Thanks for Contributing, Nick

bryanman8

I think one of the most understated failures of this year has been Nick Markakis' complete choke job at the plate. After going 0-5 his last start, Markakis went 0-4 in today's game to drop the OPS to .756. Going into the season, I expected about a .900 OPS from Nick. Perhaps I was unreasonably optimistic, but still, he's been woeful this year compared to our expectations for him in the 3 hole and as our "all-star caliber" hitting prospect.

Nick's shown a complete inability to hit lefties (.619 OPS), a very disappointing batting eye (.327 OBP), 3.62 P/PA), a lack of power (.427 SLG) and although I don't put predictive value in "clutch" statistics, Markakis has failed miserably there as well (.674 with RISP, .687 with RISP w/ 2 outs).

Nick hasn't gotten it done at all at the plate, and wasn't even able to get the ball in the air to pick up a crucial RBI in today's game. It's just so frusturating watching him go up and not be able to get it done yet again, and while I completely agree that the majority of the blame is on Patterson, Gibbons, the FO and co., Nick's also been a major disappointment.

What's wrong with Nick? Did we rate him far too highly? I realize the learning curve for lefties makes it more difficult for him and we need to be patient, but is he really ever going to make an All-Star Team? Or is he just another good player capable of putting up an .800 OPS?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say that I agreed with Frobby on his "disappointed with Markakis" thread.

He doesn't seem to be hitting the ball hard any more. I also agree with you about his plate discipline. He's not drawing walks and seems to get tied up very easily with inside fastballs. His swing seems very lazy...and as SG has pointed out, he seems to be changing his stance a lot.

He's got some problems, and I don't think Crowley's "hit the first good pitch you see" approach is the best for Nick.

Yeah, I totally agree. He is a complete failure and an awful person. I think his lineup spot should be given to Armando Benitez. Did I spell his name wrong? Probably. Is he a pitcher? Yes. Still....take his lineup spot from the complete and utter failure of Nick Markakis. Did that line make sense? Nope. That is how flustered I am.

(Sarcasm mode is now off)

I think Nick has been one of the few bright spots offensively this season. He had a bad series. It happens.

Overreact much??

No. 81 games= 1/2 a season. .756 OPS= unacceptable from him. Not being able to hit a fly ball with a runner on third and one out= unacceptable from anyone, especially him.

Nick's been getting a free pass all year because of his gosh darn awful our offense has been. And yes, as I said, Gibbons and Patterson stink far more and Nick's still been near average at least. Still, he has been a COLOSSAL disappointment after 81 games and is not doing anything that he's supposed to be doing at the plate. Is it Crowley's fault? Is it just a sophomore slump? I don't know, but it needs to stop. If we were in the race at all, people would be all over Nick's @$$ and placing a huge part of the blame on his shoulders, especially for his latest failure today. And I'm not just overreacting to that. For the season, he's been near awful. .327 OBP out of him, are you kidding me? Is that what you expected?

If things don't change drastically in the second half, I'm beginning to think we may have seriously overrated him.

No. 81 games= 1/2 a season. .756 OPS= unacceptable from him. Not being able to hit a fly ball with a runner on third and one out= unacceptable from anyone, especially him.

Nick's been getting a free pass all year because of his gosh darn awful our offense has been. And yes, as I said, Gibbons and Patterson stink far more and Nick's still been near average at least. Still, he has been a COLOSSAL disappointment after 81 games and is not doing anything that he's supposed to be doing at the plate. Is it Crowley's fault? Is it just a sophomore slump? I don't know, but it needs to stop. If we were in the race at all, people would be all over Nick's @$$ and placing a huge part of the blame on his shoulders, especially for his latest failure today. And I'm not just overreacting to that. For the season, he's been near awful. .327 OBP out of him, are you kidding me? Is that what you expected?

If things don't change drastically in the second half, I'm beginning to think we may have seriously overrated him.

First of all, i agree that Nick has been slightly disappointing however, since the season is only half over, i am not too worried.

To label him a COLOSSAL disappointment is a joke and i also think to expect him to have a 900 OPS is a bit much.

I thought he would be in the 820-850 range.

He is slumping right now. It is obvious he isn't comfortable at the plate.

However, his FB% is way up from last year...He is hitting far less grounders, which has led to better power numbers.

I certainly feel he will still end up in the 820-850 range.

His OPS with RISP isn't good at all but he still normally gets a run home(via a sac fly or ground out). He is also not hitting lefties all that well yet.

These are things that need to be improved and he will improve them.

He is a hot 2 week stretch away from having his OPS over 800 and everyone feeling great about him.

Nothing to worry about at all.

He has been quite dissapointing so far, no doubt about that. His last 4 months of baseball has been mediocre at best. Maybe he'll be great in July and August like he was last year.

While I'm pretty disappointed with Markakis' season thus far, he's a self-admitted slow starter. Looking at his numbers from his only 2 full seasons thus far, I think there may be some reason to be encouraged:

2005 (Cumulative)

April - June: .294 AVG / .374 OBP / .470 SLG / .844 OPS

July - Oct: .330 AVG / .400 OBP / .549 SLG / .949 OPS

April - June: .258 AVG / .335 OBP / .348 SLG / .683 OPS

July - Oct: .311 AVG / .364 OBP / .532 SLG / .896 OPS

I fully expect him to turn on the juice (not literally...) over the next few weeks :)

Archived