Who is available for LF???

bigbird

Beckett is close but even he had injury issues and was dealt in the offseason, not at the deadline.

But i do think he is the best and closest comp to this.

We talk and talk about this but because there really is no comp is exactly why Bedard wont be traded. No one has ever taken there #1 who is getting better and better literally every start at the top of his game and traded him.

So we are all right here...IF IF IF a team came to us and said give us Bedard we SHOULD expect 2 top flight guys in return.

But Dave is right also in saying no one would be willing to do that.

Hence this has never happened!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We talk and talk about this but because there really is no comp is exactly why Bedard wont be traded. No one has ever taken there #1 who is getting better and better literally every start at the top of his game and traded him.

So we are all right here...IF IF IF a team came to us and said give us Bedard we SHOULD expect 2 top flight guys in return.

But Dave is right also in saying no one would be willing to do that.

Hence this has never happened!

No he's not.

(he isn't wrong either though...we can disagree with Dave but the reality is Bedard is an extremely unique case and no one really knows for sure what he would get)

No he's not.

(he isn't wrong either though...we can disagree with Dave but the reality is Bedard is an extremely unique case and no one really knows for sure what he would get)

LOL well then you 2 rocks can keep beating this dead horse!

No he's not.

Exactly....

Yea but that was before i really analyzed his stats and pulled up the injury history i believe.

I have already said in this thread that i think we can get a better 3rd player but that getting 2 guys like Barton and Haren could be in line with what Bedard gets you.

And i can't get on board with the evidence because no one like Bedard ever gets traded.

You don't see top of the rotation, healthy starters dealt, who are under contract for a while, are still cheap, still relatively young and trending upwards.

Those guys don't get dealt.

Also, the other key to this is WHEN he would be dealt. Dealing him at the trading deadline, with so many teams in cotention is much different than dealing him in the offseason(ala Mulder). Pitchers generally net more at the deadline than in the offseason.

So, until YOU show ME an example of someone fitting all of this criteria who has been dealt, you have no leg to stand on.

LOL!

You spend an entire post talking about how guys like Bedard never get traded, so we really have no reliable comps.

However despite the fact that we've got no evidence to point to in estimating Bedard's trade value, we should take it on faith that you know exactly what it is anyway (two top ML-ready prospects plus another guy).

And then you tell me that I have no leg to stand on.

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

LOL!

You spend an entire post talking about how guys like Bedard never get traded, so we really have no reliable comps.

However despite the fact that we've got no evidence to point to in estimating Bedard's trade value, we should take it on faith that you know exactly what it is anyway (two top ML-ready prospects plus another guy).

And then you tell me that I have no leg to stand on.

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Well Dave, if you have common sense(and you are a cub fan, so who knows on that one :D), you could see how a guy who more going for him than the closest comp out there would net more in a trade.

It really isn't some leap of faith to think that someone who is getting better and is healthy would fetch more than someone who had injury issues and was on a downward trend.

I will just assume that you can't come up with a player like Bedard that fits all of his criteria.

It really isn't some leap of faith to think that someone who is getting better and is healthy would fetch more than someone who had injury issues and was on a downward trend.

A leap of faith is exactly what that is, actually. Mulder was just as likely to reverse his downward trend as Bedard is to continue his upward trend.

And as I've shown, Mulder was starting from a much higher performance level, as measured by metrics like IP and ERA+.

I will just assume that you can't come up with a player like Bedard that fits all of his criteria.

I'm not trying to come up with a player like Bedard that fits all of his criteria. I'm trying to come up with a player that comes as close as possible to fitting what Bedard is now.

Meanwhile you're offering your opinion without any supporting evidence whatsoever, apparently on the grounds that no comps can be found, so there's no sense in looking back at history at all.

Here comes the pissing contest!

Anyway, isn't this thread about who we can look for in LF? Not whether Dave or SG can out do the other :)?

I think that Rios would be an interesting trade for Cabrera... He wouldn't hurt our line up, and everyone says we need to add a front line starter this offseason anyway (Zambrano?). I really would not want two headcase possibilities in the rotation. If we can get anything resembling a LF, that would be great, too.

While I expect to have a few retorts concerning trading within the division, if DCab/Olson/Reimold nets Alex Rios, we need to do it. And yes, I would trade all three to get him. Rios is becoming one of the premiere young outfielders in the game and would fit beautifully in LF for us for the next decade or so.

A leap of faith is exactly what that is, actually. Mulder was just as likely to reverse his downward trend as Bedard is to continue his upward trend.

And as I've shown, Mulder was starting from a much higher performance level, as measured by metrics like IP and ERA+.

I'm not trying to come up with a player like Bedard that fits all of his criteria. I'm trying to come up with a player that comes as close as possible to fitting what Bedard is now.

Meanwhile you're offering your opinion without any supporting evidence whatsoever, apparently on the grounds that no comps can be found, so there's no sense in looking back at history at all.

Well since you cant agree on a player let me provide one to look at it from both sides. Lets say Zambrano has 2.5 yrs left on his contract and lets say he was making $4 million this year and had 2 yrs of arbitration left. What would you expect to get back in a trade for him?

While I expect to have a few retorts concerning trading within the division, if DCab/Olson/Reimold nets Alex Rios, we need to do it. And yes, I would trade all three to get him. Rios is becoming one of the premiere young outfielders in the game and would fit beautifully in LF for us for the next decade or so.

He is really the guy that intrigues me the most, especially because they are willing to give him up, but I still think that is too much.

What was their asking price this summer? It has to be higher now right?

Archived