Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

17 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, I'll take every team's Chris Davis and Trumbo right now if their contracts align with our rebuild.   Now if they are on the books for the next 10 years, obviously I don't want that.  But 0 WAR players that are making too much money and teams want to get rid of?  Let me have them.  Send me your top prospects and I'll take them.  Build up an elite farm system.  And about the time where all of these prospects I've "bought" are ready to turn us into a competitor, is the time these salaries are coming off the books.  And now I take that money and invest it in legit free agents to supplement the young, cost controlled players I brought.  

That's called a rebuild. 

There is another way to look at this.

The Orioles have a bad to terrible farm organization and haven't invested in international scouting and player development the way other teams with top minor league development organizations have done. The O's aren't stacked with unlimited funds. DD certainly has a maximum budget he can invest in all aspects of the organization.

Your strategy would lock up all the O's money in dead contracts at the major league level in order to bring prospects into a broken minor league system with no assets left to improve player development. I believe DD wants to free up cash to rebuild the organization top to bottom with world class scouts and player development people so that the prospects we do have actually have the best chance to succeed. You can't do that if you don't have cash resources to hire top people and to invest in infrastructure.

So I disagree with your thesis. I hope the O's are shedding Major League payroll so that they can re-allocate that money to signing draft picks and international prospects and hire in top scouts, coaches and developmental resources. We need that foundation in place to maximize our opportunities 3+ years from now which is the logical time frame for this kind of rebuild.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

I'm talking about not sacrificing prospect returns.  And what is actually the smarter payroll strategy during a real build.  

You are completely missing the point that our payroll has been too high for the return the last few years, we spent over what we should have for our market.  We now will bring even less in with a bad team so you have to really drop the payroll.  You can’t keep a 120 million payroll on a bad team when you not bringing in any money.

You complained when they were spending money and not rebuilding then now they decide to rebuild and blow it up and again you complain.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Glasnow is a reliever, Meadows shine has come off.

Wasn't great.

Meadows has an .800s OPS in the bigs this year. The hell are some of you people talking about.

Basically got 4 non prospects to dump O'Day's salary.

Now, yes, the 2.5 million could land us VVM so I guess the jury is still out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Glasnow is a reliever, Meadows shine has come off.

Wasn't great.

I'm not buying that. Glasnow was one of their best starting pitching prospects less then a year ago (ahead of Taillon). And Meadows hasn't gotten enough MLB ABs for his "shine to come off". 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's their problem. If I was Duquette and they forced Villar down my throat you're damn sure I would have been asking for one of their top prospects. 

The Brewers aren’t the Yankees. Schoop’s salary is going to Milwaukee.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So if I understand you correctly you're upset that:

We traded a pitcher we all overvalued and who most likely wasn't going to reach his full potential in Baltimore and a broken, expensive reliever for:

2.5 million in international money

4 prospects

And why is this bad?

I think DD did good. I try to be positive about the future of the team. 

1 minute ago, LarryHarlow said:

I think his point, or belief, is that if O'Day hadn't been included, we would have received better prospects in return.  Assuming that is true, it makes sense, and we shouldn't have traded O'Day.

There's no proof that having O'Day not included would have made the trade better.   That's what he'd like to believe, but there's no proof that it's the case.

In other words:

Gausman to the Braves for good prospects

Gausman and O'Day to the Braves for not as good prospects

Keep in mind as of earlier this afternoon there were two other suitors for Gausman. That was widely reported.  The Braves weren't the only team to tango with.

So DD intentionally took worse prospects from the Braves in order to get rid of O'Day?  I find it hard to believe and wildly speculative.  

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

Meadows has an .800s OPS in the bigs this year. The hell are some of you people talking about.

Basically got 4 non prospects to dump O'Day's salary.

Now, yes, the 2.5 million could land us VVM so I guess the jury is still out.

Meadows went on a tear for a month. Still doesn't project as any stud. He's better than anyone we got, but Archer was getting a bigger return whether we thought so or not.

We likely locked up VVM and got 4 legit pieces. JCE and Cumberland are both rock solid pieces. What the hell are you talking about is the question.

Also, one is a damn good RP. The other arm is playing up this year and has upside.

Just now, eddie83 said:

The Brewers aren’t the Yankees. Schoop’s salary is going to Milwaukee.  

Then you hold off and trade him after the season. I said all along they should trade Gausman and Schoop IF they get the right offer. It wasn't a Machado / Britton situation where they had to be traded now. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not buying that. Glasnow was one of their best starting pitching prospects less then a year ago (ahead of Taillon). And Meadows hasn't gotten enough MLB ABs for his "shine to come off". 

Glasnow has zero command and getting lit up out of the pen even. Believe what you want. His value has taken a large hit.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. You were consistently against trades like Webb and Matusz. But we could need the money for VVM. 

I'm good with including the International slot money.

But the O's are shedding enough payroll that they shouldn't have to take lesser prospects to dump O'Day's contract.