Trade Cabrera after his next dominant start

broberts

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think my dog can prove that as well. Chances are they usually dont. Baseball is a tough game...only 500 or so in the world can play at this level.

But sometimes you need to just wait out someone with this much talent. Show me some examples of someone this talented that never made it

Like I said, I'd need Drungo in here to prove that. And level of talent isn't something you can quantify with numbers. I could throw out a name and you could easily say Daniel has more talent, without either of us being able to prove our point.

Bottom line is he's, if anything, gotten worse as the years went on. He's still walking half the lineup. He still has no idea where the ball is going. He still refuses to throw his changeup. He still can't field his position. He still can't hold runners on.

We have two choices: Hold on to him and HOPE he turns into something, or trade him to someone willing to take that risk and get more of a sure thing back. I'd rather go with the latter, because I'd lay money down that Daniel Cabrera never "gets it."

Are you serious? I don't even know where to start, the history books are littered with pitchers this talented that never made it.

History books cant compete with the eyes. Our eyes say this guy can be incredible. How many of those guys had a no hitter in the 9th against the Yankees? How do you give up on someone like that so easily?

Its not like they are competing and he is holding them back.

Like I said, I'd need Drungo in here to prove that. And level of talent isn't something you can quantify with numbers. I could throw out a name and you could easily say Daniel has more talent, without either of us being able to prove our point.

Bottom line is he's, if anything, gotten worse as the years went on. He's still walking half the lineup. He still has no idea where the ball is going. He still refuses to throw his changeup. He still can't field his position. He still can't hold runners on.

We have two choices: Hold on to him and HOPE he turns into something, or trade him to someone willing to take that risk and get more of a sure thing back. I'd rather go with the latter, because I'd lay money down that Daniel Cabrera never "gets it."

I respect Drungo a lot. But why do we believe baseball is a science? Why do you think Drungo will come in here and give us the answers? Its our opinion.

History books cant compete with the eyes. Our eyes say this guy can be incredible. How many of those guys had a no hitter in the 9th against the Yankees? How do you give up on someone like that so easily?

History books are written by people who had eyes :rolleyes:

Boogi I think you just really like this guy and are letting that fact skew your perception. You're talking like Daniel Cabrera is Cy Young reincarnated here. Yeah, he can dominate. But his dominant starts are becoming fewer and further between.

I respect Drungo a lot. But why do we believe baseball is a science? Why do you think Drungo will come in here and give us the answers? Its our opinion.

I agree with you on the second part, I think people put a bit too much faith into numbers. But right now I'm not talking about obscure stats. I'm talking about track records of guys like Daniel. Big guys with electric arms and control issues. History shows that much, much more often than not, these guys don't pan out. Maybe it's just because everyone gave up on them too soon, but how long are we going to have to wait for Daniel to turn the corner?

Len Barker threw a perfect game, doesn't mean he was going to be amazing.

I give up on Cabrera pretty easily because we've been watching this for years now. One dominating start followed by some horrific games.

History books can absolutely compete with the eyes...I remember a young flamethrower we had in the pen named Brad Pennington, look what happened to him.

Gotta know when to cut the ties, I think the time is now for Cabrera. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but it's time to get him outta here and see what we can get for him.

There have been plenty of pitchers who have pitched no-hitters that weren't very talented.

I don't think anyone is advocating "giving up on him". People are advocating moving him if the right deal came along. I tend to agree with you that I'd rather not trade him, but I'd have no issues doing so if we got a decent return.

Those will come with maturity. He is still young. I see a strong second half for him.

What I like most this year is that he has regained his composure in games he was pitching bad. One step at a time.

I might be able to get behind this, if Cabrera was showing some actual improvement as he gets older/experience, but he's REgressing from year to year. Plus, he has the supposed best pitching coach in baseball working with him.

If we can get a solid young hitter for him, I say do it. Just trade him to the NL, that way if he becomes the next Randy Johnson, at least we won't have to deal with him.

My thoughts here aren't a knee jerk reaction to tonight's start, because I said we should trade him earlier today. I don't think we wait until his next dominant start, I say we trade him as soon as possible, before he keeps racking up medicore starts and in hopes that some out there think he has bigger upside. I just dont see it ever happening with this guy. Like Ponson (and I'm not saying they are similar pitchers, just similar situations), we could wait too long for him to 'put it together' and end up with nothing..

Nothing? Come on, we got something for Ponson... We got Jason Grimsley and all the baggage he brought with him- and left with as he named names in the steroids saga!:D

I was telling people last year that we should trade Cabrera to the Diamondbacks for Carlos Gonzalez. Carlos was an A ball prospect back then.

I was laughed at.

I knew from the get-go Cabrera wasn't much.

I'm sorry but this guy is worse than Ben McDonald,Sid Ponson, and even Brad Pennington (now that's BAD).

:eek:

History books are written by people who had eyes :rolleyes:

Boogi I think you just really like this guy and are letting that fact skew your perception. You're talking like Daniel Cabrera is Cy Young reincarnated here. Yeah, he can dominate. But his dominant starts are becoming fewer and further between.

Not really. I get crazy watching him. But I just dont want to see the Orioles give up on the guy and watch him have 20 game seasons. So far they have done the right thing and let the guy pitch. Its not about his stuff, its about his mind. And he will grow.

This man is still young. Would you really give up on him at this point after 2 full years? He is 37-39 with 4.83 ERA. With tremendous upside.

There have been plenty of pitchers who have pitched no-hitters that weren't very talented.

I don't think anyone is advocating "giving up on him". People are advocating moving him if the right deal came along. I tend to agree with you that I'd rather not trade him, but I'd have no issues doing so if we got a decent return.

Read the post above yours.

Archived