Embrace the Losing

wildcard

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m embracing not watching baseball.    Read the paper, read a book, watch hockey, watch a TV show that isn’t sports.    Check the score on my phone and tune in around the 7th inning if we’re actually winning.    Watch the post-game show (which I’ve named “Gloatfest”) if they win.   Otherwise, pretend this season really isn’t happening.    

It’s working pretty well, but the absence of unhappiness is not happiness.  

Coming from you (and the type of engaged knowledgeable long term fan I know you are) the Orioles should be berry worried.  The fact is, they haven't had a compelling product for two years and it's tough to get new fans if your old fans are apathetic.

What this thread OP is suggesting, an engaged hopeful for the future fan, is somewhere where the Orioles need yo move towards for the future.  And fast.

Oh I've embraced the losing, but I don't matter. What matter is the head of the snake realizes it's time to nuke this situation and come up with a coherent plan executed by a legit MLB hierarchy or sell the team.  

Check my preseason poll, I clicked the 72 wins box, I knew this team sucked from the word go. You aren't a contender with three rule 5 guys, countless 1b/DH types, and 2-3 guys who wouldn't even be in the league if Buck didn't like them. 

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1st)  the contending teams have to  sure enough on their needs to part with top minor league talent.  That seem to have not happened  yet.  It will probably happens in July.   2nd) with so many teams tanking their will be competition for the contender top minor talent.   3rd)  Their are only a few O's that will be attractive to contending teams to give up useful minor league talent.  Manny, maybe Britton if he shows he is healthy and effective.  Jones and maybe Brach if he is pitching well and their is not better relievers on the market.

I get what you're saying and I don't expect them to start trading this early, especially with a number of teams not convinced they are contenders.  But I don't understand why they haven't called up guys like Drew Dosch, Austin Wynns, and Mike Yastrzemski. They might not be prospects but there's nothing wrong if seeing if any of those guys have anything to offer.

Instead, they are running Jace Peterson, Andrew Susac, and Craig Gentry out there. 

I've suggested this in the past and I'll repeat it once again because threads like this are inevitable whenever the Orioles look like they have a losing season in store.  Heck it doesn't even have to be a train wreck like this one, just a season that the team isn't "contending" and as we've all been repeatedly told by innumerable sports talk radio droolers, it you're not contending you should be building for the future.  

Well sometimes, and this looks like one of those times for the Orioles, but that shouldn't remove the obligation for maintaining perspective.  Any proposition that incentivizes losing in sports deserves closer examination, and in my opinion the desire to lose more often in order to be rewarded with a higher draft pick is at best egregiously misguided.

But somebody has to be last right, so how to keep losing in proper perspective?  My solution is that the "winners" of the first five draft picks be subject to specific conditions in order to claim their "prizes" and that is that the General Manager and owner of those five teams be required to come to the podium in full clown costume in order to claim their pick.  They can always refuse and forfeit the pick, but now we have the proper perspective and an incentive to win during the season.

Oh, and the players and coaching staff for the bottom five teams can wear clown patches on their unis for the entire uncoming season.  Who knows, as a side benefit maybe we no longer have players dogging it to first on a ground out and managers who play favorites to the detriment of the team.

46 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I get what you're saying and I don't expect them to start trading this early, especially with a number of teams not convinced they are contenders.  But I don't understand why they haven't called up guys like Drew Dosch, Austin Wynns, and Mike Yastrzemski. They might not be prospects but there's nothing wrong if seeing if any of those guys have anything to offer.

Instead, they are running Jace Peterson, Andrew Susac, and Craig Gentry out there. 

Jace is the face of the hapless Oriole fan .

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

There is currently no Bryce Harper, but you never know who will emerge this summer and fall. I have indeed Embraced the Losing. 

I'd like to see Mancini moved to 1st and DH Davis. 

I'd like to see Hays brought up in July. 

I'd like to see Wynns platoon with Sisco. 

I'd like to see Mullins brought up in July after Jones is traded. 

I'm already thinking about next season. 

I don’t want to see anyone here that hasn’t played well where they are.  I do think it can’t hurt to let any of the guys who play well at AAA have a shot.

I can't embrace the losing, in part because the Orioles are playing pretty much the same team that I thought would be close to .500, with no recognition that doing that has been a colossal failure..

I could deal with it better if it were accompanied by a sign that the Orioles were turning the page and looking to the future -- serious trade talk, releasing veterans, promoting position players, bringing in a new manager or coaches, hiring scouts, a word from the owner or his sons that are committed to building for the future. 

I'm rooting for (in no particular order):

• Machado to increase his trade value and be healthy...and get traded
  • Jones to continue hitting well and be healthy...and get traded
  • Trumbo to be healthy and hit well...and get traded
  • Valencia to be healthy and hit well...and get traded
  • Britton to come back, be effective...and get traded
  • Brad Brach to turn it around...and get traded
  • Chris Davis to be benched and/or when hitting to bat 9th until he turns it around
  • Chris Tillman to be cut
  • Colby Rasmus to be cut
  • Mancini to play 1B or DH
  • Call up all the young guys

And last, but certainly not least, Duquette to be let go and a competent GM with an analytics background to man the helm.

Archived