Speculation piece lists Bundy as a player that could be traded

Greg Pappas

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Welcome to a guaranteed extended stay in the cellar.

I would call a 3- to 5-year "rebuild" an extended stay in the cellar, personally. 

I think the "rebuild or stay stuck in the middle" is a false choice. You don't have to choose A or B.

To me, we could trade Manny, Britton and whoever else would leave at the end of the season... and we SHOULD get a pretty solid haul, just for them. Kansas City just gave DC a stud reliever RENTAL, and received back Washington's #11 and #12 prospects. 

If we could get anything close to that for Britton, I'd do it. And we should be able to do MUCH better with Machado (although I don't think we'll do much of anything). 

Or let's say you trade a Bundy. You can do that and get back a top-tier starting prospect... and that guy can probably join your rotation in 2019. 

So in this case, I would advocate for trading Bundy, Machado and Britton... But I still wouldn't call that "rebuilding." You'd go into next season with Cobb, Cashner, Gausman, Hess and Harvey as your potential rotation. That's 4/5th of the your current starting rotation in tact. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I would call a 3- to 5-year "rebuild" an extended stay in the cellar, personally. 

I think the "rebuild or stay stuck in the middle" is a false choice. You don't have to choose A or B.

To me, we could trade Manny, Britton and whoever else would leave at the end of the season... and we SHOULD get a pretty solid haul, just for them. Kansas City just gave DC a stud reliever RENTAL, and received back Washington's #11 and #12 prospects. 

If we could get anything close to that for Britton, I'd do it. And we should be able to do MUCH better with Machado (although I don't think we'll do much of anything). 

Or let's say you trade a Bundy. You can do that and get back a top-tier starting prospect... and that guy can probably join your rotation in 2019. 

So in this case, I would advocate for trading Bundy, Machado and Britton... But I still wouldn't call that "rebuilding." You'd go into next season with Cobb, Cashner, Gausman, Hess and Harvey as your potential rotation. That's 4/5th of the your current starting rotation in tact. 

As an O's fan I don't consider it extended until it hits a decade.

29 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

It's going to be subpar no matter what.  Jesus, can't they see that?  No Machado, but even more than that, missing our perennial closer and setup man.  And last year's team MVP -- Schoop -- has totally lost the plot and may never get it back.  

They didn't see it last time.

IF you trade a pitcher, I agree with Palmer and trade Gausman. Send him to Colorado where he’s from. It seems like this is always a luck of the draw. I remember when a lot of people here wanted Tillman locked up long term - bullet dodged.  Guys like Bundy you lock away. Otherwise it seems like you hope to get someone like him down the road again in the prospects we acquire.  With our luck he’ll get hurt after we secure him. 

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

I would favor a modest extension for Bundy that locks him up until the end of 2023.  Buys us time to develop Rodriguez, whoever we get for Machado this year, and whoever we draft with our very high draft pick next year, and hopefully plug them into the MLB roster before Bundy flies the coop.  

But if the FO doesn't have the wherewithal to do that, then the next best plan is to trade him within the next year for a huge return.  We might be competitive in 2021 but I doubt we get further than the WC or ALDS even then.  Organization is just too starved of talent for the foreseeable future.  At least one of Hays/Mullins/Stewart will be a bust (Hays already looking like he is, for that matter), and same goes for the pitching prospects.  

I don't think they have the wherewithal to do either one. The DD/Angelos m.o. has been to play it in between. When we were in win mode, we never went all the way. Instead of getting what we really needed, it was always "we like our guys" and smaller moves like Davies for Parra. Now that we are entering rebuild mode, I expect it to go slowly and no big fire sale. 

I would be surprised if Gausman goes, to be honest, and shocked if Bundy is gone. Part of me thinks we will hold out for a draft pick for Manny.

Several people are mentioning that our minor league talent is not good enough to lead a contending team.  Thus they say we cannot keep Bundy, Gausman and Cobb (provided he returns to 2017 Cobb not the current one) to lead our pitching and have Hays, Mullins, Stewart, etc lead our outfield, Mancini at 1B, Sisco at C,  while replacing 3B, SS and 2B with trade returns for Machado, Britton and Schoop, etc.  OK, if that is true, who has been realistically named as a prospect we could get back for our trades of even Bundy that would be the man (men) to lead us to contending level?  I have not heard a proposal for anyone better at any position than our current outfield prospects who are apparently not good enough.  We are not going to be offered the new stud infielders from the Yankees or Red Sox. Toronto is not going to give us Vlad Jr.

Therefore, I'm not sure there is a better choice than keeping our three pitchers who should be #3s or better, trusting that half of our minor league outfield prospects come through--Mullins or McKenna, Stewart or Mountcastle, Hays or one of several reaching down to Jarrett--and doing the partial rebuild by selling the relievers, Machado and Schoop.  Any prospective free agents should be traded, but others only if we get a whale of a deal. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

As an O's fan I don't consider it extended until it hits a decade.

Hey, during our 14-year losing streak we were never in the cellar until Tampa suddenly got good in 2008!   We only spent 4 years in the cellar then.   Prior to that, we’d only finished in the cellar twice in franchise history (1986 and 1988). If you think about it, only 6 last place finishes in 64 years is pretty good!

41 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Bowden suggested Sheffield, Swanson, and Frazier for Snell.  Now he's clearly just going for press here, but if you were to trade Bundy would you expect something similar, higher or lower?  That's a haul.

I don't really trust Bowden's evaluations. I know he's an experienced GM, but he seems to be off more than he's on. I'd imagine Bundy and Snell would land a similar haul. If the O's could get that for Bundy, I'd do it. But they'll never trade a long term asset to the Yankees.

2 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

If we can get as much as you say for Machado and Britton (as well as Brach and perhaps others), why not keep Bundy and trade Gausman and keep Bundy? 

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Bowden suggested Sheffield, Swanson, and Frazier for Snell.  Now he's clearly just going for press here, but if you were to trade Bundy would you expect something similar, higher or lower?  That's a haul.

I think they'd get slightly less for Bundy then Snell (if they decide to trade him). I also don't put any stock in the Snell rumor. Why would they trade him and not Archer? 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think they'd get slightly less for Bundy then Snell (if they decide to trade him). I also don't put any stock in the Snell rumor. Why would they trade him and not Archer? 

Because Archer is injured and teams aren't going to pay top dollar for an injured player. I think Archer would be dealt this year if healthy...and still might if he gets back in time to get a couple starts (provided he looks good in those starts).

Archived