Kakes (Markakis) 2nd on OF All Star Voting in NL

Rene88

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s got a real good chance at 3000. He’s leading the NL in hits. Even if he only gets 200 hits this season he would be at 2252 at season’s end. 6-7 more years of 150ish hits and he gets there by age 40. 

This might be the season that punches his ticket to Cooperstown. 

I’m a huge fan of Nick, but he’s not a Hall of Famer.    And it will be difficult for him to reach 3,000 hits, though I hope he does.   

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

As an act of anarchy we should attempt to vote Davis into the ASG.

You would need a lot of help.

Thankfully the internet exists and if you can get the idea to take fire, it can happen.

Good luck, I'd like to see it happen just to see if he would refuse.

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, DD and Angelos were sharp cookies right there in not going for that fourth year for Nick.   

I would not be surprised if we are saying something similar about Adam in a few years when we don’t resign him. 

They did a bad job of replacing him, but I'm still fine with it. Paying market value for below average players is not very efficient use of resources. He's been good so far this year, but the 3 before that were 1.4, 1.2, and 0.7 fWAR.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

They did a bad job of replacing him, but I'm still fine with it. Paying market value for below average players is not very efficient use of resources. He's been good so far this year, but the 3 before that were 1.4, 1.2, and 0.7 fWAR.

And this season is far from over.    I wish Nick the best, but there's a good possibility that he will level out at some point.

16 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I am glad you are fine with Travis Snider, Gerardo Parra, Nolan Reimold, Delmon Young, etc, etc.  I am not.  Your argument would be fine if they had actually sought to upgrade right field.  We were supposedly trying to win the title during that season after 2014.  But they sought the cheap way as usual and let go a guy who was a key part defensively and offensively in 2014. 

What are the offensive and defensive WARs of the bums they ran out there instead?  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am glad you are fine with Travis Snider, Gerardo Parra, Nolan Reimold, Delmon Young, etc, etc.  I am not.  Your argument would be fine if they had actually sought to upgrade right field.  We were supposedly trying to win the title during that season after 2014.  But they sought the cheap way as usual and let go a guy who was a key part defensively and offensively in 2014. 

What are the offensive and defensive WARs of the bums they ran out there instead?  

As I stated, they didn't do a great job of replacing him. Those are separate issues.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s got a real good chance at 3000. He’s leading the NL in hits. Even if he only gets 200 hits this season he would be at 2252 at season’s end. 6-7 more years of 150ish hits and he gets there by age 40. 

This might be the season that punches his ticket to Cooperstown. 

Thinking that Markakis can play everyday for 6-7 more years is a REAL stretch. I'd say he has 3-4 more years left in him at best. I'm not even sure he'll be a full time player next year with the Braves because they have some young talent that will be pushing him for playing time. 

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

They got really unlucky with their corner OF choices in 2015.   Every single one underperformed both their 2014 numbers and their career numbers.    To put the cherry on top, De Aza had a .636 OPS for us and then an .809 OPS after he was traded away in June, and then Parra dropped from .886 to .625 after we acquired him at the trade deadline.   Anything that could go wrong, did go wrong with that group.  

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's not even close to being a HOFer. Like, not even in the discussion. 

Well, if he got to 3,000 hits, there would be a discussion about it.    But I still think he wouldn’t get in.   

I think Nick probably could reach 3,000 if teams continued to play him 155+ games every year, as they have.    But my guess is that if his power slips back to the range it was from 2013-17, teams won’t give him that kind of playing time as he ages.   This year has been great for his career and may earn him a nice 2-year deal, but I think teams are going to be careful with signing him to anything longer than that.   

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's not even close to being a HOFer. Like, not even in the discussion. 

If he gets to 3000 hits he is in discussion.  No player eligble is not in the hall.  Though he might not get to that.  However no player also with 600+  doubles who is eligble for the hall is not in it.    So saying a guy that could possibly make both of those lists and not be in discussion is absurd.

18 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

If he gets to 3000 hits he is in discussion.  No player eligble is not in the hall.  Though he might not get to that.  However no player also with 600+  doubles who is eligble for the hall is not in it.    So saying a guy that could possibly make both of those lists and not be in discussion is absurd.

Raffy was eligible for the Hall, he just didn’t get the votes due to his association with PED’s.

I’d like to know, during the all star era, what is the minimum number of all star games for which any inductee was selected.   (Edit: I’m not sure if he was the lowest, but Bert Blyleven was only a two-time all star.    But he also finished 3rd and 4th in the Cy Young voting in two other seasons where he wasn’t named to the all star team.)

Archived