Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

I suspect the Braves will DFA O'day next spring   

I seriously doubt that.    He’s no longer a dominant reliever, but he’s decent and a great clubhouse guy. They’re going to pay his salary either way so they might as well use him.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Really?  Shedding payroll is a horrible thing?  It's not just NEXT year, it's for the following years, too.  It's for when some of these guys come up and contribute we can extend them before they hit FA.  So we avoid another Manny situation.  

Next year, really?  C'mon.  

Yes, it's a horrible thing.  I'm not sure why this is complicated.  

What do we need to shed payroll for at the expense of prospects?  It made some sense sending Webb to the Dodgers with the draft pick to shed his salary.  We were trying to compete that year, and so needed the freed up payroll.

We aren't trying to compete next year.  Our entire mentality should be the complete opposite right now.  What can we do to expand the prospect return at the cost of the short term?   We just sacrificed a prospect return to free up money to do absolutely nothing with it.  Or at least anything we should be doing.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

Because they threw in $2.5M in slot money. Gausman for VVM. We now have over $6M in intl slot money.

Could have done VMM without the extra slot money. We already had the ability to offer the most. Should have ate the Oday contract and gotten one of those elite pitching prospects back.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Braves are very well run organization. I'd say we got fleeced a bit. Gausman in the NL with outfielders who can actually catch is going to be very good. Hopefully not Jake Arietta good but very good for two more years

I suspect the Braves will DFA O'day next spring.

Silver lining is the International Slot money and what big plan the O's have for it.

And eat $9M salary? I think they'll use him, hope he's a 3 something ERA reliever.

Edited by terpfan101

1 minute ago, jgjbanker said:

Agree on the Braves trade. Underwhelming at best. With all of the money we have already shed, I would have preferred to keep O'Day and try to move him at next year's trade line and try to get a better return for Gaus. 

Zimmermann is an extremely underrated arm, looks like he could be a high upside candidate- https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/7/10/17551486/the-rise-of-atlanta-braves-minor-league-prospect-bruce-zimmermann

Phillips, meanwhile, could form a dominate back end of the bullpen with Cody Carroll if they pitch up to their numbers in AAA as dominate relievers.  

1 minute ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, it's a horrible thing.  I'm not sure why this is complicated.  

What do we need to shed payroll for at the expense of prospects?  It made some sense sending Webb to the Dodgers with the draft pick to shed his salary.  We were trying to compete that year, and so needed the freed up payroll.

We aren't trying to compete next year.  Our entire mentality should be the complete opposite right now.  What can we do to expand the prospect return at the cost of the short term?   We just sacrificed a prospect return to free up money to do absolutely nothing with it.  Or at least anything we should be doing.  

Why do you think they wanted 2.5 M from Braves?  Where is that money going?  Prospects.  

1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

Could have done VMM without the extra slot money. We already had the ability to offer the most. Should have ate the Oday contract and gotten one of those elite pitching prospects back.

Marlins were making a push for VVM. Yankees got over 3 million this week. Perhaps the Orioles view VVM as the center piece for the future of the organization. Wanted to guarantee his signing.

• Upvote 2