Manny Machado Appreciation Thread

TonySoprano

Regardless of the return having to trade Manny is a dark day for the franchise. He was a key part of the most fun 5 years I've ever had as a sports fan. I remember back in 2012 my friend said "I can't believe he's ours" because we just never got guys like that. The fact that he couldn't play in the 2014 ALCS is something that still weighs in the back of my mind. My best friend is an Indians fan so I've seen him go through this many times, but having to send a player like this off as he enters his prime is heartbreaking. I know contemplating the return is exciting but we'll be lucky if anyone coming back is a quarter of the player Manny is. Yeah at times he's been cocky and arrogant but he was just a kid and he was exciting and he was ours. Now he's not and it sucks. I'll always love Manny and will always root for him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully you land with my new team, if so, I will see you at Chavez Ravine. It didn't have to come to this. I can easily think of $200M wasted on pure garbage that Buck prioritized over you. Furthermore, the lack of accountability from anyone in charge nor the lack of will by the local media to ask hard questions, it's become nearly impossible to be a fan of the organization.  

11 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Where did the last 6 years go? Where did the winning go? In the other thread, I feel optimism of what we might receive in a trade. But this thread brings the reality of a chapter that's closed: The Orioles actually winning games. Tillman not sucking, Wei-Yin Chen, etc. etc. Man. 

2012 was pure magic. It seems like yesterday we were jockeying with the Yankees for the first time in 15 years. 3B was a black hole in the worst kind of way. Manny changed it to a black hole in the best kind of way. Love ya Manny. Thanks for the memories. I can't believe they are now just memories. Time flies. 

Had a traveling job and was able to see Manny play in the minors extensively.   The enthusiasm he and Schoop brought to the field everyday was contagious.   He has been so much fun to watch over the years.  I hope hes an Oriole again.  Until then,  Ill be watching every at bat I can, wishing him well.   

27 minutes ago, O-Arm36 said:

Regardless of the return having to trade Manny is a dark day for the franchise. He was a key part of the most fun 5 years I've ever had as a sports fan. I remember back in 2012 my friend said "I can't believe he's ours" because we just never got guys like that. The fact that he couldn't play in the 2014 ALCS is something that still weighs in the back of my mind. My best friend is an Indians fan so I've seen him go through this many times, but having to send a player like this off as he enters his prime is heartbreaking. I know contemplating the return is exciting but we'll be lucky if anyone coming back is a quarter of the player Manny is. Yeah at times he's been cocky and arrogant but he was just a kid and he was exciting and he was ours. Now he's not and it sucks. I'll always love Manny and will always root for him.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  By the way, who here  remembers that Manny hit two homers in his second game as an Oriole?    After the game, I started a thread called simply “We.....deserve this.”   It has been so long since we had a player that talented to root for.    And it may be again.   

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I was at the fake throw game. Amazing moment

There is no reason that the O's can't sign Manny in the off season.

Well there are but it is possible?

There is nearly a zero possibility that Machado resigns with the Orioles.  And quite frankly, making a large investment in Machado for the Orioles this offseason is just a waste of money.  It's going to a number of years before the Orioles are competitive again.  Does Machado really want to spend the next few years on a bad Orioles team, and do the Orioles even want to spend $30 million investing in him with a bad supporting cast?

30 minutes ago, nadecir said:

There is nearly a zero possibility that Machado resigns with the Orioles.  And quite frankly, making a large investment in Machado for the Orioles this offseason is just a waste of money.  It's going to a number of years before the Orioles are competitive again.  Does Machado really want to spend the next few years on a bad Orioles team, and do the Orioles even want to spend $30 million investing in him with a bad supporting cast?

Since Manny is being insistent on playing SS, I disagree. I have a hard time believing that a team like the Phillies who are so entrenched in analytics would sign Machado to a 10 year deal to play SS. That sounds like a deal the Orioles would make, effectively paying a 4.5 win player 30+ million a year.

I know Manny has had some ups and downs, but I've enjoyed watching him. As I get older and the age gap between myself and the " new" players grows larger, I realize there may only be so many more like Manny in my time. 

Thanks and good luck Manny.

Everyone has mentioned some of the plays that stand out and I was tuned in for all of them. When I heard he was being called up in 2012,  I found out what number he was going to wear and immediately ordered a custom Machado road t-shirt and had his name and number put on it. This was before any Machado shirts were available. 

As far as being there in person, one game stands out for me. September 29, 2012 was the Brooks Robinson statue unveiling ceremony and the game was vs. Boston. As if seeing my childhood hero in person and honored was not enough (and all the other O’s HOF guys there, including Earl), the AL East race was tight. Playoff atmosphere. NY lost that day and a win would give the O’s a share of the division lead. Very exciting since it was the last weekend of the season. Manny hit a solo shot in the 7th  just feet from me to put the O’s in the lead for good. Just an electric day. I was there for the KC ALCS home games two years later and of course, Manny was on the DL, so this was as close to what felt like a really meaningful game that I saw in person with Manny contributing mightily. I try to come up from NC once or twice a year. 

https://youtu.be/MSoIPo9YJ9A (YouTube won’t allow embedding of this clip, but it’s the MLB-TV game summary and highlights). Here’s a shot of us all reaching for or having our breath taken away by the ball approaching the wall. 

Za56ORT.jpg

I wish him well. It has seemed for a while that he really doesn’t have his heart here in Baltimore and has had his sights on a bigger stage. He may get there. Will be interesting to see what plays out. Hopefully this trade and those to follow will get the O’s back to where they were when things were really exciting at OPaCY. Bon Voyage. 

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, it's jumping the gun, but by many accounts, the o-fficial sendoff will be this week.   

The first time I met Dan Duquette, it was at a Press Box event in early 2013.  I mentioned to him that perhaps in the prior front office, they wouldn't have started the clock on Manny just yet.  Dan simply said, "He was ready."  

I submit that bringing up Manny in August 2012 was the sign from management to the team that we were going for it this year.  The Wilson Betemit era was coming to an end. (insert Tom Hanks screaming, "Willlssssssonnn.  I'm sorry Wilson!")

The Orioles were 60-51 through August 8, and 33-18 with Manny on the roster after that.   They battled NY through September and the season ended losing on game 5 of the division series vs. those same Yankees.  It was a bitter end, but the 14 year losing streak was over, and thus began the brief renaissance of Orioles baseball

The next season saw Manny playing 3B better than anyone in an Orioles uniform since Brooks Robinson retired.  Manny won his first Gold Glove and the Platinum Glove that year.  The number of highlights he made with the glove and bat the past 6 seasons could fill a feature length movie.

I really regret that this is where we are with Manny.  Although very few players stay with the same team their career anymore, Manny's one that I wish could've held that distinction.  I hold no delusions that the Orioles will reach out to him this offseason for a reunion.

Is there one play or one at bat that stands out to you?

If he is traded I will wish him luck. But with Peter lurking in the bushes he may nix a Manny trade. I'm sorry. I do want Manny to be traded. I just don't trust Mr. Angelos. 

2 hours ago, MikeAD said:

Had a traveling job and was able to see Manny play in the minors extensively.   The enthusiasm he and Schoop brought to the field everyday was contagious.   He has been so much fun to watch over the years.  I hope hes an Oriole again.  Until then,  Ill be watching every at bat I can, wishing him well.   

My wife and I watched Manny and Schoop take turns at short in Twin Lakes when they were both such pups.

They were wild and full of energy and wonderment. They were great pals as far as back then.

It was a fun half of a decade. A shame that baseball careers are so short and the time with their developmental club so fleeting. 

31 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Everyone has mentioned some of the plays that stand out and I was tuned in for all of them. When I heard he was being called up in 2012,  I found out what number he was going to wear and immediately ordered a custom Machado road t-shirt and had his name and number put on it. This was before any Machado shirts were available. 

As far as being there in person, one game stands out for me. September 29, 2012 was the Brooks Robinson statue unveiling ceremony and the game was vs. Boston. As if seeing my childhood hero in person and honored was not enough (and all the other O’s HOF guys there, including Earl), the AL East race was tight. Playoff atmosphere. NY lost that day and a win would give the O’s a share of the division lead. Very exciting since it was the last weekend of the season. Manny hit a solo shot in the 7th  just feet from me to put the O’s in the lead for good. Just an electric day. I was there for the KC ALCS home games two years later and of course, Manny was on the DL, so this was as close to what felt like a really meaningful game that I saw in person with Manny contributing mightily. I try to come up from NC once or twice a year. 

https://youtu.be/MSoIPo9YJ9A (YouTube won’t allow embedding of this clip, but it’s the MLB-TV game summary and highlights). Here’s a shot of us all reaching for or having our breath taken away by the ball approaching the wall. 

Za56ORT.jpg

I wish him well. It has seemed for a while that he really doesn’t have his heart here in Baltimore and has had his sights on a bigger stage. He may get there. Will be interesting to see what plays out. Hopefully this trade and those to follow will get the O’s back to where they were when things were really exciting at OPaCY. Bon Voyage. 

There is no bigger stage than LA. New York will pale next to Hollywood. 

Archived