MiLB.com: Stewart Learned From Jones

weams

"In Spring Training, being around Adam Jones every day, I could see how he goes about his business," Stewart said.

And what was the lesson learned by the 24-year-old outfielder, who's ranked 11th among Orioles prospects, about Major League players?

"They are consistent," Stewart said. "And it's not just that they're consistent in their play: they are consistently preparing every day. They get everything done that they need to do to be ready, including things like getting treatment, doing cage work and getting reps in the outfield.

"They don't take days off. When you take a day off or a game off, that could cost you a potential win. And not getting a win may cost you a chance at the playoffs. So you don't want to take a play off."

Learning that lesson brought some comfort to the Florida State standout who was taken by Baltimore with the 25th overall pick in the 2015 Draft.

"I feel I've always been a hard worker, pushing myself to the limit to see what I can get out of myself," Stewart said. "You only have one life to live, so I try to live it to the fullest. … It is affirming to know it will work. But you still have to put in that work."

Cool article.  We mock "veteran presence" and "veteranocity" around here a lot but there's something to be said for role models.  DJ seems like a good kid and was willing to change his approach at plate.  Glad to see his work paying off.

I just hope he doesn't learn Jones' approach at the plate.  Truthfully, I'd be OK with Jones sticking around as a corner outfielder.   He's definitely a leader and seems to have the respect of his teammates and other teams' players.    I just don't think there's a spot for him unless Hays continues to flounder in the minors this season.

19 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I just hope he doesn't learn Jones' approach at the plate.  Truthfully, I'd be OK with Jones sticking around as a corner outfielder.   He's definitely a leader and seems to have the respect of his teammates and other teams' players.    I just don't think there's a spot for him unless Hays continues to flounder in the minors this season.

I don’t think watching jones take batting practice and prep for the season, is going to hurt anyone’s patience at the plate in a real game. 

34 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Cool article.  We mock "veteran presence" and "veteranocity" around here a lot but there's something to be said for role models.  DJ seems like a good kid and was willing to change his approach at plate.  Glad to see his work paying off.

I'm glad he learned from AJ. Not CD. 

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sliders low and outside?

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Swing as hard as you can.

So funny. Most teams would love to have a leader like AJ both on and off the field. There aren’t perfect ballplayers but he has a lot to proud of in this life, even outside of baseball. 

14 hours ago, Rene88 said:

So funny. Most teams would love to have a leader like AJ both on and off the field. There aren’t perfect ballplayers but he has a lot to proud of in this life, even outside of baseball. 

Good lord man... every time someone mentions anything even moderately critical of Jones.

I'm not making some judgment of the man personally. He hustles, he plays every day, he's always positive, etc...  he's pretty consistent. He's going to approach every at bat the same way. The problem is 7 out of 9 guys in our lineup do the same thing. (Save Machado & Sisco.) 

I wish he was 22 again. Right now he's more valuable to the team as a corner outfielder in my estimation. 

On 5/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, pdiddy said:

Metrics sometimes don't predict well. Jones is pretty much who he always was.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/05/trade-candidate-scooter-gennett.html

Archived