Dan's 3 year Plan

TonySoprano

“Without getting into (other) names, when the team decides that they’re going to rebuild their roster, part of the process is to project the players that you have on your current roster and in the minor league and look at the contribution that they can add to your roster a couple years down the road. We’re in the process of doing that.

“So, to me, you have a daily plan, you have a one-year plan. I don’t put that much emphasis on a two-year plan, but on a three-year plan I think you can really lean and look and try to project what kind of contribution you can get from the players you have on your current roster. There’s a lot of data that helps you do that more accurately and we’re in the process of doing that. But that’s part of the process when you rebuild.”

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/zach-britton-its-been-a-great-12-years.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm surprised and impressed. 

I really hope DD comes back and is given the opportunity to run this organization.

Zach and Manny departed and did so in a class act way. I'm going to miss them. 

Their love for the organization certainly doesn't fit the narrative of some posters.

Duquette has been taking advantage of other teams’ depth and 40 man roster issues concerning the rule 5 next year. That’s how we’ve been able to get guys like Pop, Carroll, Kremer, Rogers, Valera, and Rogers and 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th pieces.

I’m pretty sure all of these guys, including Diaz and Tate, have to be on the 40 man roster by the time the rosters have to be set next November/December for the Rule 5 draft.  We’ve seen DD take advantage of this before, see Castro, Y. Ramirez, Asher, Ynoa, Verrett, Fry and others. 

We’re going to have to add a bunch of our own guys to the 40 man. Come November, DD might have turned over 50-60% of the 40 man roster. We might actually have a rule 5 guys drafted from us this year. 

All of this means we have to keep trading. For every Gausman, Bundy, Givens, Schoop, Joseph, Beckham, that we hold onto for next year, means that we’re risking exposing some pretty solid guys to the rule 5 next year.  

If someone that knows about the rule 5 requirements better would post how we’re looking, I’m sure everyone here would really appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sounds like Dan will be here for the long term.

With these two trades he pulled off, let him stay.

Yes, as far as I can recall, this is the most confident and in-command impression he's given since coming to the O's. Also the most personable and open (the anecdote about Zach). Gives the sense that he's not looking over his shoulder (or behind his back or above his head) so much as setting his sights on an intelligently envisioned future. He's a master of roster management and dumpster-diving. Now it looks like he's learned how to trade as well, previously the biggest deficit when comparing him with MacPhail.

I hope Buck and Brady learn how to accede leadership to him and stop whatever pig-headed ways they may have been tripping him up.

I would say that with the trades and interviews of the last week or so Dan's redeemed himself from the Toronto fiasco. It appears that the real root cause--the difficulty of working under PA--has been contained.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Duquette has been taking advantage of other teams’ depth and 40 man roster issues concerning the rule 5 next year. That’s how we’ve been able to get guys like Pop, Carroll, Kremer, Rogers, Valera, and Rogers and 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th pieces.

I’m pretty sure all of these guys, including Diaz and Tate, have to be on the 40 man roster by the time the rosters have to be set next November/December for the Rule 5 draft.  We’ve seen DD take advantage of this before, see Castro, Y. Ramirez, Asher, Ynoa, Verrett, Fry and others. 

We’re going to have to add a bunch of our own guys to the 40 man. Come November, DD might have turned over 50-60% of the 40 man roster. We might actually have a rule 5 guys drafted from us this year. 

All of this means we have to keep trading. For every Gausman, Bundy, Givens, Schoop, Joseph, Beckham, that we hold onto for next year, means that we’re risking exposing some pretty solid guys to the rule 5 next year.  

If someone that knows about the rule 5 requirements better would post how we’re looking, I’m sure everyone here would really appreciate it. 

"The Orioles assigned Tate to Double-A Bowie and Rogers and Carroll to Triple-A Norfolk. They’ll need a replacement for Britton on the 25-man roster.

All three players must be protected from the Rule 5 draft before the Winter Meetings."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/zach-britton-its-been-a-great-12-years.html

Two year plans are certainly overrated. And three year plans are OK. But I think it's clear that the real money is in 7.64 year plans. No one ever sees those coming. 

Relatedly, how many times do we think "move to Canada" has been added to/subtracted from Dan's yearly plans at this point?

5 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

Two year plans are certainly overrated. And three year plans are OK. But I think it's clear that the real money is in 7.64 year plans. No one ever sees those coming. 

Relatedly, how many times do we think "move to Canada" has been added to/subtracted from Dan's yearly plans at this point?

I could be totally wrong and misreading the situation, but to me Dan's quotes sound like a guy who is focused on his goal of rebuilding the Orioles and itching to get things moving.  I think he wants to be the main architect here that fixes things.

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sounds like Dan will be here for the long term.

With these two trades he pulled off, let him stay.

I was actually thinking this, with the Manny trade, and thought he wasn't acting like a lame duck GM

2 hours ago, weams said:

I'm surprised and impressed. 

I am as well, at least with the sure numbers, maybe some of these will pan out.

Dan certainly acting like he'll be here for the long run.  If he's freed up 100%, I don't mind him being here at all.

My bone to pick is that it shouldn't be a 3 year plan, it should be a 3 year plan with a focus on sustained success.  I hate talking about windows, I hate talking about "windows closing."  I hate talking about rebuilding, even though its necessary in this case.

I hope when they get good again, there's a plan to lock up good young talent for the long term so they don't hit FA until past their age 32-35 seasons.  I hope Manny is a lesson on a number of levels...first, that a young star should have been locked up awhile ago...and two, if they can't lock him up, trade him a year or two before he hits FA to get a better return.  I hope they really, truly invest in the South American market and have a continuous wave of talent coming through.  I don't expect them to have a top 5 system all the time, but I don't see why they can't be in the top half of teams all the time.  

But Dan's 3 year plan is looking good after these past two weeks.  I'd like to see him here for it because he's certainly laid some good groundwork here.

Archived