Renato Nunez Claimed from Texas

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Only thing they *might* do is send Nunez outright if he clears waivers, have him be at 3rd, and promote Dosch to be a left handed hitting platoon at 3rd.

Who is better defensively at 3B?  Peterson or Dosch?

I think he's a potential 3B upgrade on Valencia, who we know can't field.  I knew a little extra about him because of fantasy baseball, since he gets HR/RBI and was out of options so had to make a MLB roster this year.  He was a HR leader at AAA last year.  In both 2016 and 2017, Clay Davenport's fielding numbers had him positive at 3B, but Matt Chapman coming up at the same time rendered that irrelevant.  So last year, he played more LF on account of that.

Can just mentioned being good with Mancini through Arb2.  Nunez might have a shot at a little use through the 3 minimum years, if he indeed can field 3B adequately.  I'm not surprised he hasn't made it far on AL waivers - Texas had a pretty bad record when they claimed him from Oakland, just as we do now.  He might be 90% of the hitter and 125% of the fielder Valencia is.

I don't see him necessarily as full on waiver fodder, as he was Pipped by Chapman, but on the other hand, I'm sure Oakland tried trading him without success.  He's a "good" replacement level player, and we've used some bad ones of those this year.

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People keep trying to get rid of Valencia and Alvarez. They have .800 OPSs.

Peterson is a valuable fill in/stop gap for this team going forward.  He will be sticking around. 

I don’t know how we can carry Chavez?  But we should. We’re a last place ball club. 

Who is Chavez?

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I think he's a potential 3B upgrade on Valencia, who we know can't field.  I knew a little extra about him because of fantasy baseball, since he gets HR/RBI and was out of options so had to make a MLB roster this year.  He was a HR leader at AAA last year.  In both 2016 and 2017, Clay Davenport's fielding numbers had him positive at 3B, but Matt Chapman coming up at the same time rendered that irrelevant.  So last year, he played more LF on account of that.

Can just mentioned being good with Mancini through Arb2.  Nunez might have a shot at a little use through the 3 minimum years, if he indeed can field 3B adequately.  I'm not surprised he hasn't made it far on AL waivers - Texas had a pretty bad record when they claimed him from Oakland, just as we do now.  He might be 90% of the hitter and 125% of the fielder Valencia is.

I don't see him necessarily as full on waiver fodder, as he was Pipped by Chapman, but on the other hand, I'm sure Oakland tried trading him without success.  He's a "good" replacement level player, and we've used some bad ones of those this year.

He is not a good fielder. His fielding percentage is less than .900, almost. 100 less than Valencia, who is a train wreck himself.

That is also just on the balls he can range to.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He is not a good fielder. His fielding percentage is less than .900, almost. 100 less than Valencia, who is a train wreck himself.

That is also just on the balls he can range to.

Thanks for the insight.  It's certainly possible Oakland moving him off 3B didn't only have to do with Chapman's ascendance.   This is certainly one of those where I have never seen the player and just looking at public domain sources, for whatever they are worth.

If he makes it to AAA though, who is more likely than him to be next year's Opening Day 3B, assuming Beckham back to SS?

33 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Thanks for the insight.  It's certainly possible Oakland moving him off 3B didn't only have to do with Chapman's ascendance.   This is certainly one of those where I have never seen the player and just looking at public domain sources, for whatever they are worth.

If he makes it to AAA though, who is more likely than him to be next year's Opening Day 3B, assuming Beckham back to SS?

No problem. He also made 5 errors in 8 games, hence his DFA.

From inside the organization?

If they just want a stop gap, Drew Dosch would get my vote, assuming he doesn't completely tank. Left hand hitter, has marginal power but has some decent speed. Defense isn't the best, but has a good arm. The type of player you usually see in a 1 to 2 year spot until the "golden player" is ready.

If they want long term and are completely deadset on this person: Ryan Mountcastle. However, in the spring he was taking fly balls in the outfield on the back fields. His arm is the bad part. His range will go down.

45 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Mike Moustakas

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Roch says  that Saunders who is the DH at Norfolk has an opt out on Tuesday.  If he take it the Tides need a DH.   It looks like Dan will attempt to get Nunez to AAA to take that spot.

I think Nunez was picked up more for the Vielma injury, especially with Sardinas on the DL.

Saunders taking an opt out helps Bowie more, where Little Yaz can move up instead go free up a spot for Santander.

59 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think Nunez was picked up more for the Vielma injury, especially with Sardinas on the DL.

Saunders taking an opt out helps Bowie more, where Little Yaz can move up instead go free up a spot for Santander.

Using Nunez in the field is a lot like using Alvarez at 3B.  You can do it but you know sooner or later it will bite you.  Probably sooner.

This is a very minor move - It doesn't hurt to give a 24 year old 3Bman with some power in AAA to see if he can improve.   It's not like the O's have a tremendous 40 man roster.  They have a bunch of infielders injured, so this move makes some sense.  I mean... there probably weren't any all-star infielders available on the waiver wire.  

I suppose Christian Colon (released by the Braves organization today) would have been a more interesting pickup.  Remember back in the Manny draft of 2010?  Colon was the 4th pick in that draft and the second rated SS behind Manny.  I don't think anyone had him above Manny, but he was quite highly touted.  He did ok in the minors, but he had typical inflated PCL stats.