O's vs. Yankees for Teixeira?

fearthenoodle

From a Buster Olney chat:

Peter Angelos (Baltimore): I'm ready to open the vault for Teixeira this offseason. Will that plus a competitive season from the O's be enough to bring him to Baltimore?

SportsNation Buster Olney: Peter: If Hank Steinbrenner is the one who decides what the Yankees' offer is going to be, forget it - he'll wind up in NY. If Brian Cashman decides (and holds down the NYY offer), then you'll get him.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees will not pay more for Tex than they are giving to A-Rod. Just imagine what that would do to the Yankee clubhouse. As long as the contract stays below 25 million a season, the O's will be in it...

There's been a HUGE amount of love expressed towards Teix on the Hangout. If he spurns the O's to sign with the Yankees for a mere $2m more per season, it'll be interesting to see where Hangouter's fall on that siutation.

The Yankees will not pay more for Tex than they are giving to A-Rod. Just imagine what that would do to the Yankee clubhouse. As long as the contract stays below 25 million a season, the O's will be in it...

Agreed. And along those lines, I just don't see Angelos allowing the YANKEES to outbid the O's for the hometown kid.

There's been a HUGE amount of love expressed towards Teix on the Hangout. If he spurns the O's to sign with the Yankees for a mere $2m more per season, it'll be interesting to see where Hangouter's fall on that siutation.

I brought this up a few weeks ago. The OH will turn on him worse than they did against Moose. There is not a doubt in my mind about that!

I don't even like him that much. He's a great player and I'd love to have him, but I like Adam Dunn more even though he's a slightly worse player.

The Yanks should save about 30M with Carl Pavano and Giambi coming off the books. It will pretty much be their call as to whether he's a Yank for not.

Frankly, my limit for Teixaira would probably be even less than Cashman's.

Tex will be signing with whomever offers him the biggest contract. Whether thats the Yankees, the Mets, the O's or the freaking Royals. Who ever gives him the most dollars, is where he'll go.

I think Angelos will be right in that mix, but I think MacPhail will be trying to reel him in a bit. if Steinbrenner goes crazy for him, over $20M by a lot, I think he'll end up elsewhere.

If his price tag stays in the $16-20M range, I think he comes here.

I brought this up a few weeks ago. The OH will turn on him worse than they did against Moose. There is not a doubt in my mind about that!

By and large I agree. Where do you think the difference in $$$ is that will keep the love? For example, if we offer $20m and he signs with the Yankees for $27m? Is that enough for HO'ers to say, "we understand"?

Agreed. And along those lines, I just don't see Angelos allowing the YANKEES to outbid the O's for the hometown kid.

Considering he signed Belle away from the Yankees, I'm pretty confident he'd go the extra mile to get Tex. Tex on the Orioles is a big part of the legacy he's counting on, no matter what the cost. I doubt Tex will see 25 million a season though. A 8/160 or 10/200 contract may be very likely...

By and large I agree. Where do you think the difference in $$$ is that will keep the love? For example, if we offer $20m and he signs with the Yankees for $27m? Is that enough for HO'ers to say, "we understand"?

Then they will rally against Angelos for being cheap and not going through with the signing of Tex. This is a no win situation...either he signs here, or someone will be raked through the coals!

Then they will rally against Angelos for being cheap and not going through with the signing of Tex. This is a no win situation...either he signs here, or someone will be raked through the coals!

Which is why I think we'll get him in the end or at least we'll offer the most money. I don't see Angelos being outbid for this very reason. Ultimately that bodes well as the one who offers Boras the most money will land Tex IMO.

I look for MacPhail to be extremely aggressive in pursing Tex once FA starts...

Which is why I think we'll get him in the end or at least we'll offer the most money. I don't see Angelos being outbid for this very reason. Ultimately that bodes well as the one who offers Boras the most money will land Tex IMO.

I look for MacPhail to be extremely aggressive in pursing Tex once FA starts...

I sure hope you're right JTrea!

The Yanks should save about 30M with Carl Pavano and Giambi coming off the books. It will pretty much be their call as to whether he's a Yank for not.

Frankly, my limit for Teixaira would probably be even less than Cashman's.

I'll bet the Yanks re-sign Giambi to a one or two year deal after this year so long as he doesn't fall off the table again during the second half.

Not that they'd stop going after Tex necessarily if they re-sign Giambi, but it would help our cause if they did (and I think they will).

Archived