Watch out for the Royals

JR Oriole

First overall pick means the team you root for is the most contemptible loser out of 30 teams.  You want to be identified with that? Really?  

Time for the bottom 10 teams to draw lots for draft pick order and put an end to this type of thinking.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I knew someone would get that reference!  Don't forget the year where we swept a final weekend (IIRC against the Yankees again) and missed out on Strasburg/Harper.  Can't remember which one it was, pretty sure that happened, too.

The 2000 draft picks alternated between leagues.  Both Texas and Baltimore were tied at 71-88 in a battle for the 5th pick (TB had already locked up #3).  Once the Orioles beat the Yankees in game #160, the deal was done as Texas was swept by Oakland the final weekend.   I don't know what the rules for a tie were back then, but if it was like now, then Baltimore would've had the #5 pick since they had a worse record in 1999.   If picks didn't alternate then even if they lost out to NYY,  the Orioles would still draft #7.  2000 was also the year that Mt. St. Joe's had 2 alumni picked #4 (Gavin Floyd) and #5 (Teixeira).

Would Angelos have allowed them to draft Teixeira over a pitcher anyway?  He did force the team to go with a pitcher (Wade Townsend) in 2004.   Looking at it another way, had he allowed them to draft Teixeira, there wouldn't have been the 10 part Teixeira watch series here. Now that was a ride which I knew from that start would end up with Teixeira in NY.

That 3 game sweep of NYY persuaded Angelos to give Hargrove a contract extension after a 74-88 campaign, a luxury not afforded Davey Johnson who actually had 2 winning seasons a few years prior.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The 2000 draft picks alternated between leagues.  Both Texas and Baltimore were tied at 71-88 in a battle for the 5th pick (TB had already locked up #3).  Once the Orioles beat the Yankees in game #160, the deal was done as Texas was swept by Oakland the final weekend.   I don't know what the rules for a tie were back then, but if it was like now, then Baltimore would've had the #5 pick since they had a worse record in 1999.   If picks didn't alternate then even if they lost out to NYY,  the Orioles would still draft #7.  2000 was also the year that Mt. St. Joe's had 2 alumni picked #4 (Gavin Floyd) and #5 (Teixeira).

Would Angelos have allowed them to draft Teixeira over a pitcher anyway?  He did force the team to go with a pitcher (Wade Townsend) in 2004.   Looking at it another way, had he allowed them to draft Teixeira, there wouldn't have been the 10 part Teixeira watch series here. Now that was a ride which I knew from that start would end up with Teixeira in NY.

If Tex gets drafted here, I am not sure what changes that would have done for the dark years.  Might have made those teams slightly more watchable but I don't think we'd have been any better.

Didn't know the picks alternated between leagues back then.  Good info.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Tex gets drafted here, I am not sure what changes that would have done for the dark years.  Might have made those teams slightly more watchable but I don't think we'd have been any better.

If we have an all star at first base in the 2000s............

We don't go back to the well with Raffy in 2004.

We don't get shell shocked by Raffy getting busted for PEDs in 2005.

The 2005 team continues their surge after starting out 42-30, and we win the World Series, bringing back a new age of Prosperity and Joy for all.

Pretty sure all the science here checks out.

10 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

That 3 game sweep of NYY persuaded Angelos to give Hargrove a contract extension after a 74-88 campaign, a luxury not afforded Davey Johnson who actually had 2 winning seasons a few years prior.

It was Hargrove’s first year, he got an extension at the end of the year? I don’t remember that.  

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They stopped alternating between leagues starting in 2005.  Before then, even the #1 pick went back and forth between the American and National leagues.  Detroit caught a huge break when Verlander was still there for them at #2, even though the Tigers had by far the worst record in baseball.

BTW, Both Harper and Strasburg were #1 overall picks.  The closest we got was when we drafted ManNY #3 behind Harper.  We drafted Hobgood #5 after the Nats acquired Strasburg.  The Orioles were 9 games better in 2008 and 5 games better in 2009, so there wasn't much chance of getting the top pick in either year.

It was Hargrove’s first year, he got an extension at the end of the year? I don’t remember that.  

The Baltimore Orioles' 2001 coaching staff took shape yesterday, as the team extended Manager Mike Hargrove's contract through 2003 and signed Mark Wiley to a three-year contract as pitching coach.

NY Times, October 14, 2000 
https://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/14/sports/baseball-notebook-orioles-extend-hargrove-s-contract.html

51 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

They stopped alternating between leagues starting in 2005.  Before then, even the #1 pick went back and forth between the American and National leagues.  Detroit caught a huge break when Verlander was still there for them at #2, even though the Tigers had by far the worst record in baseball.

BTW, Both Harper and Strasburg were #1 overall picks.  The closest we got was when we drafted ManNY #3 behind Harper.  We drafted Hobgood #5 after the Nats acquired Strasburg.  The Orioles were 9 games better in 2008 and 5 games better in 2009, so there wasn't much chance of getting the top pick in either year.

NY Times, October 14, 2000 
https://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/14/sports/baseball-notebook-orioles-extend-hargrove-s-contract.html

Wiley stayed for the start of Mazzili until he was fired for Ray Miller’s return. 

3 games is a lot of games to make up when you have are as bad as the Orioles.  They have only won 2 games out of their last 16 and those were against the Mets and they scored a total of 3 runs in those 2 games.

The Royals also have a lot of games against the White Sox.  Someone has to win those games.

After the Marlins we have 15 straight games against teams with winning records.  We could lose all of them.  I like our chances. 

2 hours ago, VickRoznovsky said:

Football is pretty big here between NFL and the Big XII (which is run much more like the Orioles) but the Royals are a far more regional team and there isn't much around once you get passed KC suburbia.  Unlike the Orioles where local fans can see young stars at Bowie or Fredrick, Aberdeen or Delmarva, the Royals fans don't make day trips to Omaha in hopes of seeing Wily Peralta or young Mondesi.  And their Double A team is in Northern Arkansas so there is a disconnect until players come up to the MLB squad.  College Basketball is also tremendously popular although Missouri's jet plane to the SEC was a bit painful.  Finally the stadium is on the outskirts of town on the East side and it is very unlike what many cities now have.  My Family loves to go to Camden Yards when we are back visiting family, there is entertainment around and a great atmosphere; we drink at Pickles Pub and enjoy the day, but here there is nothing but a Holiday Inn by the stadium and a gas station that allows parking for a price =).  Tailgating is the thing as you bring your own party but having a huge tailgate for 8 football games is a lot easier than for 81 baseball games.  Salvy is adored and people still follow the team, but it is amazing how quickly the buzz and love has fled.  For three and a half years if the Royals weren't on TV in our bar it was a sin with unbelievable punishment, but now, I can have ESPN Women's College Softball Championships on and no one says a thing.  true dat!

Oh yes the NFL. The No Fun League. Owners like Jones have ruined that league for me. If I had to watch football I'd much rather watch the college games. 

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

What baseball owner tells the draft people what position to pick?  Ridiculous. 

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He also led to the Markakis pick as he didn't want to pay top 10 money.

It certainly didn't hurt that Markakis is Greek.  Angelos funded the 2004 Greek Olympic baseball team.

Another helping hand came from the other side of the Atlantic when Peter Angelos, a wealthy Greek-American lawyer from Baltimore who owns the Baltimore Orioles, funded the recruitment and staffing of much imrpoved roster.

Angelos and his family brought in bona fide talents, which included the team’s 2003 first-round draft pick, Nick Markakis, for a silver medal finish in the qualifying tournament to claim a spot in the 2004 Olympics.

https://commmedia.psu.edu/special-coverage/story/greece/baseball-clings-to-existence-in-greece-after-2004-olympics

Adam Jones was the 37th (supplemental) pick in the same 2003 1st round.

Archived