MLBTR: Orioles Stymied From Ownership Transfer by MLB?

weams

Nationals Ownership Transfers Control To Mark Lerner

By Steve Adams | June 14, 2018 at 8:34am CDT

After a dozen years as the front-man in the Nationals’ ownership, Ted Lerner is transferring control of the organization to his son, Mark, reports Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post. The move has already been unanimously approved by the other 29 owners, per the report. 

While many ownership changes and transfers are followed by shakeups on the baseball operations side of the equation, that doesn’t sound to be the case in this instance. The younger Lerner notes that most of the team’s larger decisions have been a collaborative family effort. Ted Lerner, his three children (Mark and sisters Marla and Debra), and their spouses have all been weighing in on major ownership-level decisions, even if Ted ultimately had final say. “I don’t think you’ll see much difference in the way Dad and the family running it vs. myself and the family,” said Mark.

Mark calls the relationship between Boras and his father both “interesting” and “successful,” adding that he expects his father to be involved in future negotiations with Boras (i.e. the Harper negotiations) as long as he wants to be. Regarding Harper, specifically, Mark says the outfielder “feels like a member of the family” and speaks optimistically about being able to retain the outfielder on a deal that “makes sense for the long-term vision of the club.”

Generally speaking, however, it doesn’t sound as if the transfer will bring about radical change in the operation of the club in the near future. Furthermore, it sounds as if the Lerner family plans on retaining control of the organization for years to come. Svrluga notes that a third generation of Lerners is already becoming involved in the business, and Mark Lerner spoke candidly about the fact that he and his siblings have had zero thoughts about selling the team. “We well never sell the Nationals,” said Mark. “…[C]ertainly while I’m alive and my sisters and brothers-in-law are alive — nobody’s going to sell this team.”

The transfer of control of the Nationals comes at the conclusion of an emotional and difficult year for Mark Lerner. In January 2017, Lerner was diagnosed with a rare cancer in his left leg. Though radiation rid him of the cancer, complications caused doctors to recommend amputating the leg above the knee. Lerner had that surgery in August, and in February he was fitted with a prosthetic, which he has been using for as many as eight to 12 hours per day.

“Like everything else in this thing, it’s a process,” Lerner said. “You have good days. You have bad days. You have frustrating moments. I’ve had them all. But overall, I’m doing pretty well. . . . I’m certainly not moving around like I used to and running around Nationals Park like a crazy man. But overall, Judy and I have been very blessed through this whole thing.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/nationals-owner-ted-lerner-92-to-cede-control-of-club-to-son-mark/2018/06/14/3902cb24-6f80-11e8-afd5-778aca903bbe_story.html?utm_term=.2f08198eb537

I read somewhere today that a similar transfer has not been approved for the Orioles. I am currently unable to find that remark though. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

After a dozen years as the front-man in the Nationals’ ownership, Ted Lerner is transferring control of the organization to his son, Mark, reports Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post. The move has already been unanimously approved by the other 29 owners, per the report. 

While many ownership changes and transfers are followed by shakeups on the baseball operations side of the equation, that doesn’t sound to be the case in this instance. The younger Lerner notes that most of the team’s larger decisions have been a collaborative family effort. Ted Lerner, his three children (Mark and sisters Marla and Debra), and their spouses have all been weighing in on major ownership-level decisions, even if Ted ultimately had final say. “I don’t think you’ll see much difference in the way Dad and the family running it vs. myself and the family,” said Mark.

Mark calls the relationship between Boras and his father both “interesting” and “successful,” adding that he expects his father to be involved in future negotiations with Boras (i.e. the Harper negotiations) as long as he wants to be. Regarding Harper, specifically, Mark says the outfielder “feels like a member of the family” and speaks optimistically about being able to retain the outfielder on a deal that “makes sense for the long-term vision of the club.”

Generally speaking, however, it doesn’t sound as if the transfer will bring about radical change in the operation of the club in the near future. Furthermore, it sounds as if the Lerner family plans on retaining control of the organization for years to come. Svrluga notes that a third generation of Lerners is already becoming involved in the business, and Mark Lerner spoke candidly about the fact that he and his siblings have had zero thoughts about selling the team. “We well never sell the Nationals,” said Mark. “…[C]ertainly while I’m alive and my sisters and brothers-in-law are alive — nobody’s going to sell this team.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/nationals-owner-ted-lerner-92-to-cede-control-of-club-to-son-mark/2018/06/14/3902cb24-6f80-11e8-afd5-778aca903bbe_story.html?utm_term=.2f08198eb537

I read somewhere today that a similar transfer has not been approved for the Orioles. I am currently unable to find that remark though. 

One wonders whether John Angelos will have this happen to him.
Rumors suggest MLB is playing hardball over the idea of a transition.

It is my hope that Angelos' kids are way better at it than he is.  My one saving grace as an O's fan is that I can outlast Angelos.  Harder to outlast his kids.

But it's my bigger hope that MLB continues to play hardball and blocks a transfer and we get an entirely new, fresh ownership.  While a new owner doesn't guarantee greatness, at least it'll be a breath of fresh air.

I think John has some really good ideas and understands the pressure baseball is under to stay successful with younger audiences.  That said, the Angelos name is not one that is ever going to play well in major league baseball, and I won't be surprised when there is a "forced" sale of the Orioles by MLB.

I've posted about this at length before. Peter Angelos's  transfer of a controlling interest in the Orioles to anyone, including his family members, will require approval by the owners (75%, or over 50% if the transfer is triggered by Peter's death and is to his wife or his sons).

If such a transfer is proposed or made, I think it's a safe bet that the Commissioner will oppose its routine approval. In that event, I think these are among the possibilities.

1.  The owners could turn down the transfer summarily, based on the Angelos's historic lack of cooperation with MLB.  Unless he's even more arrogant than I think he is, I think the Commissioner, having learned from the bungling of the MASN arbitration, will counsel the owners not to do that. 

2.  The owners could override the Commissioner's recommendation and approve the transfer. I think that's doubtful.

3.  The owners could approve the transfer, combined with a settlement of the MASN dispute. 

4.  The Angelos sons could agree to sell their controlling interest in the Orioles (they won't have to pay income taxes if they sell right away) as part of a resolution of the MASN dispute, 

5.  Citing the consistent poor performance of the Orioles, their declining attendance, Peter Angelos's past violations of debt limitations, the team's outlying refusal to invest in an international infrastructure, and the difficulty of competing in the AL East, the Commissioner could call for an intensive review of the Orioles' financial situation. As I've written before, after Peter Angelos's estate has forked over about 50 percent of its non-Orioles assets to pay estate taxes (or if Peter himself were to pay the same amount in gift taxes if he tried to make the transfer before his death), the financial outlook for the Angeloses and the Orioles would be pretty bleak, and I would expect that review to lead to a recommendation by the Commissioners, and a vote of the owners, to turn down the transfer on grounds that are ostensibly in the interest of preserving the competitiveness of the Baltimore franchise.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I don't understand. MLBTR in fact said nothing regarding the Orioles, yet the thread title says they did. 

Another article said MLB is "playing hardball about a similar transition for the Orioles".

My question is, why ?   They aren't crazy about Angelos, obviously, seems like they would want him out of the picture.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Another article said MLB is "playing hardball about a similar transition for the Orioles"

My question is, why ?   They aren't crazy about Angelos, obviously, seems like they would want him out of the picture.

No, another article did not say that.  A tweet by Camden Depot says that “rumors suggest” that MLB is playing hardball.    I’m sorry , but that’s not good enough for me.   What rumors?    Reported by whom?    Where are they?    This is just unadulterated gossip and speculation from my point of view.

For background, MLB requires that every ownership group have one person who is ultimately responsible for the ownership decisions for that team.     I seriously doubt MLB would have a problem with Angelos transferring that responsibility to one of his sons.    What he can’t do is divide the responsibility among his two sons.    It has to be one or the other.    

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think John has some really good ideas and understands the pressure baseball is under to stay successful with younger audiences.  That said, the Angelos name is not one that is ever going to play well in major league baseball, and I won't be surprised when there is a "forced" sale of the Orioles by MLB.

I have a lot of respect for John Angelos and his politics. I am much less excited by another Angelos running the team however. I think it is right to give him a chance, but my gut stays run away!

Be careful what you ask for. Hope it never comes to the team relocating (Unlikely with our ballpark, but you never know).

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, another article did not say that.  A tweet by Camden Depot says that “rumors suggest” that MLB is playing hardball.    I’m sorry , but that’s not good enough for me.   What rumors?    Reported by whom?    Where are they?    This is just unadulterated gossip and speculation from my point of view.

For background, MLB requires that every ownership group have one person who is ultimately responsible for the ownership decisions for that team.     I seriously doubt MLB would have a problem with Angelos transferring that responsibility to one of his sons.    What he can’t do is divide the responsibility among his two sons.    It has to be one or the other.    

Thank you. I love rumors as you know:), but couldn't agree more with this. It doesn't even really make logical sense. John Angelos hasn't done anything to discredit himself, in fact the case could strongly be made that he has done a lot to help the Angelos legacy. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Maybe the old man pissed off some of the other owners over the years. He's pissed me off time after time. 

Archived