Machado to the Dodgers, 5-1 deal

TonySoprano

Just now, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I am really glad the Orioles got Diaz. However, I find it odd how the Manny deal was centered around a hittter instead of a pitcher. Does anyone else find that odd as well? Do the Orioles have more of a hitting problem right now instead of a pitching problem? 

Not at all, and yes they do.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Anyone think that they would have tried to sign him if they didn't have the Davis contract?

Maybe, but should they considering their budget, what Manny will cost and the fact that they aren't close to competing?  Considering the O's are the worst team in the league this year (ok maybe second worst) why would Manny stay?

Just now, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I am really glad the Orioles got Diaz. However, I find it odd how the Manny deal was centered around a hittter instead of a pitcher. Does anyone else find that odd as well? Do the Orioles have more of a hitting problem right now instead of a pitching problem? 

I think we wanted controllable starters at the beginning of the year to try to compete this year. But apparently we have some decent arms in the lower minors. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Didn't expect to get a top 100 guy back for a rental in this market so I'm content. There are other pieces to trade people....much more work to be done

Manny was the cornerstone player to change the foundation of this team. They had 3 large market teams bidding in him. Teams that will just buy other international prospects. Diaz seems to have a floor of Adam Jones, so he's a good get. But the other pieces like Jones and Brach aren't getting you much more than if it works out a RP or utility type guy. Britton may get you 1 good prospect if a team panics. Hopefully the Braves panic and send us one if their good INF prospects for Britton.

Other than that, unless their trading Gausman or Bundy, Diaz is probably the only guy that has a really good shot to be a above average player.

7 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Turner is 33 years old, has been banged up, and is probably very aware he's on borrowed time. Adding Machado this year at SS will give him a chance to make another run at a WS before the Fat Lady sings.

Depending on how things go Manny might be taking Turner’s job next season.