Happy Father's Day

weams

29 minutes ago, weams said:

Some Good Men Out There.

Happy Father's Day.....HA....there ALL just a bunch of mother f@)#(*$&!

But seriously...Happy Fathers day to all.  And even if you you don't get along with yours, give him a call today.  If you think I am wrong, ask someone who can't...there is no better time to be a better man.

When the Orioles were real bad in the aughts, a couple of times my son took me to an Oriole-Yankee game as a Father's Day gift.

This year, my gift (though not intended) is not having to suffer through another Orioles' defeat in person. I suspect many of you gave or got an identical present.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

But seriously...Happy Fathers day to all.  And even if you you don't get along with yours, give him a call today.  If you think I am wrong, ask someone who can't...there is no better time to be a better man.

That's for sure. 

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

See above!!!

I lost my Dad in 2011. He was buried a day before my 50th birthday. Nearly every day I wish he were here to see me happily married (I was a bachelor till 53) and to adore his two new grandaugthers. The woman I married was a widower, her husband dying at age 42. Our girls  were 4 and 9 when he died. He was a marvelous bandmate, drummer and bassist. Miraculously, they have taken up both instruments (on their own and with just a little kick start to show them how) and we now have a family rock trio that's now in its 3rd year. We are playing a special Father's Day show today in town at 5pm to celebrate him, my father and my wife's dad who is still with us. It's a big day for us. 

Wishing all of you a meaningful day with your fathers or memories of your fathers.

That’s Lila’s suitcase drum kit (drums inside). Her dad used to play one so I made her one. 

BpiTG7b.jpg

I posted a YouTube today of a DVD we made for our supporters and fans this weekend. It’s an hour plus highlight compilation of live shows we’re giving the attendees today in appreciation.

I’m a very fortunate man.   I’ll be having dinner tonight with my dad, who’s 90, and my own three kids as well.    Who knows how many more Father’s Days I’ll have where that will be possible.   I treasure them.    My dad was and is my hero.  I’ve tried to hold up to his example in raising my own kids, and while I’ll never do it as well as he did, at least he showed me how it’s done.    My own kids are young adults now, and I’m as proud of them as I am of my dad.   I couldn’t really ask for more.    

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I hope this isn't indulgent or in any way too "non Oriole related" but heres what I wrote about my dad today.Its pretty personal, but maybe the folks would enjoy it:

Sometimes when I see a great play on a baseball field, I am moved to call him.

Then I remember he isn’t here anymore.

When I see some old movie star like William Holden, Spencer Tracy, on an old  movie on TV , I think of him.

But he’s not here to tell me about William Holden, or Tracy or any movie star or singer from his era I am curious to ask him about.

Wikipedia works,but in a way..its too handy and quick… but it doesn’t have his insight, humor, charm and story telling my dad had.

My dad hasn’t been alive for close to 20 years now, but he’s still with me…everyday.

He’s with me when I hear  K.D. Lang sing a song. Or Karen Carpenter….Sinatra…or  Nat King Cole.

He’s with me when I think of Jack Lemmon, one of his favorite actors.

He’s still inside my heart when music moves me, or good writing inspires me..because he knew great music and he was a terrific writer.

My dad wouldn’t have liked much of the internet and social media.

He was well mannered, graceful, and didn’t engage in backbiting and mean spirited people.

His opinion mattered to him. He didn’t need confirmation from anyone else.

My dad loved most sports, but baseball was his way of connecting with me.

I could mention any player today…and he’s usually just smile and say two words.

‘Willie Mays”.

My dad lived in difficult times.

He lived through the depression, and multiple wars, and his own longings and some financial heartbreak.

But he also regaled me with the stories of beautiful, and heroic, funny , poetic and elegant things.

He could make me laugh like no one else before or since, and I was the person who most made him laugh.

I took that responsibility seriously.

He had a hearty and generous laugh..and so did his wife, my mom.

They both had laughs that could be described as sunny and florescent.

Big laughers. Loud laughers.

They laughed often and easily.

They were married for close to 60 years, and when the end came for my mom..he couldn’t go on.

His light was gone.

Part of his spirit and soul was extinguished.

My dad was an expert on many things.

He knew Gershwin, and Rogers and Hammerstein and a million songs and songwriters..

He could talk about boxing in the thirties, and movies…God, how he loved movies…never used the word “films”…only “movies”.

Movies with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly and Robert Mitchum, and Gable and Hepburn…and a ton more ..especially Jack Lemmon.

And too, he loved his teams.

The Giants came first, then later, the Dolphins, Marlins, and the Miami Heat.

He wasn’t a handy person.

His eyes would glaze over when he had to look at a manual or anything technical.

He never picked up a shovel or a rake.

He had no idea what a garden was.

But he could describe in detail why Ella Fitzgerald was America’s greatest singer…and why Red Barber, the Dodgers announcer before Scully was a lyrical and graceful baseball announcer…like Vin would become.

And too, he never dismissed my love for rock and roll even though he pretty much despised it personally.

When John Lennon was killed and my heart was shattered, I remember him hand writing and mailing me a letter, a letter which I still have to this day, about loss and tragedy and anguish, grief and human suffering.

In the four page letter he touched my heart and soothed my despair.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

I never was, and never will be, the man my father was.

He was smart, and compassionate, and wise and true..and flawed.

I think I learned to love his flaws as much as I loved his virtues.

With Father’s Day coming up, I remember I always had him as a guest on my show.

Some people thought that was corny, or even inappropriate.

Now theres a TV show with the host’s father on the show everyday…mostly for laughs.

I remember when Richard Nixon himself told me he loved the show with my dad on it.

For that moment, though I hated almost everything about Nixon, I loved him for saying it.

Even Nixon could see what I had with my dad through those cathode rays and TV tubes.

My dad hated Nixon too..but when I called him to tell him about Nixon’s compliment…he gave me a long pause.

“Well, Nixon may have been a crook…but he did some great things too!”.

I laughed hard and long at that.

We both laughed together over the phone.

I wish I could laugh again with pop..about something stupid…or about our political car wreck today..or just about something Richard Pryor said on TV.

I wish he were here.

If you had a dad like I did and he is gone…try and hold the memories close and keep them.

If he is alive and you love him..love him more.

You really only get one dad if you are lucky.

I was extraordinarily lucky.

Happy Father’s Day.

Roy that was great. Made me cry. Thank you for posting. My Dads been gone over 20 years. A World War II veteran. 

I still have mine. He's not all he was. But he is still here. We visited him after the game today. He sure does love his Orioles.

Years ago, Roy and I spent some time together in Cooperstown. He spoke with my dad on the phone. With much the same thoughtful care that he expresses for his own father. 

Roy has kindy endured the telling and retelling of his tales on the several occasions since that they have met in person. 

I've also had the pleasure of seeing Roy's fatherhood in action with his own sons. He's a pretty good dad.

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

When the Orioles were real bad in the aughts, a couple of times my son took me to an Oriole-Yankee game as a Father's Day gift.

This year, my gift (though not intended) is not having to suffer through another Orioles' defeat in person. I suspect many of you gave or got an identical present.

Went to Friday's game with two of my sons. The Orioles sucked as they have all year and for most of my adult life. But it's still baseball and it's still quality time with my boys and it was still fantastic. 

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I hope this isn't indulgent or in any way too "non Oriole related" but here's what I wrote about my dad today. It's pretty personal, but maybe the folks will enjoy it:

Sometimes when I see a great play on a baseball field, I am moved to call him.

Then I remember he isn’t here anymore.

When I see some old movie star like William Holden, Spencer Tracy, on an old  movie on TV , I think of him.

But he’s not here to tell me about William Holden, or Tracy or any movie star or singer from his era I am curious to ask him about.

Wikipedia works,but in a way..its too handy and quick… but it doesn’t have his insight, humor, charm and story telling my dad had.

My dad hasn’t been alive for close to 20 years now, but he’s still with me…everyday.

He’s with me when I hear  K.D. Lang sing a song. Or Karen Carpenter….Sinatra…or  Nat King Cole.

He’s with me when I think of Jack Lemmon, one of his favorite actors.

He’s still inside my heart when music moves me, or good writing inspires me..because he knew great music and he was a terrific writer.

My dad wouldn’t have liked much of the internet and social media.

He was well mannered, graceful, and didn’t engage in backbiting and mean spirited people.

His opinion mattered to him. He didn’t need confirmation from anyone else.

My dad loved most sports, but baseball was his way of connecting with me.

I could mention any player today…and he’s usually just smile and say two words.

‘Willie Mays”.

My dad lived in difficult times.

He lived through the depression, and multiple wars, and his own longings and some financial heartbreak.

But he also regaled me with the stories of beautiful, and heroic, funny , poetic and elegant things.

He could make me laugh like no one else before or since, and I was the person who most made him laugh.

I took that responsibility seriously.

He had a hearty and generous laugh..and so did his wife, my mom.

They both had laughs that could be described as sunny and florescent.

Big laughers. Loud laughers.

They laughed often and easily.

They were married for close to 60 years, and when the end came for my mom..he couldn’t go on.

His light was gone.

Part of his spirit and soul was extinguished.

My dad was an expert on many things.

He knew Gershwin, and Rogers and Hammerstein and a million songs and songwriters..

He could talk about boxing in the thirties, and movies…God, how he loved movies…never used the word “films”…only “movies”.

Movies with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly and Robert Mitchum, and Gable and Hepburn…and a ton more ..especially Jack Lemmon.

And too, he loved his teams.

The Giants came first, then later, the Dolphins, Marlins, and the Miami Heat.

He wasn’t a handy person.

His eyes would glaze over when he had to look at a manual or anything technical.

He never picked up a shovel or a rake.

He had no idea what a garden was.

But he could describe in detail why Ella Fitzgerald was America’s greatest singer…and why Red Barber, the Dodgers announcer before Scully was a lyrical and graceful baseball announcer…like Vin would become.

And too, he never dismissed my love for rock and roll even though he pretty much despised it personally.

When John Lennon was killed and my heart was shattered, I remember him hand writing and mailing me a letter, a letter which I still have to this day, about loss and tragedy and anguish, grief and human suffering.

In the four page letter he touched my heart and soothed my despair.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

I never was, and never will be, the man my father was.

He was smart, and compassionate, and wise and true..and flawed.

I think I learned to love his flaws as much as I loved his virtues.

With Father’s Day coming up, I remember I always had him as a guest on my show.

Some people thought that was corny, or even inappropriate.

Now theres a TV show with the host’s father on the show everyday…mostly for laughs.

I remember when Richard Nixon himself told me he loved the show with my dad on it.

For that moment, though I hated almost everything about Nixon, I loved him for saying it.

Even Nixon could see what I had with my dad through those cathode rays and TV tubes.

My dad hated Nixon too..but when I called him to tell him about Nixon’s compliment…he gave me a long pause.

“Well, Nixon may have been a crook…but he did some great things too!”.

I laughed hard and long at that.

We both laughed together over the phone.

I wish I could laugh again with pop..about something stupid…or about our political car wreck today..or just about something Richard Pryor said on TV.

I wish he were here.

If you had a dad like I did and he is gone…try and hold the memories close and keep them.

If he is alive and you love him..love him more.

You really only get one dad if you are lucky.

I was extraordinarily lucky.

Happy Father’s Day.

o

Roy, if my father was 1/10 of the father that your dad was to you, I would have something nice to say about him.

Unfortunately, I don't.

o

Archived