Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

28 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Gausman had a poor outing Monday.

Not that I want the kick the guy.

I find it ironic, all those up in arms, everytime he pitched well, remained silent, when he didn't.

We actually did have an extended conversation about that here, but look at his stats with Atlanta - after that one bad game.  He's one of the significant reasons they're up 6.5 games in the NL East - despite being a green team.        

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

We actually did have an extended conversation about that here, but look at his stats with Atlanta - after that one bad game.  He's one of the significant reasons they're up 6.5 games in the NL East - despite being a green team.        

He has pitched outstanding for them, there is no denying that.

It is possible that O'Day may indeed have value to the Braves.  It is highly unlikely that he would have had any value to the Orioles, other than a possible increase in trade value if he performed really well before the deadline next year.  Trading him without having to eat any of this year's remaining salary or next year's salary is a good thing.  Trading O'Day now made sense.  We fans have a hard time seeing the value of the salary savings versus receiving better prospects in a trade, since that money doesn't really matter to us, and it is hard for us to know what benefit that savings ends up having.  It may go hand in hand with receiving the slot "money" from the Braves.  The slot "money" ensures that the Braves don't trade it to one of the other teams vying for Victor Victor, keeping us as the team able to offer him the most money.  The salary savings may give us the actual money needed to do so, since the Orioles had previously not budgeted that kind of money for signing international free agents.  I'd like to believe that the Orioles feel pretty confident in being able to sign him.  That would certainly make the Gausman trade more understandable.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Gausman had a poor outing Monday.

Not that I want the kick the guy.

I find it ironic, all those up in arms, everytime he pitched well, remained silent, when he didn't.

I have not been silent on his bad outing.   I didn't expect him to not lose another game when he was traded.   He has a 2.32 ERA with the Braves.   That is pretty dare good.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I am glad he has had that opportunity. Ever since he bailed out Wei Chen in the playoffs when we were going to win the World Series, I was a huge fan of  his.,

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

It is possible that O'Day may indeed have value to the Braves.  It is highly unlikely that he would have had any value to the Orioles, other than a possible increase in trade value if he performed really well before the deadline next year.  Trading him without having to eat any of this year's remaining salary or next year's salary is a good thing.  Trading O'Day now made sense.  We fans have a hard time seeing the value of the salary savings versus receiving better prospects in a trade, since that money doesn't really matter to us, and it is hard for us to know what benefit that savings ends up having.  It may go hand in hand with receiving the slot "money" from the Braves.  The slot "money" ensures that the Braves don't trade it to one of the other teams vying for Victor Victor, keeping us as the team able to offer him the most money.  The salary savings may give us the actual money needed to do so, since the Orioles had previously not budgeted that kind of money for signing international free agents.  I'd like to believe that the Orioles feel pretty confident in being able to sign him.  That would certainly make the Gausman trade more understandable.

Salary savings mean nothing unless they turn around and reinvest that money into the team. Plus they had already shed a ton of salary this season (Manny, Britton, Schoop, Brach, Gausman, etc.) and have even more coming off the books next season. This was not a team that "had" to dump salary to stay afloat. 

28 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Salary savings mean nothing unless they turn around and reinvest that money into the team. Plus they had already shed a ton of salary this season (Manny, Britton, Schoop, Brach, Gausman, etc.) and have even more coming off the books next season. This was not a team that "had" to dump salary to stay afloat. 

So the season is lost, and the horizon is bleak while you rebuild, why not dump salary, its not like that salary was winning games for the team?

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So the season is lost, and the horizon is bleak while you rebuild, why not dump salary, its not like that salary was winning games for the team?

Dumping salary and thus lessening the prospect return is moronic and counter productive.

Traded our best and last trade chip and didn't get a single legit prospect.

Just now, Finisher said:

Dumping salary and thus lessening the prospect return is moronic and counter productive.

I suspect Gausman had been on the trading block along with Britton and Schoop for a few weeks, and this was the best deal they was given.

We do not know exactly what ownership told DD they wanted done.

For you to say, not a single legit prospect was received, could be a bit over the top.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I suspect Gausman had been on the trading block along with Britton and Schoop for a few weeks, and this was the best deal they was given.

For you to say, not a single legit prospect was received, could be a bit over the top.

Exactly. But, Wha. 

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The key word is "rebuild". We need prospects to rebuild. That is BY FAR the most important part of this process. Not all these prospects will work out (they never do). That's why you have to play the percentages and stock the farm system with as many good prospects as you can. It has nothing to do with winning games now. It has to do with winning games 3 - 4 years from now. Sacrificing prospects for salary relief makes no sense for a team that's already shed a lot of salary. 

25 minutes ago, Finisher said:

This. And there's really no other argument against it unless you're the accountant for the Angelos' family. It was a shortsighted move for a team that's "supposedly" looking towards the future now. 

25 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Irrelevant. This is not critique of just Duquette, it's a critique of the move made by the team. I'd argue that  if ownership ordered him to dump salary it's even worse. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The key word is "rebuild". We need prospects to rebuild. That is BY FAR the most important part of this process. Not all these prospects will work out (they never do). That's why you have to play the percentages and stock the farm system with as many good prospects as you can. It has nothing to do with winning games now. It has to do with winning games 3 - 4 years from now. Sacrificing prospects for salary relief makes no sense for a team that's already shed a lot of salary. 

They got over 15 prospects in return for the 3 vets, did they not?

And you neglect to mention the international slot money for VMM, which surely had to have a part in this trade.

Archived