Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

8 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Probably going to catch a lot of flack for this, but the Orioles really aren't the organization that should be signing a guy like Gaston unless they're doing it strictly with intent to move him to another team.Right now the kid is a one trick pony. He's a fastball that hits triple digits at 16 years old, but outside of that he has basically nothing. No offspeed pitches that approach average, no command that approaches average, subpar mechanics, etc etc. Gaston is going to have to be built from the ground up and quite frankly an organization like the Orioles hasn't really shown that they're suited for that type of challenge. 

And steroid whispers. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Some long quotes from Duquette about the Mesa situation in this Melewski piece.     I didn’t like this part much:

”We don’t have that significant of a scouting portfolio on him.   We saw him in the (World Baseball Classic), so we’re going to have to get up to speed.”

Hopefully, he’s just playing possum.   

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/09/duquette-talks-victor-victor-mullins-talks-about-his-big-game.html

Not good. There’s no excuse they can give, including not having a scouting portfolio, that will signal to me they shouldn’t sign him.

No excuse.

I think they should give V V Mesa the amount equal to the Marlins remaining budget and as a package deal give his brother the remaining balance. That would be like adding two high draft picks even if they aren't both 1st rounders. No other team can offer that much and give them the chance to stick together. IMO the Os should hire me to be their new GM ?

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think they should give V V Mesa the amount equal to the Marlins remaining budget and as a package deal give his brother the remaining balance. That would be like adding two high draft picks even if they aren't both 1st rounders. No other team can offer that much and give them the chance to stick together. IMO the Os should hire me to be their new GM ?

That may be what they should do, though they might be able to sign the pair of End Tables for less.

But will the Orioles spend that much money on free agents who have never appeared in an MLB game? Or is the recent talk about getting in on international talent just talk?

And who makes the decision on how much to offer these guys? Does Duquette have that authority -- if he's still around?  Does John Angelos have that authority? Does the owner have to agree, and if so will he?

12 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Probably going to catch a lot of flack for this, but the Orioles really aren't the organization that should be signing a guy like Gaston unless they're doing it strictly with intent to move him to another team.Right now the kid is a one trick pony. He's a fastball that hits triple digits at 16 years old, but outside of that he has basically nothing. No offspeed pitches that approach average, no command that approaches average, subpar mechanics, etc etc. Gaston is going to have to be built from the ground up and quite frankly an organization like the Orioles hasn't really shown that they're suited for that type of challenge. 

You should get a lot more flack for that post. 

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Not good. There’s no excuse they can give, including not having a scouting portfolio, that will signal to me they shouldn’t sign him.

No excuse.

Why do they need a full scouting portfolio on him - just pick up a copy of baseball america.  Man.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Some long quotes from Duquette about the Mesa situation in this Melewski piece.     I didn’t like this part much:

”We don’t have that significant of a scouting portfolio on him.   We saw him in the (World Baseball Classic), so we’re going to have to get up to speed.”

Hopefully, he’s just playing possum.   

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/09/duquette-talks-victor-victor-mullins-talks-about-his-big-game.html

Good thing we got all that cash. 

On 9/17/2018 at 2:04 PM, Frobby said:

I’m not sure why we got off on this tangent.    A poster said that several people on this site had previously stated that Mesa’s ceiling was Craig Gentry.    I don’t believe that anyone said that, or that it’s true.    I do think it’s reasonable to think that Gentry is a possible (even mid-range probable) outcome for Mesa, but that’s not his ceiling.    His ceiling is considerably higher from what I’ve read.   And yeah, I’d pay a $4 mm signing bonus to a player with that profile without much hesitation.   

What if we were to say that VVM's ceiling is what Craig Gentry's ceiling was at a comparable age? That might be more compelling to fans. Gentry never reached his predicted ceiling, after all.

I'm with you: regardless of his so-callled "ceiling," $4MM is affordable for a player with his apparent potential.

On 9/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, spiritof66 said:

That may be what they should do, though they might be able to sign the pair of End Tables for less.

But will the Orioles spend that much money on free agents who have never appeared in an MLB game? Or is the recent talk about getting in on international talent just talk?

And who makes the decision on how much to offer these guys? Does Duquette have that authority -- if he's still around?  Does John Angelos have that authority? Does the owner have to agree, and if so will he?

What was the point of acquiring all that slot money from the Braves if they weren’t going to spend it?

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What was the point of acquiring all that slot money from the Braves if they weren’t going to spend it?

I agree completely. Just trying to point out that, when it comes down to it, the Orioles may not have the commitment to spend all that money or may be too dysfunctional to get deals with the Mesas done.

Archived