Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

I think we were spoiled a little by the first two trades of the offseason. There are no blue chippers here, but there's some potential. This becomes a solid A- if that slot money turns into VVM. It's all about context.

Also, I don't mind excising Gausman. Maybe he finds himself in ATL. But if we're really honest about what he's been with the O's, it's that he's been a tease.

The guy is at his best when the season is already over. And I've never seen a pitcher blow leads as consistently as Kevin Gausman. Sometimes it felt like clockwork. If the O's got him a lead, he'd just give it back.

I voted C.  It really could turn out as an A if we use the international bonus money to sign Mesa.  On the other hand, if we don't sign Mesa it could be an F.  Thus, I averaged the two grades and came up with a C....

6 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

I like that they unloaded O'Day (as much as I appreciated everything he did here) and that they got back a whole lot of international slot cash, but I'm not overwhelmed by the players coming back.

Yeah this. I give it a C-

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

F.

Terrible trade, they leveraged Gausman's value into dumping O'Day's salary. They didn't need to trade Gausman and none of the players coming back look to be impact Major League players.

I also don't believe that the Orioles will use all of their international money, most of the good players have already signed, and international scouting is a long game not one you can dive into at the drop of a hat. I don't think that this $2.5 million is the difference in acquiring VVM and not acquiring him, they already had the most money.

Then why did they make the deal? What good is the Int money? 

People seem to act like Gausman was Cy Young. A 39-51 career record isn't good no matter how you slice it. Yes, he has skills but I think he also was a bit of a head case and never put it together here. I wish him well but we made the right move. And, if the international money helps you get Mesa, it's a very good B+ deal.

Edited by gtman55

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I was curious how GRod would pitch given that huge crowd and electric atmosphere. I feel like he has a tendency to get too amped up and overthrow. Granted I didn’t start watching until inning 3, but he looked absolutely in control and executed his pitches.  Certainly a big step forward as far as I’m concerned.
    • Unless Santander goes on an absolute tear the rest of the season, I don't think he turns down a qualifying offer. And even then, it'd be real easy to look at FA deals for 30-ish year old outfielders who are good regulars but not stars and realize there's a good chance he won't beat a QO in guaranteed money, especially with a QO attached. As much as I'd like the pick, I don't want to gamble 20-30M and another year of stunted opportunity for our young outfielders on Santander turning down a QO.
    • Yeah, it's getting to the point where I'm not going to cry if McDermott finishes the year in AAA. I'm not against bringing him up necessarily, but he's clearly got more work to do on control/command if he wants to be a good major league starter long-term.
    • Are there any other qualifications other than signing a contract for 50+M?  A contract of that value spread over 3-4 years would give him a raise and make other teams give some consideration to sign him.  I think that's the only way a QO would work for him.  But I don't think they put him in jeopardy - altho the Orioles could match an offer, I suppose.  I think they value him pretty highly even if he won't command top money. 
    • I did say "unlikely" before "no matter what." Now that I re-read that though, it's kind of a bizarre sentence so I can see why you interpreted it that way. Of course there's a shot a player taken at 1-22 succeeds. Elias is certainly above average at drafting, possibly well above average, but the odds are still against him here, as they are for pretty much any individual pick he makes. I'm not trying to knock Elias here, just stating the fact that the vast majority of players selected in the back of the first round don't turn into solid regulars and so you shouldn't pass up someone you think is more likely to succeed here to draft "for need." I'm certain someone who will be available at this pick will have an incredible major league career. The odds are against it being whoever we draft though. That's just math.
    • I used to think we had a plethora of outfielders ready to replace the current guys, but not I'm not sure. Cowser is one. Does the FO trust Stowers? Heston is another as far as his bat goes, but how bad is the defense if you have Stowers, Cowser and Heston? How long before Bradfield is ready? Will Norby or Mayo move to the OF? Does that make it any better. If Santander has his typical year, I would give him the QO. So what if you have to pay him large for one year? It's not like our payroll is high right now.  
    • Or maybe he just is hesitant because he knows it’s best to give up a single than letting it get by you for a triple or inside the park homerun. I highly doubt Cowser gives a crap about WAR. There is nothing in the guy’s demeanor, personality, or anything that suggests he chases stats and places himself above the team. To say otherwise is quite ridiculous at best, and malicious at worst. He is a rookie and he will get more comfortable as he plays. With that comfortability will come trusting his ability more and more. Why even suggest a thing like you are suggesting? Just pathetic quite frankly on your part.
  • Popular Contributors