You have to admit, we picked a pretty good year to be horrible

Frobby

I think the hope going into the season was that we could win 85-90 games and compete for the second wild card.    We’re not going to win 85, in fact, we probably won’t win 65.

But the other part of the equation is it’s looking like 85-90 wins wouldn’t come close to sniffing the second wild card.    Right now Seattle is in second wild card position, and they’re on pace for 102 wins.   Both BP and Fangraphs think they’ll cool off, but still win 90+.    This wasn’t a year when 85 wins would mean an exciting playoff race deep into September.   So, if there was a good year to be bad, this is it.   

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the hope going into the season was that we could win 85-90 games and compete for the second wild card.    We’re not going to win 85, in fact, we probably won’t win 65.

But the other part of the equation is it’s looking like 85-90 wins wouldn’t come close to sniffing the second wild card.    Right now Seattle is in second wild card position, and they’re on pace for 102 wins.   Both BP and Fangraphs think they’ll cool off, but still win 90+.    This wasn’t a year when 85 wins would mean an exciting playoff race deep into September.   So, if there was a good year to be bad, this is it.   

Is there an Airplane joke somewhere in your post?

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well that just means less teams who want to buy our players at the deadline.  

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is a good year because it is the last year for Dan and Buck.  We have a better chance of a real tear down.

Last year for a lot of players too...id have preferred a competitive year to close out the window but if there's going to be a down year as bad as this one then it may as well be now. Hopefully we can actually get something of value back for our pending free agents.

11 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Probably the best time to be this terrible is when you have the next Ken Griffey Jr coming up in the draft.   Guess that doesn't happen that often though.

Still remains to be seen if we’ll finish with the worst record.   Through June 19, 2010 we had the worst record in MLB by 5 games, but we only ended up with the 4th worst record in the end (and drafted Bundy with that pick).    We only have a one-game “lead” for worst record now.   

Our "bad year" began September 7, 2017.  Had it started even two months earlier I think our chances for a quick rebound would be considerably greater.  That being said, thank goodness the team has been bad right out of the box this season.  Count me among those who think that even the Orioles ownership can't ignore what needs to be done.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Our "bad year" began September 7, 2017.  Had it started even two months earlier I think our chances for a quick rebound would be considerably greater.  That being said, thank goodness the team has been bad right out of the box this season.  Count me among those who think that even the Orioles ownership can't ignore what needs to be done.

I don’t think they will ignore it, but I’m skeptical that we’re going to get a return for our players that drastically accelerates how long the rebuild will take.   I haven’t forgotten the 2000 sell-off and how little it yielded.  This idea of selling only the players on expiring contracts and holding on to everyone else is foolish.   

There's a direct relationship between teams being horrible and how many wins it will take to make the wild card.

There are going to be some very, very good teams this year, and some epically bad teams this year.   Parity in baseball has been thrown right out the window.  You can blame teams tanking for some of it.  Or in the case of some teams (ahem),  you can blame bad management.

Archived