Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Getting credit for a full year of service time and being eligible for arbitration are two separate issues.   The date for the former is always known.   It’s 171 calendar days before the end of season (inclusive of the final day).       It’s the date for eligibility for arbitration that moves around a bit.

Thanks. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On August 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Dannyboy said:

The ball was never fully in Mullins glove, it skimmed right off the glove, bounced,  rolled along the wall and then towards left field. Watching the replay you can see Mullins flinch, then slide on the warning track.  After the play you can see him asking Mancini if he heard him.

I'm not speculating about whether or not Mullins was conscious of Mancini closing in. I'm saying that the ball hit the inside of his glove and it was in far enough so that, by touch alone, he could have closed the glove on the ball and caught it. Mancini's approach may have made that harder to do, as well as the speed and effort with which Mullins ran that far to intersect with the ball. But by his level, sometimes balls are caught by feeling the ball hit the glove, just like a receiver in football often catches a pass by touch rather than seeing it all the way into his hands. If Mullins was distracted from doing so, Ok, that's understandable, and, like I said, I'm sure they're taking steps to avoid potential conflicts like that in the future.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

I'm not speculating about whether or not Mullins was conscious of Mancini closing in. I'm saying that the ball hit the inside of his glove and it was in far enough so that, by touch alone, he could have closed the glove on the ball and caught it. Mancini's approach may have made that harder to do, as well as the speed and effort with which Mullins ran that far to intersect with the ball. But by his level, sometimes balls are caught by feeling the ball hit the glove, just like a receiver in football often catches a pass by touch rather than seeing it all the way into his hands. If Mullins was distracted from doing so, Ok, that's understandable, and, like I said, I'm sure they're taking steps to avoid potential conflicts like that in the future.

No it didn't and no he couldn't. https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-orioles/2018/08/10/531143#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=531143

5 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

That would have been an amazing catch, if he’d caught it.    It was not in his glove, but he might have had a chance to grab it if Mancini hadn’t converged with him at the last second.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

That would have been an amazing catch, if he’d caught it.    It was not in his glove, but he might have had a chance to grab it if Mancini hadn’t converged with him at the last second.    

The fact that he even got there was what impressed me. 

On 8/10/2018 at 11:45 AM, Beef Supreme said:

How many years would the Orioles have to offer in a contract to ensure that "AJ would retire as an Oriole?"

Are you suggesting that Adam Jones will/might/should be retiring following the 2018 season?

On 8/10/2018 at 2:02 PM, Tx Oriole said:

Yes. He won't though. 

If you don't want to re-sign him, then the only scenario in which I foresee Adam Jones retiring as an Oriole would be if the team trades for him a few years from now. You are correct that Jones will not be retiring at season's end. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wish they had the statcast catch probability.

o

Mullins' first MLB career home run was solo shot in the top of the 8th inning, and it gave Alexander Miller Cobb and company some breathing room in what was a very close game.

(vs. INDIANS, 8/18)

NUMBER 1

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

o

17 minutes ago, weams said:

But, it would be wrong also. Just like all the fielding stats. 

I don’t see why.     The criteria are quite objectively determinable without human judgment:

Where was the outfielder stationed?

Where did the ball go?

How long did the ball take to get there?

Based on those three variables you calculate the probability of a catch.   Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Now, is it perfect?   I guess not.    I don’t think slicing or hooking, wind effects, or field conditions (wetness, position of the sun) are accounted for.    But it’s still a very good measure, and much better than the other advanced metrics IMO.

21 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 19th)

Mullins already has 5 Doubles in only 33 Plate Appearances (29 At-Bats.)

o

He's going to be a doubles machine.  Quick bat.  Can pull the inside fastball down the line. Reminds me of Brian Roberts in that way.  

Archived