 100 percent.  Someone who clears the deadwood on the team.  Right now the players are running the team.  Want to play Shortstop just tell the manager that is where you will be playing.  Don't want to bunt when there is a whole empty left side of the infield.   No need even though you are batting .135.   

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I couldn’t even count the number of times the Orioles were accused of being disinterested, lackadaisical or worse during various losing streaks over the years.     BRob doesn’t run out grounders, blah blah blah.

I don’t think the team is disinterested.    Just extremely frustrated.    And that doesn’t help anything.   

God bless Adam.  I love him and he's an Orioles Hall of Famer.  So I say this with all due respect, he is part of the problem at this point and we need a complete rebuild.  And I agree with Atomic regarding the players running the team.  When word got out that Manny wanted to play short, I thought, "too bad sport."  When a day or so later Buck came out and said Manny would be the Orioles shortstop this season, I saw the writing on the wall.  There is absolutely NO reason why we should have agreed to Manny's wishes regarding this issue.  He instantly made the team defense worse and clearly was a selfish move on his part to attempt to increase his value.  I love Buck but we need a younger Manager with a new outlook on the game.  

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I couldn’t even count the number of times the Orioles were accused of being disinterested, lackadaisical or worse during various losing streaks over the years.     BRob doesn’t run out grounders, blah blah blah.

I don’t think the team is disinterested.    Just extremely frustrated.    And that doesn’t help anything.   

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You say this every time I post my opinion. I'll go with my idea over yours. I don't know how anyone can watch this team now and compare it to a team from a few years ago and say they are just frustrated.

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angels-thursday-game-0504-story.html

Yeah, not buying, or even renting, that one, and I'd bet Adam privately doesn't either.  

It's all talk now. Nothing more than listening to the band on the Titanic. You know we're going down, but at least someone is trying to make it as nice as possible.

Archived