Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

If he played every day.  But he only played half the games. Because even in his very short prime he couldn't hit right handers.   I cant believe I even have to argue this. 

I’m sure some of us feel as though we can’t believe we have to argue against you. 

A-his ceiling isn’t Gentry, I have not seen anyone say that prior to today. 

2-Gentry got roughly $7mm over the last 6 years. I’d give a $4mm signing bonus to anyone that would produce Gentry’s career(if it was guaranteed they produced that)

finally-you would probably call the team cheap if this was pre-cba for the current system. Crying he is the top guy, why won’t they cough up the $15+ million some other team was willing to?  

I mean really, you have a chance at one of the top int prospects for 3-7 million(bottom to absolute max) why are you so hung up on one person asking about his ceiling being Gentry when it has never been said before and probably isn’t his ceiling? If I told you his ceiling in my view was Starling Marte, would you be having these same reservations?  I would hope it is his trajectory but there is too little info and competition to make that a definitive opinion. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sevastras said:

I’m sure some of us feel as though we can’t believe we have to argue against you. 

A-his ceiling isn’t Gentry, I have not seen anyone say that prior to today. 

2-Gentry got roughly $7mm over the last 6 years. I’d give a $4mm signing bonus to anyone that would produce Gentry’s career(if it was guaranteed they produced that)

finally-you would probably call the team cheap if this was pre-cba for the current system. Crying he is the top guy, why won’t they cough up the $15+ million some other team was willing to?  

I mean really, you have a chance at one of the top int prospects for 3-7 million(bottom to absolute max) why are you so hung up on one person asking about his ceiling being Gentry when it has never been said before and probably isn’t his ceiling? If I told you his ceiling in my view was Starling Marte, would you be having these same reservations?  I would hope it is his trajectory but there is too little info and competition to make that a definitive opinion. 

Good post. 

Comps for MLB players are great but what about just comparing him to recent intl top prospects. Look at the 2015 top 30 list by MLB pipeline,

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015/?list=int

Littered with top 100 prospects and guys already in the MLB. Diaz is #3 btw. 

I’ve seen Diaz given an overall scouting grade of a 60. To put that into perspective only ONE player from the last draft had a grade of 60. Casey Mize. 

Right now we have the opportunity to sign the top international free agent and on a discount since it’s so late in the game that all the teams have reached their limit. 

I don’t think it’s make or break that we sign him, but if we’re not going to jump in and sign him, then when are we ever going to participate?  This is too good of a situation to pass up on. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Comps for MLB players are great but what about just comparing him to recent intl top prospects. Look at the 2015 top 30 list by MLB pipeline,

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015/?list=int

Littered with top 100 prospects and guys already in the MLB. Diaz is #3 btw. 

I’ve seen Diaz given an overall scouting grade of a 60. To put that into perspective only ONE player from the last draft had a grade of 60. Casey Mize. 

Right now we have the opportunity to sign the top international free agent and on a discount since it’s so late in the game that all the teams have reached their limit. 

I don’t think it’s make or break that we sign him, but if we’re not going to jump in and sign him, then when are we ever going to participate?  This is too good of a situation to pass up on. 

I agree. 

On 9/14/2018 at 3:15 PM, Tony-OH said:

I believe the longer he doesn't sign the better chance for the Orioles to sign him. I'm worried that the Marlins have Miami, South Beach, and a large Cuban fanbase to sell him on a few million less than the Orioles. If he was dead set on Miami, he will sign right away. 

At least this is my theory! :D

Or he just wants to be the center of attention for a bit. He seems to like the spotlight...alot.

17 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Or he just wants to be the center of attention for a bit. He seems to like the spotlight...alot.

That's my limited take as well; he's a prima donna.  I could very well be wrong, admittedly.  It just seems like he's someone that would like a bigger stage, and that's in South Florida, amongst his fellow Cubans.

I have no idea if Mesa will become a contributing major league player or not, but he's a much better investment than the 24 year old GCL "prospect" the O's spent 750k on.  I would much prefer the O's spend their international money on actual prospects than buying waiver wire material prospects or dumping contracts, which has been their MO.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:28 PM, Finisher said:

Some people are ignoring VVM's limp offensive stats in the CNS .275/.334/.712 OPS

Puig was over .900 OPS at same ages and levels. Hector Olivera, over .900 OPS, total bust. Moncada .695 OPS this year with Chicago. Majority of these Cubans bust out. With the way we do not develop or help young players I would seriously temper expectations for VVM offensively here.

HAVING SAID THAT at his price point and the fact we have several million more than the next closest competitor there is literally no excuse not to sign VVM. Could also use him as a trade chip similar to Boston with Moncada (I realize Moncada was more highly regarded).

Wait, you think Moncada is a bust? LOL.

Archived