Carfado: Dan is Doing the Re-Build

weams

• There have been questions about the Orioles’ power structure, a group that includes general manager Dan Duquette, manager Buck Showalter, VP Brady Anderson and ownership (Peter Angelos and his two sons), but signs are pointing to Duquette making the calls this summer, per Cafardo. Based on Cafardo’s report, Duquette will run point on a potential Manny Machado trade, one that could provide long-term benefits for the Orioles if the GM secures the right talent in return. Whether Duquette will continue in his post beyond this season remains unclear, though, given that his contract’s set to expire and the O’s look primed to begin a rebuild.

MLBTR

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Title seems kind of misleading? The relevant quote from the original article is this:

All signs are that Duquette will be making the call on deals, even for Machado. The Orioles will definitely be sellers as they transition into rebuilding mode.

So, indicating that Duquette will be the one making the trades themselves, but not any hard news on what type of rebuild the team will allow, or when. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see him being allowed to move Jones.

I think it boils down to what Jones wants.  Jones has veto power on trades, and if he were to tell ownership that he doesn’t mind being traded to a contender for the latter half of the season then I think he is fair game.  I doubt Peter would veto a trade that’s that Jones wants.  I’ve heard a fair amount of speculation that Jones would welcome a trade to a playoff bound team. 

Archived