Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

7 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Archer obliterated once again while Glasnow has now had two dominant outings v Clev — Pitt fans should be infuriated. Meanwhile, Gausman gets another win for Atlanta, this one over Max.

Max had a rare bad night. You can spin this that Gausman got the win, but his pitching line was poor. 

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Archer obliterated once again, while Glasnow has now had two dominant outings vs. Cleveland. Pittsburgh fans should be infuriated. Meanwhile, Gausman gets another win for Atlanta, this one over Max.

1 hour ago, Mendoza Line said:

Max had a rare bad night. You can spin this that Gausman got the win, but his pitching line was poor. 

o

Correct.

I cited the fact that Gausman got the W in my post, but I also made it clear that he had a mediocre overall line ........ it was not a disastrous outing, but it certainly wasn't worthy of a "Hey, he outpitched Max Scherzer" proclamation without any surrounding context.

This particular context is reminiscent of the other end of the spectrum in which Felix Hernandez once won a Cy Young Award with a 13-12 W-L record, and Jacob deGrom is one of the top contenders to win one this season in spite of the fact that he has an 8-9 W-L record because he leads the Majors in ERA (1.71) and HR's Per-9-Innings (0.415), and leads the National League in ERA+ (216) and FIP (2.06.)

o

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Correct.

I cited the fact that Gausman got the W in my post, but I also made it clear that he had a mediocre overall line ........ it was not a disastrous outing, but it certainly wasn't worthy of a "Hey, he outpitched Max Scherzer" proclamation without any surrounding context.

This particular context is reminiscent of the other end of the spectrum in which Felix Hernandez once won a Cy Young Award with a 13-12 W-L record, and Jacob deGrom is one of the top contenders to win one this season in spite of the fact that he has an 8-9 W-L record because he leads the Majors in ERA (1.71) and HR's Per-9-Innings (0.415), and leads the National League in ERA+ (216) and FIP (2.06.)

o

Juan Soto with the oppo taco off ex-Oriole Gausman:

5-2, 2.61 ERA 6 S 48.1 IP  40 H,  .226 avg, 1.10 WHIP

Acquired for several suspects, some slot money and taking O'Day's  contract.   I think Braves management and ownership are smiling a broad smile.  They know they got a steal.

Gausman  and Foltynewicz have been the Braves best starters since the All-Start break.  Tied of #1 on the team.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Acquired for several suspects, some slot money and taking O'Day's  contract.   I think Braves management and ownership are smiling a broad smile.  They know they gone a steal.

Gausman  and Foltynewicz have been the Braves best starters since the All-Start break.  Tied of #1 on the team.

You’ve stated your opinion about 100 times now.   We get it.   I won’t repeat my opinion, which I’ve also stated several times.     

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

You’ve stated your opinion about 100 times now.   We get it.   I won’t repeat my opinion, which I’ve also stated several times.     

If you  or someone else would have posted his Braves record than I would not have had to post.

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Acquired for several suspects, some slot money and taking O'Day's  contract.   I think Braves management and ownership are smiling a broad smile.  They know they got a steal.

2018 Orioles  K 19.5%  walk 6.0% Hard hit 32.1%

2018 Braves  K 16.1%  walk 6.7% Hard hit 44.2%

He's pitching worse, but with a better defense, bigger parks, weaker lineups, and more luck.

So far, that's what's happening. 

28 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He's pitching worse, but with a better defense, bigger parks, weaker lineups, and more luck.

One of my points all along has been that if Gausman went to a team with better offense, defense and pen he would be a #1 or #2 starter.  That appears be happening.   He only looked like a #4  because of his poor support with he O's.

From what I have read Gausman is now throwing his splitter more which causes more ground balls and less homers.  That might also account for his strikeout dropping a little.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Confidence can do wonders. Gee I’m facing the Mets lineup tonight versus the Sawx or Yanks. 

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

113 National League pitchers have made five or more starts this year.  Gausman is 107th in K/9, at 5.8.  He has a 3.88 FIP, and a 4.38 xFIP.  His walk rate is higher than it was in Baltimore.  And his BABIP is 58 points lower than his career mark.

All of that points to an nice little 8-start run where he's seen a lot of balls hit at his fielders and that's making up for a disconcertingly low strikeout rate.  But if you want to dabble in the dark arts and assume the ghost of Leo Mazzone has enabled some pitching to contact wizardry that's fine, too.

Archived