Manny’s farewell statement

Frobby

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Markakis took out a full page ad in the Baltimore Sun when he left. Good to see Manny with some nice words.

Problem today is if Machado took out a full page ad in the Sun  nobody would see it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Markakis took out a full page ad in the Baltimore Sun when he left. Good to see Manny with some nice words.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Better to use social media, where people will actually see it. 

Both are good, and who knows what Manny might do in the future.    Also, there’s a difference between choosing to leave, as Markakis did, and being traded.     Maybe a little more onus on Markakis to show the love through an ad.

He may be saying all the right things, but he also said on arrival at the Dodgers that "It's a team sport. I'm just coming here to try to help the team however I can, whether it's defense, offense, third, short, wherever it is. I'm here to just play."

It would have been nice if he had said this here too.

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

He may be saying all the right things, but he also said on arrival at the Dodgers that "It's a team sport. I'm just coming here to try to help the team however I can, whether it's defense, offense, third, short, wherever it is. I'm here to just play."

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

Good point, would have been nice if Manny hadn’t refused to play 3B for us. We could have played JJ Hardy at SS and probably would have had a really good defense. Might have won a lot of games. 

I think Manny would probably make a pretty good defensive 3B. Guess we’ll finally find out now that he’s willing to do that for the Dodgers. 

2 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

51 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Good point, would have been nice if Manny hadn’t refused to play 3B for us. We could have played JJ Hardy at SS and probably would have had a really good defense. Might have won a lot of games. 

I think Manny would probably make a pretty good defensive 3B. Guess we’ll finally find out now that he’s willing to do that for the Dodgers. 

You know, this false narrative that Manny “demanded” to play SS and/or “refused” to play 3B has been repeated numerous times and really bothers me.    There’s zero evidence that this is the case.    The only evidence suggests that Manny let management know that he strongly preferred to switch to SS, that Buck decided to do it, and that Manny was very happy about it.     And I have zero problem with Manny letting his feelings be known.    It was up to Buck to decide what was best, and there’s no evidence at all that Manny forced his hand.   None.    

11 hours ago, Malike said:

26 years old is a kid? I guess that's why so many late 20's early 30 somethings still live with their parents. Glad my 26 year old is a grown up. Manny was a great Oriole, I wish him nothing but success this season and the years beyond.

You can be a kid at any age.  When I was 24 25 26.  I had a full time job lived on my own but was still a kid out partying running around having fun with mostly just myself on my mind.    I had a girlfriend but wasn’t the best boyfriend with how I acted all the way up to the middle of me being 26 then in just two words everything changed on that day.  Now 11 years later haven’t been out partying once instead spending my evening at the softball field or in the stands watching soccer cheering with my wife that one thing that changed my entire life and turned me from a kid to a man.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, this false narrative that Manny “demanded” to play SS and/or “refused” to play 3B has been repeated numerous times and really bothers me.    There’s zero evidence that this is the case.    The only evidence suggests that Manny let management know that he strongly preferred to switch to SS, that Buck decided to do it, and that Manny was very happy about it.     And I have zero problem with Manny letting his feelings be known.    It was up to Buck to decide what was best, and there’s no evidence at all that Manny forced his hand.   None.    

Well said. I believe Manny believes he's a short stop. I also believe that Manny knows that wherever the Dodgers decide to play him, he's going to play there. He very may well be marketing himself as a SS after the season while entertaining offers, but I have no doubt he'd be happy to play 3B for the Dodgers this season if they put him there. I'm sure he wouldn't have been pouting every day if the O's kept him at 3B this season, too.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My post was (I thought) dripping in sarcasm, so we are very much in agreement here. 

“Play me at third, short, wherever” has quite literally been Manny’s approach to where he’s played his entire career. He obviously prefers SS, but when it was best for the Orioles for him to play 3B with Hardy at short, where was he?

Archived