Colby Rasmus placed on Restricted list

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/rasmus-looks-back-at-time-with-cards/article_2d80578f-4794-5f75-a551-7fc6a36d02bd.html

La Russa had become frustrated with Rasmus, whom he deemed not to have bought into the process, and their relationship was cool, if not icy. Rasmus, then 24, thought La Russa had robbed him of having fun playing baseball.

“Me being a young player, I just didn’t think I was fitting into what Tony was wanting to do and that was kind of a battle,” said Rasmus. “There were some things that were a little over my head that I didn’t understand.”

Rasmus takes some responsibility for his problems with the Cardinals, one of which was his taking hitting instruction during the season, sometimes at a St. Louis area high school, from his father, Tony, who was his coach as a youth in Alabama.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said, an oversimplification.

Despite the medicals they were willing to go three years on Markakis.  The addition of the fourth year increased the risk to an untenable level.  That does not mean that they figured he would be unable to perform in year four.

There also existed performance based issues tied to his diminishing power and defensive ability.

I don't think anyone expected a situation in which Markakis kinda puttered around for three years and then suddenly he's putting up his best numbers in a decade at 34.

Yes, and yet they just somehow expected Travis Snider , Gerardo Parra, Nolan Reimold and Colby Rasmus to perform better than Nick Markakis...lol.  And it is a bit of karmic justice that these same brilliant baseball decision makers now have stuck us this year with a Colby Rasmus.   Well, at least I can read accolades in other places about my favorite Oriole...oops, Brave.   Somehow my Brave fan friends are pretty happy with his defense and have been throughout him playing virtually every game in the last 4 years...I mean we have sterling guys like Trumbo out there so defense was obviously a high consideration  in evaluating whether to give another year to Nick.   I just strongly disagree that it was a good call then or now.   But I understand the arguments in defense of the decision.   

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/sports/baseball/all-star-game-atlanta-braves.html?login=email&auth=login-email

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Still a jerk move.

I like him right up until that point. 

Who knows maybe he is suffering mentally or physically or someone in his family is.   Anyway Buck said it was no surprise as same thing happened  last year.   He played so few games it was hard to get attached.  

12 minutes ago, Chito said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/rasmus-looks-back-at-time-with-cards/article_2d80578f-4794-5f75-a551-7fc6a36d02bd.html

La Russa had become frustrated with Rasmus, whom he deemed not to have bought into the process, and their relationship was cool, if not icy. Rasmus, then 24, thought La Russa had robbed him of having fun playing baseball.

“Me being a young player, I just didn’t think I was fitting into what Tony was wanting to do and that was kind of a battle,” said Rasmus. “There were some things that were a little over my head that I didn’t understand.”

Rasmus takes some responsibility for his problems with the Cardinals, one of which was his taking hitting instruction during the season, sometimes at a St. Louis area high school, from his father, Tony, who was his coach as a youth in Alabama.

The problem is, La Russa never followed Rasmus's advice.

Legendary manager Uchiyama of the Chunichi Dragons took veteran slugger Jack Elliot's advice that "baseball is a game. Games are meant to be fun." That turned their whole season around. I'm sure @Can_of_corn is familiar with the story.

I’m not going to waste my energy judging the guy.    There could be a lot of reasons he walked away.   All I know is we don’t have to pay the guy to stink.    I’d be happy if Tillman would follow suit.    I won’t even dare to dream about Davis doing it.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to waste my energy judging the guy.    There could be a lot of reasons he walked away.   All I know is we don’t have to pay the guy to stink.    I’d be happy if Tillman would follow suit.    I won’t even dare to dream about Davis doing it.

Yes, if Colby is experiencing personal or emotional or health issues, then God bless him.  But if it is just a “well I just am certainly not enjoying much of this year, not playing much anyways and I can just walk away, so I will”  then he deserves criticism.    Either way, leaving the team shorthanded today on the road seems to be poor form unless it just had to be today. 

No, my main vitriol is for whomever made the decision in the first place and for their chronic no accountability to their customers.  

17 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The problem is, La Russa never followed Rasmus's advice.

Legendary manager Uchiyama of the Chunichi Dragons took veteran slugger Jack Elliot's advice that "baseball is a game. Games are meant to be fun." That turned their whole season around. I'm sure @Can_of_corn is familiar with the story.

What LaRussa needed was a good hot foot.

It's funny.  My boys and I watched the last inning from the flag court on Sunday with Rasmus right in front of us.  He was dancing with the music between pitches, making signs to his teammates -  and I just thought to myself, wow, he really seems to be enjoying himself out there.  Go figure.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said, an oversimplification.

Despite the medicals they were willing to go three years on Markakis.  The addition of the fourth year increased the risk to an untenable level.  That does not mean that they figured he would be unable to perform in year four.

There also existed performance based issues tied to his diminishing power and defensive ability.

I don't think anyone expected a situation in which Markakis kinda puttered around for three years and then suddenly he's putting up his best numbers in a decade at 34.

Everybody with an accurate, fully-functioning crystal ball was.  That Duquette creep must have lied about his during the interview.  Then to compound matters, he must have looked at Markakis' average 1.9 WAR per year during his expiring 6/66 contract and irrationally concluded it had some predictive value.  Moron.  Impending serious neck surgery for a professional athlete?  Any GM worth the title would laugh and add that fourth year, process be damned.

Forest Gump could've seen this coming.  But the O's?  Nope, not the O's!

I'm going to go pull out my fingernails with pliers now.  It's less painful then being a fan of this team.

Archived