Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, sangar said:

Haven't I read several times on this board that Mesa's ceiling is Craig Genty?

So he has the potential to one day be a light hitting mediocre backup role player?

I don't get the enthusiasm.

How familiar are you with Gentry's career?

If Mesa ends up at 2012-2013 Gentry level (Pre-concussion issues) I'd be pleased.  Of course I'd expect VVM to start his ML career a few years earlier than Gentry did.

I'm pretty impressed Gentry made it back to play as well as he did this year. 

2 hours ago, sangar said:

So he has the potential to one day be a light hitting mediocre backup role player?

I haven’t read that comparison once from anyone here. If VVM has a ceiling of Gentry then they should trade the money again. And I’m a Gentry fan. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You would have a problem with a 109 OPS+, plus defense in center and 24/27 stolen bases?

Gentry did that once. So, yes. I see his ceiling as much higher than that. Any eventual comp to ‘good’ Gentry would be a disappointment.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes. I see his ceiling as much higher than that. Any eventual comp to ‘good’ Gentry would be a disappointment.

Alright.

We disagree.

I will say that I didn't see enough of Gentry to get a solid read on his defense before the injuries.  It is possible that VVM would be superior.

Gentry had a 4 year period where he put up 9.7 WAR. I'd say that's pretty solid. And if VVM plays for the Orioles, he'd presumably be called up sooner. Gentry didn't get more than 35 plate appearances until he 27 years old. I'd hope (expect) VVM to be up in a more regular appearance by the time he's 24-25.

3 hours ago, sangar said:

His ceiling isn't Craig Gentry. He has significantly more pop than prime Gentry. The question with VVM is hit tool, he struggled in a SSS in the Canadian-American Association in 2017. 

As with anyone with hit tool questions but big tools otherwise, there is a wide range of outcomes. He could never figure out MLB pitching, or he could be an all-star caliber player if he can get to average hit tool. The swing works and there is bat speed so it's going to be a matter of pitch and zone recognition. I have no idea of whether he'll develop those qualities, I'd need to see him against high minors pitching before I'd be comfortable making that assessment.

I think Albert Almora Jr is a reasonable projection but the error bars are big here. 

Archived