Fahey Needs to Go..NOW!

JDBirds10

QUOTE=kakesmvp;1388539]seriously, Fahey may not be Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes, or even the puppy killer Miguel Tejada.... but why do you have to hate on him so much? He hustles every single play, he is a solid defender and he seemingly comes through with some clutch hits. In the past couple of games, I have seen him come up with some very clutch hits. with that said, I would rather us go find a good SS, but I'm not going to hate on Fahey and call him the worst player in the Major Leagues.

I pretty much agree, yet you got people here like El Gordo who for reasons that defy what is easily observed think Bynum is actually a good glove man at short. How anyone can watch him try to play the position and not cringe is beyond comprehension to me. He is horrible, simply horrible. Fahey and LH are twice as good. Throwing out stats to proclaim Bynum is better at fielding the position just proves that some people here either

1) Don't actually watch the games or

2) Have not the faintest clue what they are watching.

I cannot really fault someone who fits under number two, but if people are actually posting here like they think they know what they are talking about but who don't watch the games, I find that beyond unexcusable.:mad::old5fan:

I think it's funny that people waste so much time debating the merits of Fahey vs. Bynum vs. Luis Hernandez....they all stink!*

*By "stink" I mean not worthy of being a starting MLB SS...I recognize that in the grand scheme of things they are some of the best baseball players in the world.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is for all of the people who knock the SS situation we are stuck with atleast until the end of the season. To paraphrase Rick Pitino:

Cal Ripken is not walking through that door, fans. Mark Belanger is not walking through that door, and Luis Aparicio is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and we're going to improve. People don't realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this board will be for all of us because there are young guys in that clubhouse playing their asses off. I wish we had $100 million to throw around like the Yankees and Red Sox. I wish we could buy the world. We can't. the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that's on this board sucks. I've been around when Johnny Unitas was booed. I've been around when Gino Marchetti was booed. And it stinks. It makes the greatest board, greatest forum in the world, lousy. The only thing that will turn this around is being upbeat and positive like we are in that locker room... and if you think I'm going to succumb to negativity, you're wrong. You've got the wrong guy cheering this team.

This is for all of the people who knock the SS situation we are stuck with atleast until the end of the season. To paraphrase Rick Pitino:

Actually, defensively I think Fahey may be the best SS the Orioles have trotted out there since Bordick retired. His bat is below par but I can live with him for now as he is the best of the bunch overall by a nose.

Actually, defensively I think Fahey may be the best SS the Orioles have trotted out there since Bordick retired. His bat is below par but I can live with him for now as he is the best of the bunch overall by a nose.

I don't care who we play at SS day in and day out, as long as that player is hustling and doing the little things (getting bunts down, moving runners over, making the routine defensive play). As soon as that player starts to not hustle or due the little things, then it's time for the next guy.

Everyone we have put out there so far has done what has been asked of. The players are going to make physical errors such as having a ball bounce through their legs or make a bad throw every now and then, but it will be alright for now as long as the shortstops eliminate the mental mistakes.

Gents,

Until the era of the "Offensive Shortstop", there were tons of guys like Fahey and Bynum starting in the majors and enjoying long careers. Guys like Belanger and Alfredo Griffin to name two from the AL East had weak bats and good gloves and were longtime contributers to winning teams. In the current post-steroids period in baseball, we are going to have to rethink player performance and stats, looking a little farther back than the last 20 years and realize that players with good shortstop skill sets are quite often going to be "no hit-good field."

I may just agree with you here. Fahey is very fundamentally sound at SS. I think Hernandez and Bynum may have slightly better range, but Fahey is steadier and really makes all the plays that he should make. Offensively, he's weak, but he does get his bat on the ball, can bunt, and throws in an extra base hit every once in a while.

I may just agree with you here. Fahey is very fundamentally sound at SS. I think Hernandez and Bynum may have slightly better range, but Fahey is steadier and really makes all the plays that he should make. Offensively, he's weak, but he does get his bat on the ball, can bunt, and throws in an extra base hit every once in a while.

He is fundamentally sound, but I've never been impressed with his arm.

He is fundamentally sound, but I've never been impressed with his arm.

The throws from deep in the hole give him trouble, no doubt. But at least he's accurate. And I think he's the best in terms of making good throws on DP grounders.

The throws from deep in the hole give him trouble, no doubt. But at least he's accurate. And I think he's the best in terms of making good throws on DP grounders.

I agree. He hangs in there better against oncoming baserunners than Tejada ever did and puts Bynum to shame in how smooth he turns two. He also seems more reliable than LH but I agree doesn't have his range.

Archived