Thanks for Contributing, Nick

bryanman8

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's striking out a ton and it seems he's always hitting with two strikes on him. I don't know how concerned I am but when he came up I just recall people describing him as having a great batting eye and, this season, I'm not seeing it.

Speaking of being the #3 hitter, the sample size is growing, and it continues to suggest that Nick may just not hit as well batting third.

In 98 AB's batting second:

.296/.349/.480/.829

In 208 AB's batting third:

.264/.323/.404/.727

It's still a small sample size but I think he should bat second again and see what happens.

Speaking of being the #3 hitter, the sample size is growing, and it continues to suggest that Nick may just not hit as well batting third.

In 98 AB's batting second:

.296/.349/.480/.829

In 208 AB's batting third:

.264/.323/.404/.727

It's still a small sample size but I think he should bat second again and see what happens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=7707&type=batting&year=2006

Last year holds this to be true as well.

I think eventually is a #3 hitter but maybe he is putting too much "power pressure" on himself right now?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=7707&type=batting&year=2006

Last year holds this to be true as well.

I think eventually is a #3 hitter but maybe he is putting too much "power pressure" on himself right now?

Definitely possible. It's not like anyone we have is a legit #3 hitter anyway so who cares if we throw Millar or Huff or Hernandez there? This lineup is a joke so we may as well figure out, now, where Markakis is most comfortable batting.

I think one of the most understated failures of this year has been Nick Markakis' complete choke job at the plate. After going 0-5 his last start, Markakis went 0-4 in today's game to drop the OPS to .756. Going into the season, I expected about a .900 OPS from Nick. Perhaps I was unreasonably optimistic, but still, he's been woeful this year compared to our expectations for him in the 3 hole and as our "all-star caliber" hitting prospect.

Nick's shown a complete inability to hit lefties (.619 OPS), a very disappointing batting eye (.327 OBP), 3.62 P/PA), a lack of power (.427 SLG) and although I don't put predictive value in "clutch" statistics, Markakis has failed miserably there as well (.674 with RISP, .687 with RISP w/ 2 outs).

Nick hasn't gotten it done at all at the plate, and wasn't even able to get the ball in the air to pick up a crucial RBI in today's game. It's just so frusturating watching him go up and not be able to get it done yet again, and while I completely agree that the majority of the blame is on Patterson, Gibbons, the FO and co., Nick's also been a major disappointment.

What's wrong with Nick? Did we rate him far too highly? I realize the learning curve for lefties makes it more difficult for him and we need to be patient, but is he really ever going to make an All-Star Team? Or is he just another good player capable of putting up an .800 OPS?

I have to say, I can see where your points come from, but I don't agree here.

First and foremost, he is the team's leading rbi guy, and he's putting up decent numbers all around. Not spectacular- which is probably what a lot of us had hoped for, but pretty darn good for a guy in only his second year in the majors, with little minor league experience. Eight times out of ten, Nick will get the run home. As you mentioned, his average and OPS isn't where we would like it to be, but he is the team's leading rbi guy BECAUSE of his ability to come thru in those exact situations.

It's easy to pick on him today because he failed in that scenario, one out and a guy on third)- but it's only magnified because of the continuous failure of the rest of the team to come through in crunch time. In addition, the expectations he brought (and count me in as one with those high expectations), make it even more difficult to criticize him too much, at least this early.

He has played spectacular defense, and has come through in more clutch situations this year than I can remember anyone else doing so.

Another thing, if we can ever settle on a solid bat to hit 4th behind him, and give him a bit more protection, I think his numbers increase substantially. This guy is way too young and inexperienced to come down on him the same way in which we have on Gibbons and Patterson. To me, he shows much more promise than anyone else on the team, and to tell you the truth, he's the guy I want at the plate in crunch time more than anyone.

The season is half over. After the season, we will discuss whether or not Nick Markakis has been a dissapointment or not. Until then, give him a chance.

No one is taking away his chance. Half way through a season is a logical point to discuss things like this.

Cheer up young Boss.

Does anybody know the book the "Young Boss" statement is from. I remmenber my teacher reading it to us in like 5th grafe.

Dunno...its like people criticizing Lebron cause he's not fully matured and reaching his peak potential.

Nick ain't perfect yet, but he's gonna be a good one. He was stinging the ball a couple weeks ago...he's in a slump, so what?

Man this opening post made me sad.

Yeah me too. For all of the woes this year, Markakis is one guy I look at and see hope for the Orioles in the future. Minus some of the speed (although he is getting a feel for base-stealing lately), I can see him being the Orioles version of Grady Sizemore, but in right field.

No one is taking away his chance. Half way through a season is a logical point to discuss things like this.

Not when you're talking about a 2nd half player.

Plus, Bryan was determining Markakis' season to be a failure, which you cannot do when he has only played half of it.

Archived