2018 11th Round ( 325) Cody Roberts - C - North Carolina (NC)

I only watched peices of the game but he seemed to move well out there. He did misplay a ball (hard grounder/single to the left of the 2B toward the gap...he over ran it). 

I didn’t hear the announcers make mention of anything related to why he wasn’t catching. You could definitely see his arm strength on display. Even on routine throws back into the infield, the ball had some zing on it. 

18 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

I only watched peices of the game but he seemed to move well out there. He did misplay a ball (hard grounder/single to the left of the 2B toward the gap...he over ran it). 

I didn’t hear the announcers make mention of anything related to why he wasn’t catching. You could definitely see his arm strength on display. Even on routine throws back into the infield, the ball had some zing on it. 

I noticed that zing on every throw. Someone please tell him to save his ammo. There are only so many in the canon and the arm wears out.

Any relation to Brian Roberts? His athleticism reminds me of BJ Surhoff. I like this pick a lot, and I want to see him catch more. UNC’s other catcher is pretty solid player as well.

• 3 years later...

Cody Roberts is now 25 and playing at Norfolk. He doesn't have much experience above AA (only one game at Bowie), but I can't help but wonder if he'll get called up to the O's before the end of the season, especially if Elias works out some trades before the deadline. I believe the O's only have two catchers on the 40 man roster, so I'm not sure how much of a stretch it is.

Again, he doesn't have a lot of experience; after 131 minor league games and 432 at bats, he's hitting .250 with 4 HR and 50 RBI. Not much, but looks like he could be our future backup at some point, maybe battling it out with Wynns.

13 hours ago, linedrive said:

Cody Roberts is now 25 and playing at Norfolk. He doesn't have much experience above AA (only one game at Bowie), but I can't help but wonder if he'll get called up to the O's before the end of the season, especially if Elias works out some trades before the deadline. I believe the O's only have two catchers on the 40 man roster, so I'm not sure how much of a stretch it is.

Again, he doesn't have a lot of experience; after 131 minor league games and 432 at bats, he's hitting .250 with 4 HR and 50 RBI. Not much, but looks like he could be our future backup at some point, maybe battling it out with Wynns.

I get the sense he's just filling a spot in Norfolk right now. Elias has done that with a few guys this year. When Adley gets promoted, I gotta think he's the got that gets demoted. 

If there's a catcher in Norfolk that could see some time in Baltimore this year, I think it's Brett Cumberland. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, linedrive said:

Roberts is an org guy who is moved around to fill in behind the starting catcher. Cumberland is probably next on the list of getting called up but I don't think the team is too enamored with his defense and he hasn't hit much with his best on base skill is getting hit by the pitch. Gues you never know but Roberts has never been a primary starter since his initial season in Aberdeen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Roberts is an org guy who is moved around to fill in behind the starting catcher. Cumberland is probably next on the list of getting called up but I don't think the team is too enamored with his defense and he hasn't hit much with his best on base skill is getting hit by the pitch. Gues you never know but Roberts has never been a primary starter since his initial season in Aberdeen.

Thanks. I was rooting for Cumberland, but have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. Was hoping for a lot more. And I guess that's why I was looking at Roberts. I think it would be fun to see him be given a chance, despite his lack of experience, and see what he can do. One thing I like about this season is that we're seeing a lot of guys called up and given a chance that we probably wouldn't if we were competitive.