Any thoughts on who Buck was referring to RE: Surprise future closer?

esmd

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I haven't been watching a whole lot this year (we had to cancel cable)....by the numbers Mike Wright has been pretty bad as per usual. What makes anyone here think Buck was talking about him? I feel like the role is clearly for Givens in the future.

In his last 18 appearances dating back to mid-May, Wright has a 1.95 ERA and his velocity has ticked up, so there’s a hope that he’s turned a corner.   Personally, I’m not convinced, but the hope is there.   

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

If it's Wright we should move him to the closer role immediately.  There's virtually no chance he'll succeed there so it'll really help with the tank.

While I agree, the recent turnaround has be a little hopefully.  Like brother @Frobby pointed out, 1.95 ERA across 18 appearances is nothing to sneeze at.  It's moving past "small sample size!" territory...it's not there, but it's trending that way.

I'm not convinced either, but there's no reason that he shouldn't be given a shot.  And I've been down on Mike Wright just as much as anyone could be.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In his last 18 appearances dating back to mid-May, Wright has a 1.95 ERA and his velocity has ticked up, so there’s a hope that he’s turned a corner.   Personally, I’m not convinced, but the hope is there.   

Wow, I didn't realize that. I always thought he seemed better suited as a power relief pitcher, but ninth inning guy never really seemed plausible with his seemingly shakey presence on the mound. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

Wow, I didn't realize that. I always thought he seemed better suited as a power relief pitcher, but ninth inning guy never really seemed plausible with his seemingly shakey presence on the mound. 

Here’s why I’m not convinced: despite his 1.95 ERA in that span, his WHIP is 1.61 and his K/BB ratio is a fairly pedestrian 25:13 in 32.1 IP.   That doesn’t scream dominance to me.    I think at best he’s a useful middle reliever, not a high leverage back-end guy.   But I’d love for him to prove me wrong.  

Mike Wright has definitely shown something in the last couple of months. The problem is, the rest of his career has been terrible. I can't imagine trusting him to get the last out against the Red Sox or Yankees. At this point, trusting him with a lead in the 7th would be a stretch.

What about Castro?

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Mike Wright has definitely shown something in the last couple of months. The problem is, the rest of his career has been terrible. I can't imagine trusting him to get the last out against the Red Sox or Yankees. At this point, trusting him with a lead in the 7th would be a stretch.

What about Castro?

He had 2 scoreless starts to open his career, of 7.1 IP and 7 IP. it's been all downhill from there.

2 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I want to just take this opportunity to state how much I loathe the idea of a "closer". Stupidest concept in sports.

The notion of using a "closer" solely for getting the textbook definition of a save, which is how Buck uses the closer, is completely idiotic. Using your best pitcher in the highest leverage situations is not.

2 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

The notion of using a "closer" solely for getting the textbook definition of a save, which is how Buck uses the closer, is completely idiotic. Using your best pitcher in the highest leverage situations is not.

Not many guys actually do this.

Archived