Colby Rasmus placed on Restricted list

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan Connolly pens an article saying the Rasmus was never a good idea as Plan A.    He make s case for Jon Jay. 

I have to disagree with this whole article.   Rasmus as never Plan A.  Plan A was O's minor league player of the year Austin Hays.   Rasmus was signed to a one year 3m minor league contract in case Hays was not ready.   And Hays turns out not be be ready.

As far as Jon Jay goes he was asking for 2/ 14m for most of the off season.  In fact that is what MLBTR projected him to receive.  The O's were never going to block Hays by signing Jay to that kind of contract.   That fact that Jay's contract price fell does not mean he was willing to come to Baltimore for the lower price.

Rasmus did not work out with the O's.  Just one of the many things that did not fall the O's way.  But Rasmus was never Plan A and there is no way to know if Jay would have come to the O's for 3M.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dan Connolly pens an article saying the Rasmus was never a good idea as Plan A.    He make s case for Jon Jay. 

I have to disagree with this whole article.   Rasmus as never Plan A.  Plan A was O's minor league player of the year Austin Hays.   Rasmus was signed to a one year 3m minor league contract in case Hays was not ready.   And Hays turns out not be be ready.

As far as Jon Jay goes he was asking for 2/ 14m for most of the off season.  In fact that is what MLBTR projected him to receive.  The O's were never going to block Hays by signing Jay to that kind of contract.   That fact that Jay's contract price fell does not mean he was willing to come to Baltimore for the lower price.

Rasmus did not work out with the O's.  Just one of the many things that did not fall the O's way.  But Rasmus was never Plan A and there is no way to know if Jay would have come to the O's for 3M.

Why do you think Hays was Plan A? 

I agree they weren’t going to spend big on an OF with so many OF prospects but that doesn’t mean they were definitely handing Hays the job. All winter long they were linked to Jay. Dyson and CarGo. 

10 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Good, its like he DFA'd himself without the O's paying him, since you know hes a Buck guy and the O's would have never DFA'd him

Where is this myth that Rasmus was a “Buck guy” coming from?   Buck met with Rasmus in the offseason several years ago and then the O’s didn’t sign him.    The fact that they signed him several years later doesn’t suggest to me at all that he’s a “Buck guy.”

Rasmus had a solid spring with the club, .268/.362/.439.    Based on that, he made the club, obligating the team to pay him $3 mm.    He got off to a terrible start and his hip started acting up, so they put him on the DL.    Bringing him back when he was healthy had nothing to do with him being a “Buck guy,” it had to do with trying to wring some value from the $3 mm they were paying him.   He didn’t do very well when he returned, but it’s not exactly hundreds of at bats, either.

To me, it’s just a team decision that didn’t work out well.     

The problem with Rasmus to me was a couple of things. They knew they had to keep Santander up for 45 days so that limited them right off the bat. 

They needed someone to hold the fort down, not be a big question mark. I thought it was odd the first week of the season when he was a DH a couple of games. He has always been considered a plus defender, made no sense until he winds up on the DL. Rasmus not staying healthy forced Santander to play more than he should have. Like most of the roster decisions this year it blew up in their face.  

I wasn’t mad when they signed him but hearing now that some people questioned if he wanted to play and how he was hurt right out of the gate really makes me wonder what in the world they were thinking. For a team that was in contend mode his signing made little sense. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Where is this myth that Rasmus was a “Buck guy” coming from?   Buck met with Rasmus in the offseason several years ago and then the O’s didn’t sign him.    The fact that they signed him several years later doesn’t suggest to me at all that he’s a “Buck guy.”

Rasmus had a solid spring with the club, .268/.362/.439.    Based on that, he made the club, obligating the team to pay him $3 mm.    He got off to a terrible start and his hip started acting up, so they put him on the DL.    Bringing him back when he was healthy had nothing to do with him being a “Buck guy,” it had to do with trying to wring some value from the $3 mm they were paying him.   He didn’t do very well when he returned, but it’s not exactly hundreds of at bats, either.

To me, it’s just a team decision that didn’t work out well.     

Buck was bragging about how great the bench was this year and how he couldn't give anyone a day off in 2017 because the bench was so weak.  I think Colby was definitely a Buck guy. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

How many managers fly out to a free agent's house to recruit them? Fact that he wound up signing him a couple years later AFTER HE QUIT on his team coming off a SERIOUS INJURY shows how much of a hard on Buck had for Rasmus.

usa_today_9887073.0.jpg

5 minutes ago, Finisher said:

How many managers fly out to a free agent's house to recruit them? Fact that he wound up signing him a couple years later AFTER HE QUIT on his team coming off a SERIOUS INJURY shows how much of a hard on Buck had for Rasmus.

Buck must have liked his beard. 

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Why do you think Hays was Plan A? 

I agree they weren’t going to spend big on an OF with so many OF prospects but that doesn’t mean they were definitely handing Hays the job. All winter long they were linked to Jay. Dyson and CarGo. 

No, not handing the job to Hays but he was first in line.  The O's didn't sign any outfielder FA to a major league deal that would block Hays.  Hays was the O's Minor League Player of the year.  Killed the ball at AA.   He came into camp favored to win the RF job.  But he was never healthy even in ST.   

I am not saying that Rasmus would not have made the team but if Hays had hit in ST the way he hit last year in the minors he would have been the starting RF.  But he didn't.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah, around the same time there is a Christian Walker and Tim Laker appreciation threads.

He apparently was doing some non fan friendly things this year too.

If the Orioles are going to waste $3 million, can they just give @Tony-OH that money for having a board that actually cares about the team?

I agree with this statement! :D

Archived