Manny Was Told He Was Traded Last Sunday

weams

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/07/22/manny-machado-trade-dodgers/816040002/

It was a week ago Sunday when Machado homered for the 24th time this season, the Orioles playing the final game of the first half against the Texas Rangers, when he was removed after the fourth inning after a 26-minute rain delay.

The Orioles told reporters after the game it was simply for precaution, making sure Machado didn’t get hurt playing on a wet field.

They may have fibbed to everyone else, but they told Machado the truth.

“That’s when they had told me I had been traded,’’ Machado said. “They said they pretty much had a deal done. They just wanted to wait until after the break to get all of the medical stuff done.

“They kept me up to date as much as they could, but they wouldn’t tell me where I was going. Only that I was going somewhere.’’

"I gotta call him in," Showalter said. "Manny's got his spikes back on, the game's about to start back up. I tell him that I'm pulling him and then he gives me that look. And what the look says to me is: This is it. And just like that, it got real emotional. I said, '

Manny, I've got to be honest with you. It looks like they must have something in place. And if they don't, they're close to having something in place. And they don't want to take a chance on you getting hurt.'

"Now he says, 'Where am I going? Buck, if you know, tell me where I'm going.' I told him the truth, because I didn't, but I said, 'If I knew, I would tell you.'"

Mike Lupica - 7/18 - https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/buck-showalter-fondly-remembers-manny-machado/c-286392400

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

A national writer reveals this and not a Baltimore writer...shocking 

I have a hard time believing that the announcers and post game hosts didn’t have an idea of what was going on.  The tone of the sunday post-game interview with Manny felt like everyone involved knew that he was traded.

8 hours ago, weams said:

Yes..the key phrase is “pretty much”....meaning the trade was not yet finalized, but was close and that was why he was removed and also likely why he was not told who the team was.  To protect him against injury but also to protect against Manny being told, getting his hopes fixed in one direction and then the deal fall through. 

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I have a hard time believing that the announcers and post game hosts didn’t have an idea of what was going on.  The tone of the sunday post-game interview with Manny felt like everyone involved knew that he was traded.

I think everyone knew it was likely Manny had played his last game for us.   Not sure everyone knew a deal was more or less in place.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think everyone knew it was likely Manny had played his last game for us.   Not sure everyone knew a deal was more or less in place.   

I think everybody in baseball knew it was a done deal. Buck pretty much tap dance around the subject in his post-game interview. :)

The way this FO doesn't clue the local guys into their dealings, it doesn't surprise me that a national guy was able to break the news first. Leak in MLB New York, or the Dodger's org, or Manny's agent.

28 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Roy reported to OH on that Sunday that the deal was in place since  Friday. Just throwing that out there. 

Roy didn’t “report” anything.   He said he believed there was a deal in place for Manny as of that Friday.   He also said the same thing about Britton, and his belief was incorrect.   Keep in mind that   Roy is not a reporter. He’s a fan who happens to have good connections in the Orioles’ organization and elsewhere, and relays rumors that he hears sometimes or forms his own hunches based on the tidbits he picks up.  I like to read about what Roy is hearing and his hunches, but I don’t put them in the category of definitive factual reporting unless Roy specifies that they are.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Roy didn’t “report” anything.   He said he believed there was a deal in place for Manny as of that Friday.   He also said the same thing about Britton, and his belief was incorrect.   Keep in mind that   Roy is not a reporter. He’s a fan who happens to have good connections in the Orioles’ organization and elsewhere, and relays rumors that he hears sometimes or forms his own hunches based on the tidbits he picks up.  I like to read about what Roy is hearing and his hunches, but I don’t put them in the category of definitive factual reporting unless Roy specifies that they are.

I didn’t mean “report” as in Walter Cronkite. Although Roy’s post was closer to a journalistic report than many tweets that generate pages of replies on OH. ? but fair enough...I over-reported Roy’s report of his beliefs. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I didn’t mean “report” as in Walter Cronkite. Although Roy’s post was closer to a journalistic report than many tweets that generate pages of replies on OH. ? but fair enough...I over-reported Roy’s report of his beliefs. 

Oh, Roy may have been told that by someone who knew. But Roy never went "Reporter" with the information that he had. 

Archived