David Hernandez: Snub me? I'll show you!

Frobby

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6.1 IP, 4 H, O R, 3 BB, 4 K's. His ERA is 2.63 and he has allowed 2 runs in 24.2 IP over the last 4 starts.

Wasn't his strongest outing but once again pitched his way threw some command issues. He has really turned it this year when he has runners in scoring positions as they are hitting a meager .169, before this game. Last year it was well over .300. Now it looks like he probably won't get another decision as they have 2 runners on with no outs!:(

Side note: I wonder if David didn't have so many no decision would he still have been snub??

By the way that's a 0.73 ERA during his last 4 starts!!! Unbelievable!!!!

Hernandez has really turned a corner over the past month and a half or so. He was certainly snubbed for the All-Star game but there are always last second additions/subtractions so maybe he still has a chance.

Despite Hernandez's success, his ERA w/ men on base and in scoring position are still kind of high. As I recall from previous posts this was a problem w/ him last year. I hope he gets more comfortable in the stretch soon so he can be mainstay in the MLB rotation possibly next year.

Despite Hernandez's success, his ERA w/ men on base and in scoring position are still kind of high. As I recall from previous posts this was a problem w/ him last year. I hope he gets more comfortable in the stretch soon so he can be mainstay in the MLB rotation possibly next year.

Your ERA will always be high when you have runner on and in scoring position. When your ERA is around or below, I'll say 7.00 you are doing excellent. What you need to look at his what are the batters hitting when runners are on and in scoring position. Right now they are hitting a meager .161 when runners are in scoring position and that is excellent and when runners on base they are hitting a meager .200 which is also excellent.

Here is a list of pitchers who are tops in ERA and you can see where DHernandez ranks:

Joseph Martinez

ERA Starter            2.31 Bases Empty        0.36 Runners On         5.00 Scoring Position   8.71 

Michael Bowden - Portland

ERAStarter            2.48 Bases Empty        0.29 Runners On         6.82 Scoring Position   9.00 

Bradley Bergesen - Bowie

ERAStarter             2.64 Bases Empty         0.65 Runners On          4.50 Scoring Position    8.41 

Salvador Aguilar -Binghamton

ERAStarter              2.19Bases Empty          0.57Runners On           5.31Scoring Position     9.00

Chris Tillman - Bowie

ERAStarter              3.08Bases Empty          0.38Runners On           7.03Scoring Position    12.23

Now that's just a sample of the top ERA guys in the Eastern League and you can see that DHernandez has by far the best ERA's with runner on and in scoring position.

ERAStarter               2.63Bases Empty           1.34Runners On            4.07Scoring Position      5.74

I really like what I see out of DH moving to Bowie and putting up strong stats, but he has to cut down on the BBs.

I would like that to happen also, but they are only hitting .209 and he does have an ERA of 2.63 so I guess if you're going to walk batters then you better not give up hits! So the BBs are not hurting him now, but I see your point.

Hernandez has really turned a corner over the past month and a half or so. He was certainly snubbed for the All-Star game but there are always last second additions/subtractions so maybe he still has a chance.

This is the second time in a year that the bolded part of Mike's quote can be said of David Hernandez. Last year it was near the end of the season with Frederick and this year it's before the Eastern League All-Star break.

In my opinion it's a clear testament to his pitching aptitude, coachability, and most importantly his talent. Whether he makes the big league club as a starter or out of the bullpen, I think moreso than any other prospect showing minor league success, his number will be called sooner rather than later.

It doesn't hurt that he's also a nice guy. He'll fit right in with guys like Jeremy Guthrie, Luke Scott, and Brian Roberts.

This guy goes under the radar so much on this website. I honestly think he's a front of the rotation starter.

SHENANIGANS!!!

Seriously?!?! I'm the Managing Editor here and I've been accused on several occassions of having a man-crush on the guy. Tony's did a full blown scouting report. I'd hardly say that he's under the radar. Not here, anyway.

SHENANIGANS!!!

Seriously?!?! I'm the Managing Editor here and I've been accused on several occassions of having a man-crush on the guy. Tony's did a full blown scouting report. I'd hardly say that he's under the radar. Not here, anyway.

Calm down now, Scottie. ;)

I think he just means that we've been slow to pick up on him as a top-shelf talent. We've clung to Erbe through his struggles, treaded water with Spoone while injured, professed our man-crushes on Tillman and Arrieta, while D. Hernandez has really pitched well and - at least temporarily - been somewhat neglected.

Just look at where we ranked him prospect-wise going into this year.

That said, we've been on him all year.

I'm excited about his upside, too, of course.

Archived