Speculation piece lists Bundy as a player that could be traded

Greg Pappas

Pure speculation via a Bleacher Report piece.  Jim Palmer replied to it on Twitter: 

Interesting read. I’d trade Gausman before Bundy because more cost effective for team. Ideally, I want to keep both but I think that ship has sailed #salarymath@masnOrioles⁩ ⁦@Orioles

If they're right regarding the potential haul we could get for Bundy, I say we should do it. I'm in the full rebuild camp, so anyone that can bring a very good long-term return, I'm for it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd rather sign him to an extension. He looks the part of an ace and I think his results are only going to get better. 

Gausmen can be traded in my book though

I think his elbow goes again in about four years and the long term prognosis for guys with multiple TJ surgeries isn't good.

If we keep him, he’ll disappoint.   If we trade him, he’ll win several Cy Young awards.    That’s just the way it seems to go for us.    

Trading Bundy really says we’re not planning to compete the next three years.    And maybe that’s what we should be doing.    It’s a little hard to swallow, though.  So, the haul has to be spectacular.   

4 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd rather sign him to an extension. He looks the part of an ace and I think his results are only going to get better. 

Gausmen can be traded in my book though

If we can get a Jose Quintana-like return, I feel we should do it. The White Sox acquired power-hitting outfielder Eloy Jimenez, pitcher Dylan Cease, first baseman Matt Rose and middle infielder Bryant Flete. That was a very strong return. Jimenez is the #3 overall prospect in baseball and Cease is the #52.  Both are performing very well.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

If we can get a Jose Quintana-like return, I feel we should do it. The White Sox acquired power-hitting outfielder Eloy Jimenez, pitcher Dylan Cease, first baseman Matt Rose and middle infielder Bryant Flete. That was a very strong return. Jimenez is the #3 overall prospect in baseball and Cease is the #52.  Both are performing very well.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.   If we can get a package with a couple of top 100 guys plus some additional young guys, I'd be all for it.  

Unfortunately, I agree with CoC's take above.   No way this team is smart enough to do something like this.

I sense "re-tooling" in our future.

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly.   If we can get a package with a couple of top 100 guys plus some additional young guys, I'd be all for it.  

Unfortunately, I agree with CoC's take above.   No way this team is smart enough to do something like this.

I sense "re-tooling" in our future.

"Unfortunately" is a word used quite often when discussing the O's. Correctly used, I might add. ?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If we keep him, he’ll disappoint.   If we trade him, he’ll win several Cy Young awards.    That’s just the way it seems to go for us.    

Trading Bundy really says we’re not planning to compete the next three years.    And maybe that’s what we should be doing.    It’s a little hard to swallow, though.  So, the haul has to be spectacular.   

That's the thing though. I think they could be competitive again in the next 2-3 years so I'm not sure moving Bundy is the best idea. They have 4-5 OF prospects who are close, Mancini can play first, Sisco/Wynns should be able to handle catching, and they have a lot of pitching prospects with ETA's around 2020-2021. The only holes they really have are on the left side of the infield which they can hopefully fill by trading Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.  

Obviously this season's been terrible but I don't see that as a reason to go full fire sale. 

3 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

That's the thing though. I think they could be competitive again in the next 2-3 years so I'm not sure moving Bundy is the best idea. They have 4-5 OF prospects who are close, Mancini can play first, Sisco/Wynns should be able to handle catching, and they have a lot of pitching prospects with ETA's around 2020-2021. The only holes they really have are on the left side of the infield which they can hopefully fill by trading Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.  

Obviously this season's been terrible but I don't see that as a reason to go full fire sale. 

Reasonable argument that I respectfully disagree with.

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

What makes you think they should do a complete rebuild?

I don't see the high end talent in the minors that leads me to believe they can compete with the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jay's (Vlad jr/Bo Bichette).

I think they need to accumulate as deep a pool of talent as possible.

Hays was the #21 prospect in all on baseball according to Baseball America.   Where is he now.     if the O's trade Bundy or Gausman they will be the next Arrieta and the O's will be hold their breath hoping what they get in return is anywhere as good in 4 years.      

I am not trading players that are pretty  close to sure things to help the team win  in th future for a bunch of question marks at the deadline.    Trade any of the current O's that are free agents at the end of 2018.    Watch who steps up on the farm in the next three months.  And address the issue again in the off season.

Archived