Finding Matches for Our Veteran Trade Pieces

Greg Pappas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2018 at 10:50 AM, Greg Pappas said:

(Formerly titled "The Buyers Club")

We're expected to try to deal a few of our veteran players, and this thread is intended to lay out the possible matches. As notable trades occur, or teams appear to fall out of the race, I'll update the OP.

These are the most likely teams to be buyers coupled with their most pressing needs:

1. Red Sox - Needs: 2B, CA, and Starting pitching 
  2. Yankees - Needs: 1B and Starting pitching
  3. Indians - Needs: Relievers (Acquired Brad Hand and Adam Cimber from the Padres) and OF'ers
  4. Astros - Needs: Bullpen help
  5. Mariners - Needs: Starting pitching
  6. A's - Needs: Starting pitching and Relievers (Acquired Jeurys Familia from the Mets)
  7. Phillies - Needs: SS, 3B, and Relievers
  8. Braves - Needs: Relievers
  9. Nationals - Needs: ?
  10. Cubs - Needs: Starting pitching
  11. Brewers - Needs: CA and SS
  12. Cardinals - Needs: ?
  13. Dodgers - Needs: Relievers
  14. Diamondbacks - Needs: 2B, SS, and CA
  15. Rockies - Needs: Relievers
  16. Giants - Needs: OF'ers and Relievers

If interested, check out these Trade Resource threads, as they help with getting a feel for potential prospect returns:

Bump this.  

So for Jones, we only have the Indians and Giants listed as needed OF? The Mariners look like they could use some OF depth.  Maybe Oakland?  They could use some veteran leadership too. Atlanta could use some OF depth too with a young Acuna and a weak hitting Inciarte in CF (although he's much better defensively than Jones.)  

If Giants took him, would we be willing to take back Pence for a stronger prospect return? He's gone after the year right?

I feel the Brew Crew could use an upgrade and 2B and should be looking at Schoop. How are the Yankees not in on Schoop?  Walker sucks and they are going to need a 2B next year.

Also might as well throw the Pirates on there too.  What are their needs?

Oakland seems like a good landing spot for Cashner. I could see them going for Bundy too and swinging him in a year or two.  Cashner seems like a good fit for Seattle too if they don't want to buy big.  Sets them up with some depth for next year too.

Brach to Phillies.  Good buy low for them, switching leagues

Does Atlanta need starters? So does Colorado.  Wouldn't Colorado want to upgrade at 2B too?  Maybe some OF depth too. Maybe Gausman, Schoop, Brach, Gentry to Colorado for a package centered around Brendan Rogers

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Bump this.  

So for Jones, we only have the Indians and Giants listed as needed OF? The Mariners look like they could use some OF depth.  Maybe Oakland?  They could use some veteran leadership too. Atlanta could use some OF depth too with a young Acuna and a weak hitting Inciarte in CF (although he's much better defensively than Jones.)  

If Giants took him, would we be willing to take back Pence for a stronger prospect return? He's gone after the year right?

I feel the Brew Crew could use an upgrade and 2B and should be looking at Schoop. How are the Yankees not in on Schoop?  Walker sucks and they are going to need a 2B next year.

Also might as well throw the Pirates on there too.  What are their needs?

Oakland seems like a good landing spot for Cashner. I could see them going for Bundy too and swinging him in a year or two.  Cashner seems like a good fit for Seattle too if they don't want to buy big.  Sets them up with some depth for next year too.

Brach to Phillies.  Good buy low for them, switching leagues

Does Atlanta need starters? So does Colorado.  Wouldn't Colorado want to upgrade at 2B too?  Maybe some OF depth too. Maybe Gausman, Schoop, Brach, Gentry to Colorado for a package centered around Brendan Rogers

A lot of good talking points.  Needs are subjective, certainly, and I'll be happy to add or change any listed in the OP. 
I added the Pirates, thank you. 
The Yankees have Gleyber Torres at 2B and he'll be a fixture for them for a long time.

I agree with Billy Rip and Rosenthal, sending Jones back to Seattle could be interesting.  Their CFer, Heredia, has a WAR of -0.3. 

Dan Connolly recently wrote an article "Ranking the Orioles’ 10 most likely trade candidates" (https://theathletic.com/441478/2018/07/23/ranking-the-orioles-10-most-likely-trade-candidates/)  About Brach he wrote

One talent evaluator told me that Brach has gone from a potential closer for a contender this year to “just another guy in the bullpen.” And he’s a guy with $2-plus million left on his contract, which expires at the end of this season. Still, Brach continues to strike out a batter an inning and that may be enough for a team looking for help in the seventh or eighth. The teams that fit for Britton also could use Brach, though things seem relatively quiet on the Brach front for obvious reasons. If he’s not dealt this month, he’d be a candidate to be traded in August, assuming he passes through trade waivers.

from ESPN http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24185257/trade-talk-hearing-wants-cole-hamels-next-orioles

While Brach has a solid track record, he's having a subpar season (1.74 WHIP, 4.97 ERA) in a market filled with bullpen arms. "There are 10 Brad Brachs out there,'' said an NL scout.

I agree with these takes.  Name me a contender that could really use Brach.  IF he goes, and I already said I'd be stunned, it's in a package, not alone.

2 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

It would be cool if some of our less valuable pieces would be traded for international bonus pool money. That would definitely be a change!

Then I'd start believing these jokes/comments about signing Victor Victor.

50 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I agree with these takes.  Name me a contender that could really use Brach.  IF he goes, and I already said I'd be stunned, it's in a package, not alone.

And we won't get much back if anything.  Those hoping for a Brach trade are just looking to unload all expiring contracts, which is fine, but it wont move the needle either way for the Orioles future. 

44 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Then I'd start believing these jokes/comments about signing Victor Victor.

The Lantern asked Roch about Victor Victor on the radio the other morning, and Roch responded "Who?"  He literally had no idea who Coleman was talking about.  That leads me to either believe that Roch is severely lacking in his knowledge of the international market, or that the Orioles have had ZERO interest in him to the point in not even mentioning his name.  

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

I agree with Billy Rip and Rosenthal, sending Jones back to Seattle could be interesting.  Their CFer, Heredia, has a WAR of -0.3. 

Dan Connolly recently wrote an article "Ranking the Orioles’ 10 most likely trade candidates" (https://theathletic.com/441478/2018/07/23/ranking-the-orioles-10-most-likely-trade-candidates/)  About Brach he wrote

from ESPN http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24185257/trade-talk-hearing-wants-cole-hamels-next-orioles

I can't see Brach bringing back much of anything. I don't see how he improves any contender's bullpen - unless there is a high profile injury and a team is desperate.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I can't see Brach bringing back much of anything. I don't see how he improves any contender's bullpen - unless there is a high profile injury and a team is desperate.

I actually think Brach would be OK on a team with an established closer as a 7th/8th inning guy.  That's where he thrived and likely belongs.   I think a change to the NL would be good, too.

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I actually think Brach would be OK on a team with an established closer as a 7th/8th inning guy.  That's where he thrived and likely belongs.   I think a change to the NL would be good, too.

I agree.  I also think teams will take a chance that the player (Brach, Schoop, etc) performs closer to their career norms once they get away from the disaster that the 2018 Orioles have become.  

I think the Oriole match up exceptionally well with the Pirates for Gausman.

The Pirates find themselves in this weird spot where they have won 12 in a row (with a +49 run differential ?) and have worked themselves back into the wildcard discussion.  They probably owe to their players and fans to make moves to improve the club but also can't go all in if they rebound backwards.

Obtaining Gausman would give them a controllable pitcher who would probably improve in the NL.  They have a plethora of homegrown pitching and a number of pitchers who won't help them soon.  A deal centered around a guy like Kingham or alternatively Baz could help both teams.  

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Pirates find themselves in this weird spot where they have won 12 in a row (with a +49 run differential ?) and have worked themselves back into the wildcard discussion.  They probably owe to their players and fans to make moves to improve the club but also can't go all in if they rebound backwards.

Obtaining Gausman would give them a controllable pitcher who would probably improve in the NL.  They have a plethora of homegrown pitching and a number of pitchers who won't help them soon.  A deal centered around a guy like Kingham or alternatively Baz could help both teams.  

Could be a nice match up. three of their top five prospects are below AA based on the latest baseball america update. They have some nice prospects on the cusp of reaching the bigs. We might be able to get a deal centered around Ke'Bryan Hayes who is 21, elite defensively, in AA, and a gap to gap hitter. He would be a great get and is described as having "upper-echelon" potential among third basemen. Adding Baz would be awesome as well. For a package centered around those two and maybe some depth/lotto tickets I'd let them choose between Gaus and Bundy. Bundy might be a better fit due to team control and ability to be elite more consistently than Gausman. Our system lacks star power, Ke'bryan Hayes might be a future star and Baz has frontline potential.

12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

That's an interesting idea. Ray Searage is good at getting pitchers to reach their potential so Gausman would be a good win now and build for the future move. 

If not maybe they'd be interested in Cashner for a cheaper move. 

Archived