Fahey Needs to Go..NOW!

JDBirds10

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but this irks me.

I think we all understand the concept that all professional athletes are exceptionally talented compared to the normal person. We don't have to qualify every critique with some sort of statement addressing this fact.

We should all get it: Brandon Fahey plays baseball better than everyone on this board and better than 99% of the world's population.

I'm also not going to start handing out kudos for "trying hard." You SHOULD try hard. It's your job. You are getting PAID. A professional in any field should try hard. Just because some people don't, doesn't mean you excuse poor performance for the people who do.

I don't buy tickets and watch games to see someone try hard and play miserably. And, no, it doesn't make me feel better knowing that he is a better player than me.

If you are tired of reading SS threads, then skip them and don't post in them. But these BS counter-arguments don't hold water.

Fahey is a poor SS. He should not be starting in the major leagues. It's perfectly legitimate to say so. And if you take umbrage with that statement, then come strong with some legitimate reasons why. Don't wax philosophical about effort, attitude and relativity.

I think we all understand the concept that all professional athletes are exceptionally talented compared to the normal person. We don't have to qualify every critique with some sort of statement addressing this fact.

We should all get it: Brandon Fahey plays baseball better than everyone on this board and better than 99% of the world's population.

I'm also not going to start handing out kudos for "trying hard." You SHOULD try hard. It's your job. You are getting PAID. A professional in any field should try hard. Just because some people don't, doesn't mean you excuse poor performance for the people who do.

I don't buy tickets and watch games to see someone try hard and play miserably. And, no, it doesn't make me feel better knowing that he is a better player than me.

If you are tired of reading SS threads, then skip them and don't post in them. But these BS counter-arguments don't hold water.

Fahey is a poor SS. He should not be starting in the major leagues. It's perfectly legitimate to say so. And if you take umbrage with that statement, then come strong with some legitimate reasons why. Don't wax philosophical about effort, attitude and relativity.

Fahey is better than Bynum or Cintron at fielding the shortstop position. He is likely better than Bynum hitting. He is difinitely not close to the hitter Cintron is. He and LH are about a toss up in my view but either are better than Freddie Bynum.

Fahey is better than Bynum or Cintron at fielding the shortstop position. He is likely better than Bynum hitting. He is difinitely not close to the hitter Cintron is. He and LH are about a toss up in my view but either are better than Freddie Bynum.

So he's basically right on par with 3 other players that should not be starting at SS in the major leagues...what's your point?

The numbers will show that Bynum was the best fielder of the bunch. However if you were to combine Bynum's range and arm with Fahey's hustle and steadyness, with Cintron's bat, you'd have a decent if not great SS.

Ok, fine. Fair enough.

Who should we replace him with? Any grand ideas on that one?

What irks me is people that complain about how AWFUL our SS situation is without realizing that there's not much in the pipes to change it. When you complain over and over again about something that has little ability to be changed right now, well... it resembles this: :deadhorse:

I mean, I think we all get that Fahey's not a ML SS. Neither is Bynum. Cintron's hurt right now and is playing barely like a passable ML SS. We're not going to go out and trade for anyone right now. So, now what?

I don't see why people bash Fahey's build. Yeah, he's skinny. If he bulks up, he becomes slower and loses a lot of his range, taking away his calling card, plus defense. Look how much big muscles helped Ben Davis. I hope Fahey finishes out the year. He's the best option we have, give him the confidence and respect he deserves.

Ok, fine. Fair enough.

Who should we replace him with? Any grand ideas on that one?

What irks me is people that complain about how AWFUL our SS situation is without realizing that there's not much in the pipes to change it. When you complain over and over again about something that has little ability to be changed right now, well... it resembles this: :deadhorse:

I mean, I think we all get that Fahey's not a ML SS. Neither is Bynum. Cintron's hurt right now and is playing barely like a passable ML SS. We're not going to go out and trade for anyone right now. So, now what?

Well...

My solution was draft Gordon Beckham. Didn't happen. So be it.

Now, frankly, I'd rather give Davis a shot. I can't imagine he could possibly be any worse.

Well...

My solution was draft Gordon Beckham. Didn't happen. So be it.

Now, frankly, I'd rather give Davis a shot. I can't imagine he could possibly be any worse.

Yah, but Gordon Beckham wasn't the best player available at #4. And you don't draft for need. That was also kinda beat to death in the draft threads. ;)

Which Davis are you referring to?

Yah, but Gordon Beckham wasn't the best player available at #4. And you don't draft for need. That was also kinda beat to death in the draft threads. ;)

Which Davis are you referring to?

Blake Davis. Bowie's SS. Not great with the bat, but supposed to be the best glove in the system per Jordan.

As for Beckham, fine, I didn't yell and scream when they got Matusz. And I don't scout. I will say that he could very well become a top 4 talent from this draft--it's not a science. I would have drafted him...and yes, I agree with talent over need...I like his talent. He went 8th, it's not like he wasn't a top 10 talent.

Blake Davis. Bowie's SS. Not great with the bat, but supposed to be the best glove in the system per Jordan.

As for Beckham, fine, I didn't yell and scream when they got Matusz. And I don't scout. I will say that he could very well become a top 4 talent from this draft--it's not a science. I would have drafted him...and yes, I agree with talent over need...I like his talent. He went 8th, it's not like he wasn't a top 10 talent.

True, but Beckham is one of those guys that kinda rose up the charts late. I always worry about guys like that. In all fairness, Tim Beckham is another guy that flew up the charts late. I dunno... time will tell, but the guy I compare Matusz to a lot is Glavine. I think we'd be ecstatic if he pitches like that. And I'm convinced that's his upside.

If Davis is rough at the plate in Bowie, I'm not too keen on bringing him up to the majors. But meh, I guess he can't be appreciably worse than Bynum or Fahey at the plate. I just think they're all kind of redundant at this point. We obviously need to find a SS from somewhere. Until we do, though, we're kinda stuck with Fahey/Bynum/Hernandez/Cintron. I'd take Cintron out of all of them, but in the meantime, Fahey's at least handling the glove solidly.

Archived