John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

Jones is probably my 2nd favorite Oriole of all time but I don't get this. He holds all the cards now but he'll be a free agent at the end of the year which means he won't hold any cards then. And if the club really is changing it's way of doing things, there shouldn't be any wink and a nod deal with ownership to bring him back next year. Duquette or whoever the GM is should make that call. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think some people just hate all the players.  They want them all traded. When someone wants to stay they want them gone.  It is more than 3 months.  If Jones stays with the team and sign with a new team in free agency it wouldn't have to be in the new city until April.  

This does seem to be true. Fans rip players when they show no loyalty to town or team and call them greedy and mercenary, then they rip them for caring about the town and team and for wanting to stay there with their families. It’s very weird to me.

other thoughts: Jones has been a bargain for the Orioles. They didn’t give him extra money when he outperformed his contract. Why should he cause his family problems to help them get a B prospect? Players already spend half the season away from their families. I think people underestimate the family difficulties. People talkabout playing for a ring, but not everyone would want to win a ring when you are just the hired gun for a few months. I know that would be weird for me. If you could perform like Randy Johnson after his trade to Arizona, then sure. But what if you are just middling after the trade and really don’t contribute much to a World Series run. You get the ring but it’s almost a participation trophy. I don’t know. I think it’s more complicated that some fans think. 

42 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I like Jones. But let's face it, he is not a guy that cares that much about winning. IF he did he would have removed himself from CF by now.

Baloney. He openly promoted the idea of calling up Mullins in a recent interview. I’m sure he wants to play CF, but the guys not dumb. 

He has the right to reject a trade.  If he does, he would neither be the first nor the last to do so.  His said his number one concern is his family.  That's understandable.  Even a trade to Philly would create a strain, since that would be quite a long commute from his residence.  If he nixes a potential trade, I can't be upset.

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Maybe try to empathize with the parents of a kid who was told Jones would be there to sign and then didn’t show. 

Sounds like a good life lesson. Life will be disappointing and kids will not always get everything they think.

18 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Baloney. He openly promoted the idea of calling up Mullins in a recent interview. I’m sure he wants to play CF, but the guys not dumb. 

Hey, I like the guy. I'm not putting him "down." I certainly was not suggesting he was dumb. And, as far as the interview, did Adam say, "Bring up Mullins and let him play CF while I move to a corner spot?" 

Ripken and others make an important point: Trading Jones is unlikely to yield much. 

A caveat to my defense of Jones’ decision: Buck and DD can’t let his staying interfere with developing Mullins and others. If Jones stays, then he and Buck can’t let that get in the way of what’s best for the team’s future. 

10 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I'd be mildly upset if I thought he'd bring back anything of real value, but, whatever.  I know we all like him but I really hope the Os don't sign him.

Don't tell Cedric Mullins whatever. Is he going to be stuck with the Tides until rosters expand next month now? Don't they need a longer look at him to plan for next year? This is no way to run a rebuild, 

3 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Hey, I like the guy. I'm not putting him "down." I certainly was not suggesting he was dumb. And, as far as the interview, did Adam say, "Bring up Mullins and let him play CF while I move to a corner spot?" 

Sorry for saying baloney. Too harsh. Jones was definitely  out saying bench me every game for Mullins or move me to right field. He stated clearly that Mullins was the future center fielder and needed reps in the majors. Jones made it sound like a shared position later this year. He was realistic but also wants to be treated with respect. 

3 minutes ago, vab said:

Don't tell Cedric Mullins whatever. Is he going to be stuck with the Tides until rosters expand next month now? Don't they need a longer look at him to plan for next year? This is no way to run a rebuild, 

He's 10/5.  It's up to him.  Has nothing to do with a rebuild.  I want him to go but I understand how he feels. 

There are other OF and lineup spots.  Mullins could be here now if they wanted him up.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Yeah, that's probably the normal thing to do in that situation.  I'm sure they could spend a lot of the summer visiting at whatever his new destination.  Especially somewhere like Philly.  Easy drive.  

Unfathomable to me how a player like him would rather play on a rebuilding team on pace to lose 120 than go to a contender.  

Maybe he just likes it in Baltimore. If he wants to stay in Baltimore so be it. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or his family can just stay while he plays somewhere else for three months.

Lots of jobs require that sort of sacrifice.

He’s earned the right to decline a trade.    It’s a personal decision and it certainly doesn’t offend me if he prefers to stay put.    

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Wow.   Have you guys watched this guy play the last decade?   He always gives his all between the lines.   He's a team leader and a great part of the community.   As for "removing himself" from CF... often the athlete himself is the last to understand and accept when his skills decline.    And guys who ask out of games or situations are usually considered poor teammates and derided by fans and players alike.   Pro athletes have been competing since they were 6 years old and every coach they have ever had has taught them to compete, compete hard, go out and do what you are asked.   Shying away from a challenge or asking out of a game or position goes against everything they have learned in their entire life.

If there was a shred of evidence that Buck or someone had asked Adam to move out of CF to a corner and he has refused, that might be a different story.

Lots of ignorant comments of late on this board. The alarming thing is that many just don't care if they are being ignorant. The ignorant comments directed at Adam Jones in particular are rooted in things outside of baseball and I hope those particular individuals get the karma they deserve in this world. 

Because clearly Adam Jones losing a step in CF is why we have the worst record in MLB..rolls eyes...

Adam Jones is a true leader and I am thankful I have been able to watch him in an Orioles uniform and I will be there when his number is retired. My favorite Oriole of all time. Thank you Mr. Jones.

Archived