Straight talk: Buck is not coming back for a rebuild

wildcard

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

Show me what MASN ad revenue is.

You show me where you got a 25% drop in MASN's value and I will do my best to find that ad revenue number.

Unless of course you pulled it out of your backside, I don't really want to see that.

I'm thinking you made it up.

Here is a question.  Did we hear anything about MASN suddenly being a lot more valuable when the O's and Nats started to win?

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

If the Orioles were serious about keeping Buck, then why haven’t they already signed him to an extension? 

My conspiracy theory: they could have a deal in place but don’t want to announce/formalize it until Duquette’s contract is up.    

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My conspiracy theory: they could have a deal in place but don’t want to announce/formalize it until Duquette’s contract is up.    

I don't think they have a deal in place because I doubt those negotiations could occur without leaking. I believe he has an agreement with PA to stay as long as he wants and they will address after the season and after DD is gone.

51 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think using Buck's age is reason enough that he won't go through a rebuild or want to stick around another five years. 

You see guys coach/manage into their 70's all the time.  If he's emotionally vested in the team (as I think he is) and still enjoys managing then he will stay if they will have him back.  That's the biggest unknown variable to me.  Do they want him back?

As long as they have someone else managing the postseason games I'm OK with it.

I agree in the sense that if Buck stays it will be more of a retool than a rebuild. The SP is a good nucleus and the OF is promising . Catching is OK and they still have Beckham who was OK at 3B/SS. They really need another IF bat and some RP.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

I agree in the sense that if Buck stays it will be more of a retool than a rebuild. The SP is a good nucleus and the OF is promising . Catching is OK and they still have Beckham who was OK at 3B/SS. They reallt need another IF bat and some RP.

Araujo will be fully indoctrinated and ready to go.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Not at 62/63.  All Buck needs to be a Hall of Fame Manager is a ring.   He is not going to wait 3-5 years for the O's to develop a bunch on young players.   So if ownership  wants him back, and I think the do,  they are going to have to commit to adding the players necessary for a contending team next season. They have something like 60m coming off the books.  There should be money to spend.

No, that does not mean signing  Manny to a 300m contract.  It does not mean signing Adam Jones to a five year contract.   It doesn't not mean giving oft injuries Britton  a  long term deal and it does not mean giving 33 year old  Brad Brad a 4 year  contract like Darren O'Day got.  

What is does mean is signing a shortstop and a third baseman to keep the team contending.   It means sign a centerfield the can help the team contend.  And it means having a pen that can be relied on.

The O's have the starters to contend next year: Bundy, Gausman, Cobb Cashner, Harvey, Hess, Akin, Melville

They have most of the pen: Givens, Scott, Bleier, Castro,  O'Day with a couple the starters as long relievers.  Hart and  Luis Gonzalez add depth.  The O's may need to add a reliever or two.

The infield has Davis and Schoop.  They need more infielders.  This is the area of the biggest need.  Maybe Moustakas.

Trumbo is back if they don't want to trade him at DH.

The outfield has the corner outfielders.  Mancini, Rickard plus whoever shows well in the next 4 1/2 month.  Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart.  But the O's will need to add a centerfielder the way it looks now.

The team is deep enough in catchers with Sisco, Joseph, Susac and Wynns

This is all doable.  And Buck is the one to do it.  With Brady in some capacity.  With some more front office help.

I just don't see Buck waiting around for are rebuild.  He built a 100 win team in AZ in two years.  I see him asking for the commitment from ownership to do it again.  And I see them supporting him.

It's simple then - the team needs to rebuild, and so by this logic, they must say farewell to Buck at the end of his contract.  I will miss him.

Doable... well, I believe the rebuild can be done in short order.  Not in five years, but 2-3 years, with the right deals.  But it's gotta be the right deals.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not at 62/63.  All Buck needs to be a Hall of Fame Manager is a ring.   He is not going to wait 3-5 years for the O's to develop a bunch on young players.   So if ownership  wants him back, and I think the do,  they are going to have to commit to adding the players necessary for a contending team next season. They have something like 60m coming off the books.  There should be money to spend.

No, that does not mean signing  Manny to a 300m contract.  It does not mean signing Adam Jones to a five year contract.   It doesn't not mean giving oft injuries Britton  a  long term deal and it does not mean giving 33 year old  Brad Brad a 4 year  contract like Darren O'Day got.  

What is does mean is signing a shortstop and a third baseman to keep the team contending.   It means sign a centerfield the can help the team contend.  And it means having a pen that can be relied on.

The O's have the starters to contend next year: Bundy, Gausman, Cobb Cashner, Harvey, Hess, Akin, Melville

They have most of the pen: Givens, Scott, Bleier, Castro,  O'Day with a couple the starters as long relievers.  Hart and  Luis Gonzalez add depth.  The O's may need to add a reliever or two.

The infield has Davis and Schoop.  They need more infielders.  This is the area of the biggest need.  Maybe Moustakas.

Trumbo is back if they don't want to trade him at DH.

The outfield has the corner outfielders.  Mancini, Rickard plus whoever shows well in the next 4 1/2 month.  Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart.  But the O's will need to add a centerfielder the way it looks now.

The team is deep enough in catchers with Sisco, Joseph, Susac and Wynns

This is all doable.  And Buck is the one to do it.  With Brady in some capacity.  With some more front office help.

I just don't see Buck waiting around for are rebuild.  He built a 100 win team in AZ in two years.  I see him asking for the commitment from ownership to do it again.  And I see them supporting him.

Rosenthal has reported that Buck likely wants to stay in the dugout with the O's - even for a rebuild. He might enter the Front Office, me might stay in the dugout - but everything reported seems to point to Buck sticking around.

Buck is an older manager in a game where teams are hiring new managers who are much younger. I'm not so sure another team even hires Buck to be their manager. There's only 30 jobs - and how many competing teams are going to fire their manager this year?

Archived