Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

I gave this one a C. I really only like Encarnacion of the guys we have coming back in the trade, but 2.5 in International bucks pushes up to a C for me. If not for the $$$$, I would rank it a D. I was a little let down with the prospect haul.

I'm going w/ a D because I think the Orioles traded him for the sake of trading him and the O'Day throw in was unnecessary unless the Braves saw some value in him.

The return is underwelming to say the least. Yes, it could end up being a C....but we traded Machado and Britton for quantity....and then we turned around and did the same thing for Gausman when we should be focused on quality.

F

The Braves stole Gausman from the O's for $14m.  12m of O'Day salary and almost 2m for Gausman.

The O's did not get 2.5m in international slot money.   The O's got the right to spend 2.5m of the O's money in the international market.  The Braves do not send the O's that money.

The suspects the O's got are depressing.

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I guess we will find out. It was only meaningful as a trade asset to the Braves, they couldn't spend it anyway because they were over the limit in the past. Hopefully the Orioles use it and get something out of it. Would love to be wrong. A cost-controlled mid-rotation starter should bring back more.

Yeah.  Put me down for a D not an F, but I don't see why moving Gausman had to be now and not during the offseason.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

F.

Terrible trade, they leveraged Gausman's value into dumping O'Day's salary. They didn't need to trade Gausman and none of the players coming back look to be impact Major League players.

I also don't believe that the Orioles will use all of their international money, most of the good players have already signed, and international scouting is a long game not one you can dive into at the drop of a hat. I don't think that this $2.5 million is the difference in acquiring VVM and not acquiring him, they already had the most money.

I heard the MFY may have had as much prior to this deal.  That was reported by Mewelski on 105.7

Didn't vote to me i would of graded incomplete till we see what the 2.5 million gets us if it helps push us over to get victor victor mesa his brother and others then i would give this an a. If it doesnt id give it a c. I like the catcher and 3b prospects atleast the writeups and videos i could pull up. The pitchers i could only really look at stats they seem to be ok. I mean a top 15  20yo prospect who has been moving up the braves system a stacked system would seem like a good get. And there is value to shedding odays salary if those resources are allocated to scouting and development.

Give it a B.  You guys aren't focusing on the real thing here which is the international money.  VVM + others makes this a winner.  

Anyone bashing this trade is just petrified that he turns into another Arrieta.  Newsflash, Arrieta wasn't going to work here.  Neither was Gausman.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Give it a B.  You guys aren't focusing on the real thing here which is the international money.  VVM + others makes this a winner.  

Anyone bashing this trade is just petrified that he turns into another Arrieta.  Newsflash, Arrieta wasn't going to work here.  Neither was Gausman.  

So change the "here" (the coaching and development), rather than dump talented pitchers.

• Upvote 2