Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

4 minutes ago, Lt Melmo said:

There are way too many posts on this subject and I'm not gonna read them all so I don't know how original this comment is, but I'm glad we won't be getting VVM. Theoretically at least, assuming we'll ever hire someone who'll spend all this money. 

No one seems to think VVM is a game changer, he's just close to ML ready. I've seen him projected as "Jon Jay-like". Definitely a good player to have on a contender but we're not gonna be a contender for most of the time we'd have him. I'd much rather we spend that money on contracts for every high ceiling 16 year old we can. And then spend more money revamping our development system so they actually have a chance to hit those ceilings.

The problem is most of the high ceiling 16 year olds were gone day 1.

I'm worried they are going to spend just to spend.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

We got the man we wanted with Chris Davis, Andrew Cashner, Chris Tillman, Ubaldo Jiminez, Yovani Gallardo ...

so our money spends, sometimes.

I think Cobb is the one guy we got.  I think other teams wanted him but not a 4 year deal.  The other guys I think we were bidding against ourselves. 

14 minutes ago, Lt Melmo said:

There are way too many posts on this subject and I'm not gonna read them all so I don't know how original this comment is, but I'm glad we won't be getting VVM. Theoretically at least, assuming we'll ever hire someone who'll spend all this money. 

No one seems to think VVM is a game changer, he's just close to ML ready. I've seen him projected as "Jon Jay-like". Definitely a good player to have on a contender but we're not gonna be a contender for most of the time we'd have him. I'd much rather we spend that money on contracts for every high ceiling 16 year old we can. And then spend more money revamping our development system so they actually have a chance to hit those ceilings.

Victor JR was supposed to be a high ceiling guy and was 16.  So you can be sad about that.  But I am not sure why you would be glad we didn't get a prospect.  If he doesn't pan out and reach his full potential we never pay him another cent.  If turns out to be a decent player we get a bargain.

I don't understand how long your rebuild plan is.  If we had signed him and brought him up in June we would have him through the 2025 Season. I guess if we aren't good by then we could trade him in a deadline deal.  But seriously if we don't think we will be good by the end of 2025 why do you even care what they do. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I don't even get the point of this argument.  The Orioles paid 2 million dollar signing bonus to Hunter Harvey 5 years ago.  So far he hasn't done anything.  Should the Orioles stop drafting players as they have a chance to not even make the majors yet expect millions when drafted in the first round? 

I was thinking the same thing. Why bother signing the 1st overall pick in the draft. He may not make it.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Jon Meoli from the Baltimore Sun.Actually brought it up again how getting rid of O'Day saves money both now and deferred and that was a big reason for the Gausman trade.

Signing the Mesas would have been an early coup in the Orioles’ return to the international market. But even though the $3 million in bonus allotment from the Gausman trade was a major part of it, so was getting all of O’Day’s salary plus the deferred money on his deal off the Orioles’ books, netting the team nearly $30 million in payroll savings through 2020.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-mesa-brothers-20181020-story.html

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I was thinking the same thing. Why bother signing the 1st overall pick in the draft. He may not make it.

This just gave me a premonition of doom. What if after this nightmare of a season and all of the uncertainty we’re currently in, what if the O’s can’t come to terms with the first overall pick in this coming draft? What are the chances this could happen? What then? I don’t follow the drafts, so I’m unfamiliar with the process.

38 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

This just gave me a premonition of doom. What if after this nightmare of a season and all of the uncertainty we’re currently in, what if the O’s can’t come to terms with the first overall pick in this coming draft? What are the chances this could happen? What then? I don’t follow the drafts, so I’m unfamiliar with the process.

That would suck and they would get a supplemental pick the following season(end of first round). Chances of it happening, 3%

I am disappointed that they couldn’t separate vmjr. As great as it would have been to add all three to the team, they are just prospects and it isn’t like vvm is going to be trout. Vmjr might have a ceiling of Benentindi(nothing to sneeze at), but that is 4 years away. 

I don’t think any of these guys are franchise players, but the hope was to add quality prospects. Almost like adding virtually free draft picks. 

This is disappointing, but not heart breaking. The team doesn’t have anyone at the helm, so it isn’t surprising. Unless someone steps up internally or Gaston waits until the winter meetings, I can see the Os losing him as well. 

Archived