Grade the Schoop Deal

Frobby

Grade the Schoop Deal  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Schoop Deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:26

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Injured 27-year-old middle infielder plus two 18-year-old lottery tickets.  Meh.

I'm confused.  Ortiz is 22.  And not really much of a lottery ticket, he has some talent.  Carmona is a lottery ticket but a potentially good one on most accounts.

B.  Boom or bust with Carmona.  But that's exactly what we needed in our system; toolsy middle infielders with high upside and high risk.  I like Ortiz, but the conditioning concerns worry me a bit.  Pretty good, but not great trade...which tells me it's probably fair for both sides.

1 minute ago, Otter said:

B.  Boom or bust with Carmona.  But that's exactly what we needed in our system; toolsy middle infielders with high upside and high risk.  I like Ortiz, but the conditioning concerns worry me a bit.  Pretty good, but not great trade...which tells me it's probably fair for both sides.

Well what else does Brady have to do?  He won’t be ruining us with bad FA deals now  

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'm confused.  Ortiz is 22.  And not really much of a lottery ticket, he has some talent.  Carmona is a lottery ticket but a potentially good one on most accounts.

Looks like MLBTR linked the wrong Ortiz in their article.  They had this guy:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ortiz-009lui

I stand corrected!

Also, Ortiz is a guy with two 60 grade pitches with a groundball percentage over 50% and a high strikeout rate. He is projected to become a number 3 starter, but his ceiling may be higher. Touches 97 mph with the fastball. Could breakout big time with improved conditioning and he already has a third average pitch.

I gave this trade a B. Ortiz is a real good high floor starter prospect with excellent stuff. Carmona is an exciting, yet far away, high ceiling SS. Villar is really just a place holder, but that is needed also while our kids develop. This is a solid trade.

It all comes down to your view of prospect whether you like a trade or not feel we myself included get hung up on the number of a prospect in a system or overall. The overall grade 55 50 45 feels to have more importance atleast to me. And the farther away from the show a prospect is he will likely be lower on prospect list. I like the write ups and ratings ive read abiut both ortiz and carmona. I also like the game videos im seen of both. Feel as tho if we held on we werent resigning schoop and this could should be level we may get back for 1 year of schoop if we waited till offseason. But a bird in the hand better than a bird in the bush look britton got injured in offseason. So i graded the trade a b i like both ortiz and carmona.

Archived