Who is available for LF???

bigbird

Here comes the pissing contest!

Anyway, isn't this thread about who we can look for in LF? Not whether Dave or SG can out do the other :)?

I think that Rios would be an interesting trade for Cabrera... He wouldn't hurt our line up, and everyone says we need to add a front line starter this offseason anyway (Zambrano?). I really would not want two headcase possibilities in the rotation. If we can get anything resembling a LF, that would be great, too.

What about Bedard to the BJays. That's where he wants to go, so we could give them an extension window and up his price. What could we get from them besides Rios?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For instance, from 2002 - 2004 Mulder had a home ERA of 3.45 in 326 innings and a road ERA of 4.03 in 292 innings. I had to crunch some numbers to get this info, but I think it is accurate. That is a pretty darn big difference (~6/10ths of a run over 600+ innings). I'm not sure I would want to rely on ERA+ for these type of comparisons.

FYI, Mulder did have 25 complete games and 10 shut-outs before he crashed and burned so I'm sure he was more valuable than Bedard to some of the people on this board. Well, right up until his arm fell off anyway. ;)

Mulder was extremely pitch efficient. I doubt his arm "fell off" because of overuse, especially considering he isn't exactly a small guy.

BTW the Buerhle trade talks are active again and the Dodgers are interested. I'd say offer Bedard their way and we could get back Kemp and Kershaw and maybe Loney if we offer Mora and $ as well.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodrep2jul02,1,2898874.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-dodger

This is an interesting quote from that article:

"The Dodgers do not appear interested in that one-on-one trade at this time."

Speaking of Buerhle for Kemp.

So you guys can talk about what the White Sox are asking for all you want, all that matters is what teams are willing to give up.

If the Dodgers won't give up Kemp for Buerhle, they likely won't give up Kemp, Loney, and Kershaw for Bedard.

Next year, we are looking at:

Bedard

Cabrera

Loewen

Guthrie

Olson

Penn

Burres

all being major league ready. If we traded three of them for a great LFer AND signed a big starting pitcher to be our ace, we would be in very good shape.

Cabrera, Penn and Burres for Carl Crawford

sign Carlos Zambrano

sign Aaron Rowand

Who wouldn't sign up for that?

Zambrano

Bedard

Loewen

Guthrie

Olson

Ray

Walker

Bradford

Baez

Hoey

Doyne

Hernandez

Huff

Roberts

Mora

Tejada

Crawford

Rowand

Markakis

Gomez

Payton

Still trade Gibbons, Millar, Trachsel and Patterson for good bench players (young catcher & platoon at DH). Or trade all for of them for Tex :)

How much are you paying Zambrano and Rowand? And I wouldn't formulate a plan that depends on the O's signing two highly sought after free agents.

This is an interesting quote from that article:

"The Dodgers do not appear interested in that one-on-one trade at this time."

Speaking of Buerhle for Kemp.

So you guys can talk about what the White Sox are asking for all you want, all that matters is what teams are willing to give up.

If the Dodgers won't give up Kemp for Buerhle, they likely won't give up Kemp, Loney, and Kershaw for Bedard.

Little different circumstances. Buerhle is a FA at the end of the season. They'd still have Bedard through 2009.

Little different circumstances. Buerhle is a FA at the end of the season. They'd still have Bedard through 2009.

Yes, but that is a huge difference in players given up, and it's arguably not helping them win at all this year or in the future.

No to Olson. I respect your opinion Greg, but my minor league "untouchable list" is Liz, Olson, Erbe, Rowell, and (when he signs) Weiter. If Penn could stay healthy, he'd be on there too.

I use the word untouchable as well, although it's fair to say it's overused. I find it a little hard to believe that you wouldn't trade Olson or Liz to acquire great young talent like Rios. I certainly understand the reasoning of wishing to keep our young pitching corps intact, but if an oppotunity comes along like Rios, I'd have to pull the trigger.

Yes, but that is a huge difference in players given up, and it's arguably not helping them win at all this year or in the future.

I would agree with you. I think the Dodgers need offense more than pitching right now, but I don't think comparing trading for Bedard and trading for Buerhle is fair.

The team that gets Buerhle would only have him through the rest of the season, and the Sox may be willing to take less for him because of that. Bedard, on the other hand, would be under the acquiring team's control for an additional 2 years, so they may be willing to give up more to get him.

I think you understand that...I'm not trying to start a fight! :o

I just personally feel that, as of right now, with just what I have seen of these players in person, that Liz can replace Chris Ray right now, and do a better job. Olson IMO will be Bedard-lite, a K machine who will do it through control as opposed to fastballs, and the other three are the future.

Rios is good, maybe great, but if DCab and Ray can't get it done, I don't know what would.

I would agree with you. I think the Dodgers need offense more than pitching right now, but I don't think comparing trading for Bedard and trading for Buerhle is fair.

The team that gets Buerhle would only have him through the rest of the season, and the Sox may be willing to take less for him because of that. Bedard, on the other hand, would be under the acquiring team's control for an additional 2 years, so they may be willing to give up more to get him.

I think you understand that...I'm not trying to start a fight! :o

I do understand that, but people keep on pointing to what the White Sox are asking for, which makes no sense because they obviously haven't got what they're asking for. So I'm just pointing out that his value to the Dodgers isn't even enough to get Kemp.

And lets not forget that a team that trades for Buerhle could either sign him to an extension or get draft picks.

I agree that Bedard can get a lot in return, but like I've said before, top major league ready prospects are being valued much higher now, so that must be factored in, which most on here are not doing.

And the Dodgers example just doesn't make sense for them, but people keep on bring it up like they would do it.

I just personally feel that, as of right now, with just what I have seen of these players in person, that Liz can replace Chris Ray right now, and do a better job. Olson IMO will be Bedard-lite, a K machine who will do it through control as opposed to fastballs, and the other three are the future.

Rios is good, maybe great, but if DCab and Ray can't get it done, I don't know what would.

If anyone replaced Ray it would probably be Hoey or Shuey. I dont think Liz is ready yet.

Olson also reminds me a little like Bedard. There are lots of similarities.

I agree that if Ray and Dcab cant get Rios Im not sure what the O's would do to get Rios.

Archived