Where would you like Adam Jones to chase a championship?

25 Nuggets

The writing is pretty much on the wall.  I looked at Moose's "effort" post and was reminded of how many times over the years Jonesy's effort got this team wins.  No he's not a good CF - that's due to a lack of range, not effort.  He wants a World Series win real bad.  And it ain't happening here.

The Orioles should give him the courtesy of a trade.  They won't get that much in return.  But they have to get all they can as part of a rebuild this season if they want to keep the upcoming losing years (plural) to a minimum.

I will root for Jonesy on another team, because I am a big fan of his.  Unless.... it's the Yanks, Sawx, or Jays.  It makes me wonder which teams can use him for a playoff run, and I'd like the board's thoughts on the matter.

Of course this all depends on the front office being competent enough to trade their veterans.  I would just like some hypotheticals.

9 minutes ago, theobird said:

I agree with all of this, but there is a caveat. If a Team is presently a real WS contender, they don't need Jones. I can't think of any of the contenders that Jones would be an upgrade for.

There is going to be a team somewhere that can use an upgrade at one of their OF positions. 

Jones doesn't have to play center for the team he is traded to.  More likely he is used as a LF or RF since that is where he has more value at this point. 

5 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The writing is pretty much on the wall.  I looked at Moose's "effort" post and was reminded of how many times over the years Jonesy's effort got this team wins.  No he's not a good CF - that's due to a lack of range, not effort.  He wants a World Series win real bad.  And it ain't happening here.

The Orioles should give him the courtesy of a trade.  They won't get that much in return.  But they have to get all they can as part of a rebuild this season if they want to keep the upcoming losing years (plural) to a minimum.

I will root for Jonesy on another team, because I am a big fan of his.  Unless.... it's the Yanks, Sawx, or Jays.  It makes me wonder which teams can use him for a playoff run, and I'd like the board's thoughts on the matter.

Of course this all depends on the front office being competent enough to trade their veterans.  I would just like some hypotheticals.

I can’t root for him on any of those teams or the Nationals.  It would be nice if he won with Braves since they have Markakis and Flash too.

Adam's biggest contribution to a contending team would be in the clubhouse. He doesn't field well enough to be a CF anymore and doesn't hit well enough to play a corner, despite the 20/80 he can be expected to put up. He'll finish his stint with the O's this year and then sign with his hometown Padres in the off-season.

The Angels are currently 27-22. They are 4.5 games behind Houston in the West and 2.5 games behind Seattle for the 2nd wild card. They’ve been going with a platoon in RF of Kole Calhoun and Chris Young. Calhoun is currently batting .154 with a .386ops and Young is batting .144 with a .549ops. They could definitely use Jones in RF.

The best story would be San Diego but that would be a very long unlikely chain of events.  
Personally I would love to see Jones and Manny both go somewhere together via trade and win this year.   Cleveland would be a great spot, Angels even better.  I think the Angels would be my best bet for Jones to sign this off season as well.  Such a fun team to watch.  

6 hours ago, theobird said:

I agree with all of this, but there is a caveat. If a Team is presently a real WS contender, they don't need Jones. I can't think of any of the contenders that Jones would be an upgrade for.

That's just wrong.  He is better than:

Calhoun, Jackie Bradley Jr., Naquin/Chisenhall, Gamel, Atherr/Williams

Not to mention his leadership.  Would not be surprised to see him end up in philly on a young team, with his former GM.

56 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

That's just wrong.  He is better than:

Calhoun, Jackie Bradley Jr., Naquin/Chisenhall, Gamel, Atherr/Williams

Not to mention his leadership.  Would not be surprised to see him end up in philly on a young team, with his former GM.

Calhoun appears to have lost all ability to play, which is strange since he's been solid for several years before this one.

Jackie Bradley has also been terrible so far this year but his recent history is probably better than Adam's as well.

Naquin has been solid so far this season and Chisenhall is also a solid bat coming off a 129 wRC+ in 2017 when he returns. If I'm Cleveland, I'm not trading anything and paying Jones a lot of money for what is not likely much of an upgrade.

Gamel is bad, so yes on that one. 

I wouldn't do it if I was Philly either. Aaron Altherr had a 120 wRC+ last season and has a 101 so far this year. He's making league minimum. Nick Williams has struggled but he's a decently talented prospect who will likely be averagish when developed. I'm not sure Jones is even really an upgrade, much less enough of one to trade any value and add the salary.

Archived